Gizza Job

Old Jun 6th 2019, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gizza Job

Originally Posted by Steerpike
OK, here's what I'm talking about ' Amazon Flex':

"To become a Flex driver for Amazon.com deliveries, you need to meet some basic requirements; a smartphone and a 4-door vehicle for starters. Amazon also runs a background check and asks you to watch a series of instructional videos that are always accessible on the app. Other than that, it’s pretty easy to join the program.

Once activated on Flex, you find work by checking on available “blocks” that Amazon offers, which frequently change and vary on time, pay, and pickup location."

One (young) man's story:
https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...ckage-brigade/

Looks like you can control the amount of work you do.
Yes, I think this is where I am headed - the gig economy. Amazon Flex are not looking for drivers in this area, but I can register on a waiting list.
There is another company - Postmates - advertising a similar 'use your own car, choose your own hours' type job. I read the employee (if you can call them that) reviews, and there are a lot of comments on how the pay rate has diminished to the point where it hardly covers the cost of running a car. Still, I am already paying to run the car, so if I get bored enough I will give it a go.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
Yes, I think this is where I am headed - the gig economy. Amazon Flex are not looking for drivers in this area, but I can register on a waiting list.
There is another company - Postmates - advertising a similar 'use your own car, choose your own hours' type job. I read the employee (if you can call them that) reviews, and there are a lot of comments on how the pay rate has diminished to the point where it hardly covers the cost of running a car. Still, I am already paying to run the car, so if I get bored enough I will give it a go.

I was looking into food delivery with various companies who have apps people order through, and talking to a few people I know who tried, after the cost of gas they made almost nothing, probably explains why so many people are riding bikes and delivering food.

Is Uber in your area? Or Lyft? Maybe those could be an option?

Old Jun 7th 2019, 10:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/b...gtype=Homepage
Old Jun 8th 2019, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Sid, do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? They always seem to have a big mix of ages (and aren't the benefits really good?).
Old Jun 8th 2019, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, many often qualify for unemployment benefits. The US is not the dystopia that "media reports" and Usual Suspect posters want you to believe.

However, you will find ageism. It is very difficult to get a new job after you turn 50. So I would be surprised if you find anything for over 65's that isn't culturally stereotyped for retirees - such as Wal-Mart greeter. This can make things very difficult for people who get laid off in their late 50s for example, and many find they have to retire early and take penalties on their retirement accounts.

The other prejudice you will notice is for the long-term unemployed. HR critters really don't like applicants who have been out of work for more than a few weeks and will quietly use that to bin otherwise fine CVs. So that becomes more of a barrier.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Check your local county library departments. A lot of times they need drivers to deliver books from one library to another. Or they need "shelvers for when books are returned.

While you are looking also check the local courthouses. Again they often need part time drivers to deliver paperwork etc from court to court. In this area it is all controlled by the County Clerks office so that might be a good starting point. They always need temporary help with elections and also soon it will be census time, another job opportunity.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
A third applicant was told, “We are not looking for old white guys.”
Tut. Racism and sexism added to ageism. I guess you are not responsible for selecting US Presidential candidates, then.
Actually, I would prefer this type of frank and honest response, rather than faffing about pretending to conduct an interview that both of us know is going nowhere.

Old Jun 8th 2019, 10:21 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

What matters is, do US employers think the same way?
Ironic that you complained of stereotyping, and then lumped "US employers" in to one big bucket

As a small business owner (45 employees) I can categorically tell you that all US employers do not think the same way. We are as diverse as employees. Personally, my hiring practices do not factor in age at all - the ability to do the job well is all that matters. I'm sure some employers do surreptitiously use age in their hiring decisions, some use race, gender, sexual orientation and a whole number of protected classes to illegally make hiring decisions. These are not employers you would want to work for anyway.

It may be a little difficult, impossible, to get any meaningful answers in your quest to explore age discrimination in the workplace with a sample size of just one job candidates quest for employment.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, I am not offended by the 'retired' epithet - "Useless Old Fart" would be a better description. But it is interesting that you made the mental classification 'Retired', and I make it 'Currently out of work'. I think there is some stereotyping going on there. What matters is, do US employers think the same way?

Underlying this job search is a decision as to whether to move back to the UK or not. I could simply retire in the UK and make use of the "free" healthcare and drugs. My thinking is, if I can make enough from paid work to pay for healthcare for the 2 of us, then I prefer to stay in the US. That is why the question of ageism in the US comes up. I think there is a better chance of employment over-65 here. But when I think about it, this impression probably comes from seeing older workers in Walmart and Home Depot. I have no real evidence or experience of ageism in the US. Time will tell.
USPS has been advertising like crazy for Postal employees. They got a crackerjack healthcare program (Mailhandlers) and being government they shouldn't discriminate...and you get all that excercise walking from residence to residence delivering the mail. Should get you in shape.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
USPS has been advertising like crazy for Postal employees. They got a crackerjack healthcare program (Mailhandlers) and being government they shouldn't discriminate...and you get all that excercise walking from residence to residence delivering the mail. Should get you in shape.
I've never seen them leave their car. Must be different in your area.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I was looking into food delivery with various companies who have apps people order through, and talking to a few people I know who tried, after the cost of gas they made almost nothing, probably explains why so many people are riding bikes and delivering food.

Is Uber in your area? Or Lyft? Maybe those could be an option?
Uber / Lyft - if there was any job category I'd want to see some degree of 'ageism' in, this would be it! In the US, local authorities (DMV) are very reluctant to cut off driving privileges to the elderly because they know that driving is a necessity for many elderly folks; so they err on the side of allowing people to drive who otherwise ... shouldn't. I know that some states do require re-testing at certain ages, but I'm not sure they all do. Would be interesting to see what the rules are. Of course, the elderly are less likely to rob, rape, assault, etc ...
Old Jun 9th 2019, 7:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Tut. Racism and sexism added to ageism. I guess you are not responsible for selecting US Presidential candidates, then.
Actually, I would prefer this type of frank and honest response, rather than faffing about pretending to conduct an interview that both of us know is going nowhere.
If a USC were honest, no we are not responsible for selecting the candidates that run for office. They are chosen by their parties and by those who hold the money purses and sit on the thrones of power.

Old Jun 9th 2019, 7:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
Not all mail carriers walk their route. Here in MS while we don't live in the 'country' all mail is delivered via truck which the mail carrier never leaves unless it is to deliver a package.

First up for a job with the USPS would be a military veteran. They get extra points on the test. Then you need to pass the test. Then you are 'considered' for employment. If you have a family member already working for the USPS or a friend, then you will be pushed ahead. My father worked for and retired from the USPS and my first husband was a mail carrier, as well.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not all mail carriers walk their route. Here in MS while we don't live in the 'country' all mail is delivered via truck which the mail carrier never leaves unless it is to deliver a package.

First up for a job with the USPS would be a military veteran. They get extra points on the test. Then you need to pass the test. Then you are 'considered' for employment. If you have a family member already working for the USPS or a friend, then you will be pushed ahead. My father worked for and retired from the USPS and my first husband was a mail carrier, as well.
Don't you have to be a citizen to work for the Postal Service? I thought you did, but I might be wrong.
Is the OP a citizen?
Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:22 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Don't you have to be a citizen to work for the Postal Service? I thought you did, but I might be wrong.
Is the OP a citizen?
You did at one time. Believe they have relaxed the requirements. In fact it is no longer a civil service job and has fewer and less liberal benefits of past civil service employees.

As for the OP, I don't know him/her from Adam. Dropped into BE in April and posts usually on the US forum site. Never bothered to introduce himself.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 9th 2019 at 8:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.