Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

forgetting how i used to pronounce words....

forgetting how i used to pronounce words....

Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:04 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: forgetting how i used to pronounce words....

Originally Posted by drop step
Oh don't take it all personal. I just don't like women that curse a lot, so I married one that doesn't.
It's the internet. I've been here a long time. I don't take it personally. Just wanted to remind you that there are plenty of ways to respect people, and your way isn't the only one.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We were watching a programme about auctioning a snooker table. The pronunciation was 'snukka'.
Rolling Stones.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:08 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

uh huh...Don't be surprised if your funeral becomes a lonely place, because you're not a generous person.
Aww, did I hurt your little feelings?

I wasn't the one who came on here spouting about dumbing down things for Americans, or comparing Native Americans to cave men, was I?

Tell you what, why don't you go have a little cry, I'm sure one of your army of female friends will come and make it all better.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:16 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Aww, did I hurt your little feelings?
I'm not trying to hurt you, i'm trying to help you, and I think anyone that reads this thread can see that.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to hurt you, i'm trying to help you.
Firstly, I'm not so thin skinned that I'd be hurt by anything even a rapier wit like yours could throw at me. Secondly, help me with what??

I replied to Steerpike and then you jumped in with a load of old bollocks and I called you on it.

We disagreed, that's it.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:24 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I do think you start using American words for things like 'trash', 'sidewalk' and 'stroller' for example, not because you are trying to fit in, but because they become more familiar terms to you because of constant exposure to them.
Maybe for some people that applies. After being here 10 years, I'm still talking in the same terms and accent that I always have. It's how I speak.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:54 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Maybe for some people that applies. After being here 10 years, I'm still talking in the same terms and accent that I always have. It's how I speak.
My diagnosis: A severe case of SultanOfSwingitis, otherwise known as Narcisstic Personality Disorder or "NPD"

Last edited by drop step; Nov 9th 2010 at 5:00 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's because I am married an American and have kids? I don't know. Two of my kids started playing football this year, I've always resisted calling it soccer, but as they've been playing and I've been talking about it more (to mainly Americans) I started saying soccer a lot more often (than I would like ). And not because I'm trying to fit in or be understood better, but because it has become more 'normal' to me.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:05 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

My diagnosis: A severe case of SultanOfSwingitis, otherwise known as Narcisstic Personality Disorder or "NPD"
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was a necessary requirement of emigrating that one had to suddenly drop their own accent and talk like the "natives". Seems kind of patronizing to me really. I'm not sure that people would appreciate me saying "ya'll" .. in fact they would probably think I was taking the p!$$.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:06 pm

Maybe it's because I am married an American and have kids? I don't know. Two of my kids started playing football this year, I've always resisted calling it soccer, but as they've been playing and I've been talking about it more (to mainly Americans) I started saying soccer a lot more often (than I would like ). And not because I'm trying to fit in or be understood better, but because it has become more 'normal' to me.
Yeah that's fair enough. As I said it applies to some people, but not everyone.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:10 pm
Banned

SultanOfSwing and ParanoidBob are those parents standing alone on one end of the field not talking to anybody. Some people will just never assimilate, they might be afraid to even try. It's sad really
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:12 pm
I have a comma problem

I coach my son's team, and another team who were without a coach so they would be able to play. I forget myself and call it football all the time but no-one cares, they all know what I mean I've done it once or twice as a ref too.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was a necessary requirement of emigrating that one had to suddenly drop their own accent and talk like the "natives". Seems kind of patronizing to me really. I'm not sure that people would appreciate me saying "ya'll" .. in fact they would probably think I was taking the p!$$.
I still don't know how I managed to become the devil incarnate with no friends just because I call it 'rubbish' or put the emphasis on the 1st syllable of 'garage'.

Probably shouldn't provide food for those who live under bridges I suppose . . .
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:14 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Sorry I'm such a bell end, I can't help being sad and pathetic
Its OK Chameleon, its OK, go back to rocking in the corner.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:17 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Its OK Chameleon, its OK, go back to rocking in the corner.
Somebody needs to chime in with a Herbie Hancock youtube link. I'm in work so I can't
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:19 pm

SultanOfSwing and ParanoidBob are those parents standing alone on one end of the field not talking to anybody. Some people will just never assimilate, they might be afraid to even try. It's sad really
Ok, obviously you fancy yourself as an armchair psychologist or something. My original comment wasn't to you or even about what you had said, yet you obviously want to dispute what I said to nethead just for the sake of arguing.
You have a wonderful afternoon, fun time is over now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.