Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

forgetting how i used to pronounce words....

forgetting how i used to pronounce words....

Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:27 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: forgetting how i used to pronounce words....

Originally Posted by drop step
SultanOfSwing and ParanoidBob are those parents standing alone on one end of the field not talking to anybody. Some people will just never assimilate, they might be afraid to even try. It's sad really
Read my post - I'm the bloody coach you f***ing numpty, I'm standing with the kids watching them enjoying the game I loved as a child in the UK, passing my knowledge of the game on to them. I and the other parents (on my U14 team) play a bloody game with them once a week at practice. And I'm a ref too.

Keep your nose out of posts I make to others on the board who have actually got something valid to say, OK?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Maybe for some people that applies. After being here 10 years, I'm still talking in the same terms and accent that I always have. It's how I speak.
After ten years, so was I, despite being married to an American and having no day-to-day contact whatsoever with those who spoke with the same accent as me. Now it's almost forty years, and I hear my recorded voice and think who the heck is that?! Over the years, the inflections do start to creep in, despite all efforts to the contrary.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't lived in Scotland since I was 18 and my strong accent has softened quite a bit. I lived in Michigan for a year and then moved to England before coming back to the US last Fall. I was surprised when I asked someone for help whilst grocery shopping last week. I was making a roast dinner and wanted to buy some gravy. (yes I know I could make it but couldn't be bothered). When I asked the guy where I could find gravy in the store, he looked at me a bit odd then asked me to say it again. He then smiled and took me to where it was. As I picked up a jar and put it in my shopping cart he asked me again to say it. It was then that I realized that I was saying it with a really strong Scottish accent. 'gray-vay'. Complete with rolling my r! My OH has since pointed out when I get angry with my kids I sound like my mum and speak with a strong Scottish accent. My kids accents are changing more and more each day. My daughter has also stopped complaining how her friends say her name. She was a bit irritated that her friends were calling her kaydee and not kaytee. Her brother calls her both.

My husband uses American terms for some stuff and has started to drop his t's in some words. As for me, my accent is all over the place. A bit Scottish, a bit English and a little bit American.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drop step
uh huh...Don't be surprised if your funeral becomes a lonely place, because you're not a generous person.
How would you know if he's a generous person or not?

Still trying to make friends, DS?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a BE award for the most successful and entertaining troll?
If so I nominate drop step.

really, its nouvelle trolling. Pushing the art form in to new areas, that others have been too respectful of the heritage and history of trolling to tackle.

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 9th 2010 at 6:35 pm. Reason: spell
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Isn't there a BE award for the most successful and entertaining troll?
If so I nominate drop step.
He's certainly helped me put in my day! I wish he'd come back so I can make the afternoon go quicker.

I think I made him cry
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:39 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
After ten years, so was I, despite being married to an American and having no day-to-day contact whatsoever with those who spoke with the same accent as me. Now it's almost forty years, and I hear my recorded voice and think who the heck is that?! Over the years, the inflections do start to creep in, despite all efforts to the contrary.
Actually I don't make a concious effort to not talk like an american, it's just not natural for me to actually do it I suppose. I speak how I speak, which is how I grew up learning to speak.
Forty years eh? Long time. The likelihood that I''ll be here for more than another 2 years is zero, so I can't imagine that I'll be talking like an American before I move back home again.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:40 pm
I have a comma problem

Actually I don't make a concious effort to not talk like an american, it's just not natural for me to actually do it I suppose. I speak how I speak, which is how I grew up learning to speak.
Forty years eh? Long time. The likelihood that I''ll be here for more than another 2 years is zero, so I can't imagine that I'll be talking like an American before I move back home again.
Yeah, but just to be a dick, when you do move back home you should start talking like one, just to keep the natives at a safe distance and avoid assimilation
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:46 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yeah, but just to be a dick, when you do move back home you should start talking like one, just to keep the natives at a safe distance and avoid assimilation
What do I do if everyone already knows I'm a dick, though?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Carry on, my dear....
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:55 pm
I have a comma problem

Never thought of that . . .
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Never thought of that . . .
Yeah well, you have to be prepared for anything, the enemy never watches until you make a mistake.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe for some people that applies. After being here 10 years, I'm still talking in the same terms and accent that I always have. It's how I speak.
I realize this thread is getting a bit contentious at the moment, so please take my question in the spirit intended ... I can imagine that you use a lot of the same terms you've always used, but do you not modify some terms for the sake of clarity? For example ... would you take your car into the garage/shop and mention a dent in the 'bonnet', or that the spare tire in the 'boot' needs checking? Would you tell your kids to wait on the 'pavement' (which in US is sidewalk, with 'pavement' being the roadway)? Would you order 'chips' with your meal, expecting 'fries' rather than 'crisps'?

"I'm dying for a fag" might raise a few eyebrows if you are a smoker, also ... .
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:51 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I realize this thread is getting a bit contentious at the moment, so please take my question in the spirit intended ... I can imagine that you use a lot of the same terms you've always used, but do you not modify some terms for the sake of clarity? For example ... would you take your car into the garage/shop and mention a dent in the 'bonnet', or that the spare tire in the 'boot' needs checking? Would you tell your kids to wait on the 'pavement' (which in US is sidewalk, with 'pavement' being the roadway)? Would you order 'chips' with your meal, expecting 'fries' rather than 'crisps'?

"I'm dying for a fag" might raise a few eyebrows if you are a smoker, also ... .
Contentious, nah - just some troll baiting. Entertained me no end while bored off my tits at work today so I should be thanking you really.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:14 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Sultan and the other guy are dead set on talking the way they always talk, and confusing people the way they've always confused people because after all, it's their world.

and they probably wonder why they spend their weekends alone on the couch watching the tele and eating Twiglets and Monster Munch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.