Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Flying the Union Jack

Flying the Union Jack

Old Jul 9th 2015, 2:49 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying the Union Jack

Know of several homes in both Mississippi and New York that fly both the Canadian and US flags at the same time. We are one of them btw.

On July 1 it is the Canadian flag only and on July 4th it is the US flag only.

My husband is citizen of both countries and I respect his desire to do so as I respect the desire of other duel citizens to make the same decision. I do not, however, feel that if you live in the US that you should only fly another country's flag and not the flag of the country you are living in.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maud Araminta
I wouldn't wear a tee shirt with the Union Jack on it either.
I have a t-shirt with the TARDIS superimposed over the Union Jack, in fact I'm wearing it to work right now. I've also seen quite a few fashionista types wearing clothes or carrying bags with UJs around NYC, so I guess it must be "in" at the moment.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We live in high redneck country and when I see the flag flown like this, I really am very uninterested in being patriotic and flying a flag.
Attached Thumbnails Flying the Union Jack-pickupflag.jpg  
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:16 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I have a t-shirt with the TARDIS superimposed over the Union Jack, in fact I'm wearing it to work right now. I've also seen quite a few fashionista types wearing clothes or carrying bags with UJs around NYC, so I guess it must be "in" at the moment.
Its definitely "in" - we're in Taipei at the moment, and they are everywhere. I'm not sure whether the young folk in the UK are wearing them though, are they?
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:17 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
<snip>
I do not, however, feel that if you live in the US that you should only fly another country's flag and not the flag of the country you are living in.
Totally agree.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Know of several homes in both Mississippi and New York that fly both the Canadian and US flags at the same time. We are one of them btw.

On July 1 it is the Canadian flag only and on July 4th it is the US flag only.

My husband is citizen of both countries and I respect his desire to do so as I respect the desire of other duel citizens to make the same decision. I do not, however, feel that if you live in the US that you should only fly another country's flag and not the flag of the country you are living in.
Our next door neighbour in Sleepy Hollow is Portuguese (big Portuguese community here) and is a metal-worker by trade, and he has made a nice big "trophy" of three metal flagpoles sticking out from a single point and has the US, Portuguese and European flags permanently flying.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:27 am

Get out in the country round here and you see quite a few houses with 3 flagpoles - US, Texas and whatever military branch they were in.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:28 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We live in high redneck country and when I see the flag flown like this, I really am very uninterested in being patriotic and flying a flag.
There was a truck almost identical to that driving around a town I was playing in last Friday. This wasn't exactly redneck country either, it was a pretty affluent town. Though we are in a (red) collar county, so rightwingness is pretty rife just about anywhere I go near home.

It does kind of ruin it when people display the flag like that, especially huge ones on cars. When I see it in a yard, or on a house, it doesn't provoke the same reaction though, it can look quite nice in that setting.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
There was a truck almost identical to that driving around a town I was playing in last Friday. This wasn't exactly redneck country either, it was a pretty affluent town. Though we are in a (red) collar county, so rightwingness is pretty rife just about anywhere I go near home.

It does kind of ruin it when people display the flag like that, especially huge ones on cars. When I see it in a yard, or on a house, it doesn't provoke the same reaction though, it can look quite nice in that setting.
I suppose saying we live in high redneck country isn't particularly accurate (although it seems that way at times) We do have a high military presence since we are fairly close to a big military base so perhaps we see more flags than usual, but I do find it very annoying to see them flown like that.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I live in downtown San Jose and during the evening of Cinco de Mayo, every other vehicle has at least one large Mexican flag (often two) either out the window or mounted on the vehicle.

Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:42 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I do not, however, feel that if you live in the US that you should only fly another country's flag and not the flag of the country you are living in.
I sometimes fly the St Georges cross. My plan was to have two flags, one either side of the gate. My American wife will not let me fly the stars and stripes, she considers it a bit red neck.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:45 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose saying we live in high redneck country isn't particularly accurate (although it seems that way at times) We do have a high military presence since we are fairly close to a big military base so perhaps we see more flags than usual, but I do find it very annoying to see them flown like that.
It is a bit tacky when they are flown on trucks and cars, especially when they're big like that one.

Though, like I said, on flagpoles wherever they may be, it doesn't look too bad.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michael
I live in downtown San Jose and during the evening of Cinco de Mayo, every other vehicle has at least one large Mexican flag (often two) either out the window or mounted on the vehicle.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...inco~1_300.JPG

This is popular here during football season, you see them flying off of a lot of cars and trucks.
Attached Thumbnails Flying the Union Jack-seahawkcar.jpg  
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I sometimes fly the St Georges cross. My plan was to have two flags, one either side of the gate. My American wife will not let me fly the stars and stripes, she considers it a bit red neck.
I have to agree with her....
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:01 am
I have a comma problem

This is popular here during football season, you see them flying off of a lot of cars and trucks.
That's do to add to the drag coefficient quite a bit

I have to agree with her....
It's a shame when that's the response it provokes, isn't it? Where simply liking where you are from or where you live has become synonymous with that mentality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.