Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Flying the Union Jack

Wikiposts

Flying the Union Jack

Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying the Union Jack

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's do to add to the drag coefficient quite a bit

It's a shame when that's the response it provokes, isn't it? Where simply liking where you are from or where you live has become synonymous with that mentality.
yes
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:17 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
yes
It's the same as the people who have ruined the Ulster Banner, St George's Cross and Union Jack back in the UK (funny that the Scottish Saltire, or Welsh Dragon have remained relatively unscathed ...)
Old Jul 9th 2015, 6:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I have a t-shirt with the TARDIS superimposed over the Union Jack, in fact I'm wearing it to work right now. I've also seen quite a few fashionista types wearing clothes or carrying bags with UJs around NYC, so I guess it must be "in" at the moment.
Some may be Def Leppard fans. They came through NC last week, and were doing a brisk trade in Union Jack themed T-shirts. They were heading north through Virginia and concerts in NY a few days later.

Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:45 am
Cambridge / Philly.

NoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond repute

First time I went to NJ to visit my now fiancees family, her father hung a union jack from the flagpole on his house.

A neighbour complained to the Housing Association and they tried to fine him over $100.

He didn't pay it but I was flattered he saw it as good fun for the first time meeting me.

Wealthy neighbourhood with some retirees clearly having too much free time!
Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:49 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoOfficialComment
First time I went to NJ to visit my now fiancees family, her father hung a union jack from the flagpole on his house.

A neighbour complained to the Housing Association and they tried to fine him over $100.

He didn't pay it but I was flattered he saw it as good fun for the first time meeting me.

Wealthy neighbourhood with some retirees clearly having too much free time!
That seems quite the overreaction ...

A similar thing happened to us at the company I used to work for. They had two flagpoles outside the building, one for a US flag and one for a Mexican flag, because most of our crews were made up of Mexicans. Of course, there was a whole to do about it, to the point where people used to come in and complain at the (Hispanic) receptionist about it

We kept the flag up, it was being displayed properly, US flag on the right, both flags equal size and height etc. I think the problem was than when approaching the building from the north, the Mexican flag was the only one that could be seen.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute

Its very popular on clothes, bags etc in China too
Old Jul 9th 2015, 12:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Some may be Def Leppard fans. They came through NC last week, and were doing a brisk trade in Union Jack themed T-shirts. They were heading north through Virginia and concerts in NY a few days later.

http://www.defunkd.com/public/upload...1335995394.jpg
Are Def Leppard in distress? Its a tad upside down don't you think?
Old Jul 9th 2015, 12:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Well it's on its end, so neither upside down nor rightside up.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I fly my cross of St George when England are playing in the WC or EC, removing it when they are eliminated. Given their abject recent performances that means it hasn't been up for long, but this year the women did us proud, playing their 3rd place final game on... July 4th.

Maybe I should start doing the same for the Rugby WC.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 5:13 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's on its end, so neither upside down nor rightside up.
Maybe if you ran him up the pole by his ankles, rather than his neck it would be the right way up.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.defunkd.com/public/upload...1335995394.jpg
They are coming to play just down the road from me at the end of the month. I'd love to go and see them, but with work and organizing child care, it ain't gonna happen unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Maybe I should start doing the same for the Rugby WC.
Hell yeah you should. Don't be surprised if it's flying until the tournament ends either.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It's correct for a vertically hanging flag. To vertically hang a flag you normally flip it over and display it with the top of the hoist to the viewer's left. Some flags that have a coat of arms on them or a different design on their reverse (very rare) have a special version for vertical display.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 11:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

UK Flag code says has this to say....

Flying the Union Jack-uk-flag-code.jpg
Old Jul 10th 2015, 5:46 am
Banned

Maud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond reputeMaud Araminta has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily. We could run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it.
You have certainly mast'ered this thread.

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Unless you are ashamed of being British ... There is really nothing wrong with feeling patriotic.
I'm not and there isn't.

I've also seen quite a few fashionista types wearing clothes or carrying bags with UJs around NYC, so I guess it must be "in" at the moment.
Not surprising; it's a beautiful flag.

Originally Posted by NoOfficialComment
A neighbour complained to the Housing Association
Housing/condo associations always have a lot of rules, some of which make good sense.

Which are the only 2 world flags that are perfectly square?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 5:58 am

It's correct for a vertically hanging flag. To vertically hang a flag you normally flip it over and display it with the top of the hoist to the viewer's left. Some flags that have a coat of arms on them or a different design on their reverse (very rare) have a special version for vertical display.
The Virginia Tech flag just has the letters "VT" on in. ..... So under almost all circumstances the back of the flag is equally visible and has the letters "TV" on it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.