Florida shooting

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida shooting

Originally Posted by robin1234
Odd statement to make with such confidence, because it's so clearly inaccurate. A proportion of posters are pro-gun. Of the others, the great majority seem to be "blaming" the NRA or the dysfunctional government, not gun owners.
A proportion? You mean an extremely small minority?

I can only think of 5/6 of us on this thread that own firearms which surely makes your statement clearly inaccurate...

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but it certainly comes across like an overwhelming majority on this thread have been pointing fingers at gun owners.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91

I can only think of 5/6 of us on this thread that own firearms which surely makes your statement clearly inaccurate...
There are 13 posters in this thread who have an in-thread post count of 20 or more. I think we can use that as a reasonable enough sample size for the thread as a whole Six out of thirteen is damn near half. I think Robin's close enough with his terminology.

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but it certainly comes across like an overwhelming majority on this thread have been pointing fingers at gun owners.
Clearly you are reading wrong, because I don't remember as many posters pointing fingers at gun owners as I remember gun owners being defensive for no good reason.

I'm sorry if you are experiencing guilt by association but the majority of posters being in favour of some degree or other of gun control does not equate to everyone blaming gun owners. You yourself have said you'd give up your gun if it came to it.

Don't confuse OF and Boiler's obfuscation and shitposting for anything genuine.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Odd statement to make with such confidence, because it's so clearly inaccurate. A proportion of posters are pro-gun. Of the others, the great majority seem to be "blaming" the NRA or the dysfunctional government, not gun owners.
I'm not even really "anti gun". I'm more "anti piles of dead people" and in this country guns clearly facilitate that and have become interwoven with a culture prepared to use them. A lot.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I think we'll have to agree to disagree in regards to the majority of people blaming gun owners.
Much as I dislike guns, I don't blame the "man in the street" gun owner for what has been going on in the US, and I have no interest in taking away everyone's recreational or personal protection weapon. "They want to take your guns away" is a scare tactic completely propagated by the NRA. However, I do feel that gun owners are prone to get defensive about weapons, rather than sharing in the disgust towards the evil usage of a certain class of weapon (by the way, no one has yet coherently explained just why it is necessary for the average person to own such a weapon) and coming together with non-gun owners to work towards a solution. This shouldn't be "us against them" for either viewpoint in this debate, it should be rational people uniting to put things right.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

So what are you saying here ... Five or six people is not "a proportion?" Somehow that's a "clearly inaccurate" statement?
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

In fact, out of about 790 posts, I'd like to see you identify ten .. twenty posts ... that blame gun owners. So why are you so defensive, based on what? As Sultan pointed out, half of the prolific posters in this thread are "pro-gun."

You don't need to admit you're wrong, but hopefully we'll see less cocky victimhood from you in the future.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:08 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
OK, one person called you that. You still need to get a grip, TBH.

Also, I don't care what other people called Republicans, save that for someone else.
That person also blatantly said all we gun-owners are time bombs, waiting to go on a rampage. While insulting, it shows you the mindset of people like this. It's called projection. Thank heavens RoadWarriorLLC doesn't have access to firearms.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
That person also blatantly said all we gun-owners are time bombs, waiting to go on a rampage. While insulting, it shows you the mindset of people like this. It's called projection. Thank heavens RoadWarriorLLC doesn't have access to firearms.
no he didn't.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see that but again, that's one poster. One. If you're insulted by his posts, take that up with him and leave me out of it because it's not my issue, nor my problem.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:21 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I'm leaving you out of it. You've actually been pretty measured in this thread.

Not quite Leslie levels of reasonableness, but pretty close.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:28 pm
I have a comma problem

None of us can achieve Leslie levels of reasonableness, so I will take that as high praise.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

He didn't say it. Can you admit you were in error? Or prove I'm in error? I'm getting sick of the lies, innuendo and boo-hoo victimhood displayed by gun nuts on this thread.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

There is very little compassion and forgiveness in the US. This goes from the bottom all the way up to the top. It is no coincidence that just days after a 19 year old sought revenge , that the State seek revenge by death. Until this attitude changes, nothing will change in the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d7083adb42db
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:34 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I will share a friend's facebook post which was from yesterday ....

"Today at school, our little girl(8) learned to not leave her hiding place to help a friend or teacher who has been shot" ....

I guess the question remains, will there now be frequent Cold War 'Duck and Cover' style drills introduced to our schools??
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
There is very little compassion and forgiveness in the US. This goes from the bottom all the way up to the top. It is no coincidence that just days after a 19 year old sought revenge , that the State seek revenge by death. Until this attitude changes, nothing will change in the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d7083adb42db
I don't think it's so much a lack of compassion or forgiveness. That does exist. I think it's a heightened sense of revenge, rights, punishment. You can see all through the legal system, with everyone suing everyone else, with minimal consumer protections, with excessive prison sentencing etc.. Just reducing the reflex to be revengeful would be a start. That doesn't necessarily require compassion, it can be neutrality or basic tolerance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.