British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Florida shooting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/florida-shooting-909230/)

Nutmegger Feb 14th 2018 10:13 pm

Florida shooting

Here we go again. Don’t know what else to say. Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

N1cky Feb 14th 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Florida shooting

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12442200)
Here we go again. Don’t know what else to say. Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

If no action was taken after Sandy Hook, no action is ever going to happen. Every single time this happens I wonder what the hell we are doing here. I hate guns, I hate the gun culture in America, and I especially hate how often it's kids in schools.

Shock, Sad, Forget, Repeat

dakota44 Feb 14th 2018 11:40 pm

The shooter has Hispanic name. Cue the Republican immigrant bashing to change the conversation. This stuff makes me sick.

kimilseung Feb 14th 2018 11:48 pm

The police are telling us to pray.

King Gimp Feb 14th 2018 11:55 pm

Its all just so sad. I don't understand it. Ugh.

One of the drivers in the decision to move over here in 2011 was to get my kids away from spiraling knife crime in London. Aaaand here we are.

Rete Feb 15th 2018 2:52 am

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 12442234)
The shooter has Hispanic name. Cue the Republican immigrant bashing to change the conversation. This stuff makes me sick.

Which one? The shooting or the bashing?

dakota44 Feb 15th 2018 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12442298)
Which one? The shooting or the bashing?

Both

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 15th 2018 3:20 am

Originally Posted by King Gimp (Post 12442240)

One of the drivers in the decision to move over here in 2011 was to get my kids away from spiraling knife crime in London. Aaaand here we are.

Seems acid attacks are the thing in my old turf.

Nickolas I thought was Greek?

dc koop Feb 15th 2018 5:11 am

It will go on as long as the NRA pour money into the pockets of politicians at election time and in return these politicians block any attempt to outlaw military type assault weapons and large capacity magazines.

It will go on as long as anybody with the money can go to a gun show and buy such a weapon under the table.

tooboocoo Feb 15th 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 12442234)

1. Any sign of the "Republican immigrant bashing" yet?
2. Will you apologize if there isn't any?
3. If it had been a regular white kid, would you have correspondingly warned "cue the white male-bashing by the media, ACLU, Oprah, the Dems "?

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 15th 2018 10:42 am

Boy, 17, stabbed to death in east London
Police say victim died after ‘sustained and possibly targeted attack’ in Canning Town

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...london-in-2018

Sadly that did not take long.

Shard Feb 15th 2018 10:47 am

Well, that problem hasn't gone away either. Although it tends to be a bit more localised and racial.

Shard Feb 15th 2018 10:54 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12442236)
The police are telling us to pray.

It's part of the problem isn't it. Those Americans that are in the thrall of religion, are far to ready to chalk a social issue to 'evil' and to some extent, accept 'god's will'. Remove that layer of irrationality, and there might be greater motivation to understand and limit mass murders. Some prominent Americans need to stand up and say "stop praying" and do something about this.

civilservant Feb 15th 2018 11:36 am

Those Americans that are in the thrall of religion, are far to ready to chalk a social issue to 'evil' and to some extent, accept 'god's will'. Remove that layer of irrationality, and there might be greater motivation to understand and limit mass murders
As a resident of a Southern state, I couldn't agree with this more. It's like I tell people, ok it might be God's will when you die if you believe that, but that doesn't mean he wanted you to speed and slam your car into a tree.

Shard Feb 15th 2018 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12442513)
As a resident of a Southern state, I couldn't agree with this more. It's like I tell people, ok it might be God's will when you die if you believe that, but that doesn't mean he wanted you to speed and slam your car into a tree.

But as I'm sure you have heard, He works in mysterious ways, and a car crash (even involving children) would be part of His plan. There's not much point it talking logic to the devout, they have opted-in to illogic.