Florida shooting

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida shooting

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
I will share a friend's facebook post which was from yesterday ....

"Today at school, our little girl(8) learned to not leave her hiding place to help a friend or teacher who has been shot" ....

I guess the question remains, will there now be frequent Cold War 'Duck and Cover' style drills introduced to our schools??
That's a good question, actually. I think they do have some lockdown style drills already, not sure if it's once a month or just a couple times a year. My wife just took an admin job in our local high school last year, and all staff whether teaching or administrative, have their own assigned role during an active shooting. The business office, where she works, is one place where they are to shelter students if something happens, for example. They also happen to be right across from the SRO's office, which is not far down the hall from the main entrance.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I don't think it's so much a lack of compassion or forgiveness. That does exist. I think it's a heightened sense of revenge, rights, punishment. You can see all through the legal system, with everyone suing everyone else, with minimal consumer protections, with excessive prison sentencing etc.. Just reducing the reflex to be revengeful would be a start. That doesn't necessarily require compassion, it can be neutrality or basic tolerance.
I think this may be more accurate, or maybe a mixture ob both

"Today at school, our little girl(8) learned to not leave her hiding place to help a friend or teacher who has been shot" ....

I guess the question remains, will there now be frequent Cold War 'Duck and Cover' style drills introduced to our schools??
My kids school has entry systems on multiple doors that would stop a random person entering the school. They did just recently change the codes. The main entrance every family has a unique code based on phone number, which is probably a bad idea.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's a good question, actually. I think they do have some lockdown style drills already, not sure if it's once a month or just a couple times a year. My wife just took an admin job in our local high school last year, and all staff whether teaching or administrative, have their own assigned role during an active shooting. The business office, where she works, is one place where they are to shelter students if something happens, for example. They also happen to be right across from the SRO's office, which is not far down the hall from the main entrance.
Not to put too fine a point on it. it's pretty ****ed up isn't it.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Not to put too fine a point on it. it's pretty ****ed up isn't it.
Yes. And I have 10 more years with a kid in school, plus however many more years my wife works there as well. Not that it's necessarily likely that anything will happen but it shouldn't even be something you have to think about - the chance that someone will enter a building full of kids and open fire. What's truly ****ed is the fact that this is all but normalized in the US now and (hyperbole ahead) almost accepted as an occupational hazard.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:56 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
He didn't say it. Can you admit you were in error? Or prove I'm in error? I'm getting sick of the lies, innuendo and boo-hoo victimhood displayed by gun nuts on this thread.
There are almost zero instances when I read them and think, "Gee, I'm sure glad that the guy who posted that has access to weapons." Usually, it's quite the opposite.
The problem isn't with guns. It's with gun owners.
You're not doing your side any favors. Frankly, you sound like a guy who should be restricted to slingshots made for kids.

Gun owners on the internet come off as religious fanatics. Zealots who failed any statistics class that they may have taken.
It sounds obsessive compulsive. Neurotic. The gun is compensating for some other deeper deficiency.

If gun owners didn't seem so unhinged, then I would be more sympathetic. But you sound as if you're a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket, so I'm not.
Instead, it makes reasonable people wonder which one of you will be the next one to fly off the handle. The guy who was the supposed "good guy with a gun" until he wasn't.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. And I have 10 more years with a kid in school, plus however many more years my wife works there as well. Not that it's necessarily likely that anything will happen but it shouldn't even be something you have to think about - the chance that someone will enter a building full of kids and open fire. What's truly ****ed is the fact that this is all but normalized in the US now and (hyperbole ahead) almost accepted as an occupational hazard.

Exactly.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of employers have active shooter drills, be it schools, hospitals or other public places.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:04 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by mrken30
I think a lot of employers have active shooter drills, be it schools, hospitals or other public places.
It's messed up that it has to be done anywhere to the point where an active shooter situation is considered as 'normal' as the need for a fire drill. It's just that bit more messed up that it needs to be a consideration in a school.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
There are almost zero instances when I read them and think, "Gee, I'm sure glad that the guy who posted that has access to weapons." Usually, it's quite the opposite.
The problem isn't with guns. It's with gun owners.
You're not doing your side any favors. Frankly, you sound like a guy who should be restricted to slingshots made for kids.

Gun owners on the internet come off as religious fanatics. Zealots who failed any statistics class that they may have taken.
It sounds obsessive compulsive. Neurotic. The gun is compensating for some other deeper deficiency.

If gun owners didn't seem so unhinged, then I would be more sympathetic. But you sound as if you're a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket, so I'm not.
Instead, it makes reasonable people wonder which one of you will be the next one to fly off the handle. The guy who was the supposed "good guy with a gun" until he wasn't.
So, you admit you were in error, when you made a specific accusation against RoadWarrior? Because the quotes above (I'm assuming they are quotes) don't cut it.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:13 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty cut and dried. Let me help you with your reading comprehension.
"Which one of you will be the next one to fly off the handle?

Ergo, saying we're all prospective killers.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:16 pm
I have a comma problem

It's pretty cut and dried. Let me help you with your reading comprehension.
"Which one of you will be the next one to fly off the handle?

Ergo, saying we're all prospective killers.
It would help things greatly if you could attribute quotes to whomever was supposed to have said those things. Took me a few reads of your post before this before I realized that wasn't you saying that and to be honest I'm not sure I'm right even then

Cheers.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:20 pm
Peace onion

Sorry. That was from RoadWarriorLLP or whatever her name is.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:25 pm
I have a comma problem

Sorry. That was from RoadWarriorLLP or whatever her name is.
I kind of thought, but multiquoting would be sooooooo helpful.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:27 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have yet to come across anybody personally with such a view.
What Robin described is exactly my view. I don't blame gun owners for the shooting. I do blame lawmakers for being beholden to the NRA. I blame the NRA for the way they manipulate people into thinking that reasonable gun legislation means the end of their freedom, life and any happiness that gun owners have ever known.

I think the hysteria level is getting out of hand.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

I find the attitude of some posters here very un-British. We had Dunblane, guns banned, and nobody gave a toss. When a Brit goes to America and falls in love with firearms it's a rejection of the feeling over here (and most other advanced nations) toward deadly weapons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.