Fitness...do you?

Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Originally Posted by Maste
Well, I've ran in 15 at least, maybe colder. And it was tough, I won't lie. Often I won't stretch, but I will jog on the spot for a minute or two inside, and set my running watch to record inside too, so as soon as I step outside, I'm running immediately, and not dawdling.

Takes a bit of getting used to, I'll add!

The balaclava also helps prevents runners cough. It's harder to breath cos the air is so dry in the cold, that you aren't taking in enough moisture, which then leads to a pretty annoying cough that's hard to get rid of. The balaclava I wear, and any should do this, means moisture is created against the material and you'll breath in decent air then!
I have a 5-or-so minute walk to get to where I usually start my runs, on a bike path at the end of my street from which point I have worked out a loop that's a little over 5K. That should serve as something of a warm-up as well. I expect it to be tough at first, but if I can start getting out now, when it's 30-40 out then I can acclimatize myself to the colder temperatures incrementally until I reach a point where it just gets too much, at which point I'll probably reluctantly revert to the treadmill. Which sucks because since I started running on the street/trails, I can't seem to manage much more than a mile on the treadmill.

But hopefully, since I'm only out for 45 minutes or so, I will be able to keep at least some semblance of a regular outdoor running schedule between now and spring.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Slogging up and down the stairs 40 times a day has to count as some kind of fitness? Doesn't it?
I should say so!! Living in a condo for the last 4 years...I haven’t been going up and down stairs. My daughter’s new place has high ceilings...thus a lot of stairs. I stayed there recently because she was ill in bed. At first I was gripping hold of the handrail for support before I got to the top...by the end of the week I was running up and down the stairs...no problem.

I keep meaning to get out of the elevator a few floors below my floor and walk the stairs...but I keep forgetting.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I have a 5-or-so minute walk to get to where I usually start my runs, on a bike path at the end of my street from which point I have worked out a loop that's a little over 5K. That should serve as something of a warm-up as well. I expect it to be tough at first, but if I can start getting out now, when it's 30-40 out then I can acclimatize myself to the colder temperatures incrementally until I reach a point where it just gets too much, at which point I'll probably reluctantly revert to the treadmill. Which sucks because since I started running on the street/trails, I can't seem to manage much more than a mile on the treadmill.

But hopefully, since I'm only out for 45 minutes or so, I will be able to keep at least some semblance of a regular outdoor running schedule between now and spring.
Brisk walk it or very slowly jog it to that point then begin right away! I wouldn't hang about in anything lower 30s! Yes definitely, you'll acclimatise better if you keep working out as it slowly gets colder.

My body had a shock when it was 80 one day, then 30 the next day the other week That 50 drop in temperature added on 4 minutes to my run!

How was the gym?
Old Nov 16th 2017, 1:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Brisk walk it or very slowly jog it to that point then begin right away! I wouldn't hang about in anything lower 30s! Yes definitely, you'll acclimatise better if you keep working out as it slowly gets colder.

My body had a shock when it was 80 one day, then 30 the next day the other week That 50 drop in temperature added on 4 minutes to my run!
I don't tend to walk at a pace other than 'brisk' even when it's not cold. I've never been capable of walking slowly

I've made my mind up that I will at least give it a go. If at some point I have to pussy out, then it is what it is, but if I want to get to 10K next year, I can't not run over winter.

How was the gym?
Embarrassingly, I fell asleep. One minute I was in the living room thinking 'it's almost 9:30, I should get going soon' and the next it was ten to five and I was still uncomfortably wedged into a right angle on the couch
Old Nov 16th 2017, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

I don't tend to walk at a pace other than 'brisk' even when it's not cold. I've never been capable of walking slowly

I've made my mind up that I will at least give it a go. If at some point I have to pussy out, then it is what it is, but if I want to get to 10K next year, I can't not run over winter.

Embarrassingly, I fell asleep. One minute I was in the living room thinking 'it's almost 9:30, I should get going soon' and the next it was ten to five and I was still uncomfortably wedged into a right angle on the couch
Yes, winter runs will help you get up to 10k for sure. I'm surprised I was able to run almost a half marathon Sunday just gone. I don't have a training plan, and the time I would have hit continuing at my pace would have, according to a quick google, been a good first half marathon time.

I'm sorry, that made me chuckle! Well, try and go tonight?
Old Nov 16th 2017, 2:47 pm
I have a comma problem

Yes, winter runs will help you get up to 10k for sure. I'm surprised I was able to run almost a half marathon Sunday just gone. I don't have a training plan, and the time I would have hit continuing at my pace would have, according to a quick google, been a good first half marathon time.
Right now, I need them to get back to my previous 5K form, let alone 10

I think I can do it though, if just for one run a week. I do feel better on days when I do run vs days when I don't as well, and let's face it, I'm going to need all the help I can get after next Thursday's festivities ...

I'm sorry, that made me chuckle! Well, try and go tonight?
It happens with alarming frequency, I'll fall asleep on the couch with the TV on and wake up with the cat sitting there judging me in the morning. Then two nights later, I'm up to 2am playing the computer. Entirely self-inflicted, of course.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right now, I need them to get back to my previous 5K form, let alone 10

I think I can do it though, if just for one run a week. I do feel better on days when I do run vs days when I don't as well, and let's face it, I'm going to need all the help I can get after next Thursday's festivities ...

It happens with alarming frequency, I'll fall asleep on the couch with the TV on and wake up with the cat sitting there judging me in the morning. Then two nights later, I'm up to 2am playing the computer. Entirely self-inflicted, of course.
I'm sure you can do it! Next week is my first official thanksgiving, so I'm pretty excited for all the food that is yet to come! I'm hoping to keep running well into next week, through thanksgiving. We will see how that plans out for me though!
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:38 pm
I have a comma problem

I'm sure you can do it! Next week is my first official thanksgiving, so I'm pretty excited for all the food that is yet to come! I'm hoping to keep running well into next week, through thanksgiving. We will see how that plans out for me though!
We're going up north for Thanksgiving this year. We'll see if I feel like running along Wisconsin Highway 27 after a 5 hour drive. I'm not banking on it
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

We're going up north for Thanksgiving this year. We'll see if I feel like running along Wisconsin Highway 27 after a 5 hour drive. I'm not banking on it
We are heading north to WI for thanksgiving too! Thankfully only on Thanksgiving and will be back that day too.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:53 pm
I have a comma problem

We are heading north to WI for thanksgiving too! Thankfully only on Thanksgiving and will be back that day too.
We're staying at least until Friday, if not later. Not sure if we're going up on Wednesday night or not though, but either way we're staying at least one night.

You're mental doing a round trip to Wisconsin from St Louis in a day
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

We're staying at least until Friday, if not later. Not sure if we're going up on Wednesday night or not though, but either way we're staying at least one night.

You're mental doing a round trip to Wisconsin from St Louis in a day
Ah thankfully, it's not one day from StL to WI! We are leaving after the girlfriend gets out of lab half day Wednesday and stopping at her parents in Chicago. Then Thursday we go to WI for the day, so not too bad. We will head back down from Chicago to StL on Sunday.

What is an American break without a lot of driving?

I'm hoping to keep the running up though throughout all this, and bring the pup along, but I feel the sudden cold will shock me! haha.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:43 pm
I have a comma problem

Ah thankfully, it's not one day from StL to WI! We are leaving after the girlfriend gets out of lab half day Wednesday and stopping at her parents in Chicago. Then Thursday we go to WI for the day, so not too bad. We will head back down from Chicago to StL on Sunday.

What is an American break without a lot of driving?

I'm hoping to keep the running up though throughout all this, and bring the pup along, but I feel the sudden cold will shock me! haha.
Oh, that's not too bad, if you're stopping in Chicago first and depending on where in Wisconsin it is, it's not necessarily a long drive. We're going to Cornell, which is .

Normally we don't have to do any driving at all, as it's usually at our house, but my wife's grandmother recently moved back from NC, so she wants to have it there instead.

I seriously doubt I'll do any running though.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 12:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Over the weekend, I was part of our curling club team that was invited to a fancy competition not that far away. We were clearly only invited to make up the numbers as they needed another team.

We got utterly destroyed. Not quite to the point where the other sides went through the entire scoreboard, but it wasn't far off. The first team we played had all competed in the nationals, actually, most of the other teams had players who had as well.

Apart from our skip, the rest of us, had only began playing last April.

Put a team together for another competition in Feb and the missus is planning to go to the women's comp in Maine in the new year. I might try and form a men's team for a local men's comp at the same time. The place has wifi, so the kids can be safely ignored :/
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing compared to the temperatures you are talking about but it was 26 degrees last Saturday at the start of the Richmond Marathon it was extremely cold for me took me forever to warm up.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:16 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Nothing compared to the temperatures you are talking about but it was 26 degrees last Saturday at the start of the Richmond Marathon it was extremely cold for me took me forever to warm up.
I've walked in temperatures that low before but never run, so I'm not sure how I will do but hopefully I'll have a period where I can transition from 40s/30s, which I have played soccer in so am not worried about, down to that.

Mid 20s is pretty standard winter fare for us, so I'll have to get used to it no matter what

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.