Fitness...do you?

Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I have yet to do a 5K race, but I do also enjoy running on my own and I run 5k (well 3.4 miles) 3-4 times a week on an ideal week.

Is there any difference running the race vs running solo? I always wonder if the presence of other runners would make everyone's pace naturally quicken a little.

I do plan to take part in at least one race next year when I'm a bit happier with my times (also I'm debating whether to try to get up to 10k for my training runs) but for now I'm content with my little loop around town.
Like you, I run regularly and do 5-10km on my own in my own pace and bring my dog along for this which can quicken (if she's up for it) or slow me down (squirrels are her big distraction). I've never run with a group, only my dog and girlfriend!

I have heard you run faster due to the adrenaline and excitement at the event, and the other runners, but I'll report back once I find out for myself! I'm just looking forward to getting the quarter zip, a warm appple cider and a caramel apple at the end to be honest. Food and nice tops entice me
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
I don't see anyone mentioning barre yet. That's what I do 3 times a week. It's a mix of ballet, Pilates and yoga. Super small movements designed to fatigue your muscles to the point of shaking. Then you stretch it all out to make long, lean muscles. Been a few years now.
THAT sounds amazing...

I heard that Robin Wright (House of cards) did this for exercise for the last few years because the producers didn't want her to have bulky muscles from running.

I might just look it up. Is there a chain/franchise that you use?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
Like you, I run regularly and do 5-10km on my own in my own pace and bring my dog along for this which can quicken (if she's up for it) or slow me down (squirrels are her big distraction). I've never run with a group, only my dog and girlfriend!

I have heard you run faster due to the adrenaline and excitement at the event, and the other runners, but I'll report back once I find out for myself! I'm just looking forward to getting the quarter zip, a warm appple cider and a caramel apple at the end to be honest. Food and nice tops entice me
I would expect the other runners might quicken your pace, because even if there's someone walking that I'm going by on a trail (rarely there's a slower runner because I suck pretty hard at pace) I'll quicken a little as I go by.

There is one coming up round my way in two weeks that I'd almost certainly be ready for, but I'll be out of town that day. Can't bloody win

At what point do you recommend I attempt to increase the length of my runs? Is it important to hit a certain per mile pace first, or can it just be done any time?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I would expect the other runners might quicken your pace, because even if there's someone walking that I'm going by on a trail (rarely there's a slower runner because I suck pretty hard at pace) I'll quicken a little as I go by.

There is one coming up round my way in two weeks that I'd almost certainly be ready for, but I'll be out of town that day. Can't bloody win

At what point do you recommend I attempt to increase the length of my runs? Is it important to hit a certain per mile pace first, or can it just be done any time?
There's a massive difference between running solo vs. event. Basically, running solo sucks, running in an event is awesome. You'll get a better time, and will find a great buzz - my fave bit is often just killing the music and listening to thousands of feet tapping away.

You get to talk to people, encourage them and be encouraged. It's cool.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
There's a massive difference between running solo vs. event. Basically, running solo sucks, running in an event is awesome. You'll get a better time, and will find a great buzz - my fave bit is often just killing the music and listening to thousands of feet tapping away.

You get to talk to people, encourage them and be encouraged. It's cool.
I actually quite enjoy running by myself. Though, I am interested in seeing how I can get on in an actual race, given I could barely run 200 yards 18 months ago.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I actually quite enjoy running by myself. Though, I am interested in seeing how I can get on in an actual race, given I could barely run 200 yards 18 months ago.
That's a great improvement, well done.

When you've done one 5k event, you'll want to do a 10k etc. I ended up doing a marathon along the great wall of china (never again though!). Now I just do the odd 5k or 10k - I get more enjoyment out of these distances.

I also like to do a 5k on my own from time to time, it clears the head.

Oh, you asked about distances... if you want to run a 5k event, do 5k. If you want to do a 10k event, do about 6.5k... a 21k event, around 15k etc. - the event buzz will carry you over the extra distance. Make sure you rest for about 3-4 days before the event.

Last edited by Millhouse; Sep 25th 2017 at 3:37 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:39 pm
I have a comma problem

That's a great improvement, well done.
Couch to 5K works incredibly well. I was up to running 5K in 9 weeks, I could barely believe it myself.

When you've done one 5k event, you'll want to do a 10k etc. I ended up doing a marathon along the great wall of china (never again though!). Now I just do the odd 5k or 10k - I get more enjoyment out of these distances.

I also like to do a 5k on my own from time to time, it clears the head.
I'll see how I get on, I've taken a lot of breaks throughout the last year since I started working out, both from running and lifting, and I'm starting to get into a rhythm again, so maybe by next spring I'll be ready to try a proper race, and go from there.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:43 pm
I have a comma problem

Oh, you asked about distances... if you want to run a 5k event, do 5k. If you want to do a 10k event, do about 6.5k... a 21k event, around 15k etc. - the event buzz will carry you over the extra distance. Make sure you rest for about 3-4 days before the event.
Just saw this edit after my first reply.

I was asking about moving up to 10K in general with a view to maybe doing one or two 10K runs a week and then 5K the rest of the time. Not so much regarding events but that's interesting to see that you can train up to a few km short of the target distance and then get through the rest of the way on adrenaline, or whatever the right term is.

I just wasn't sure if I need to get my pace up to a certain level or if I can just slowly start adding a bit more distance to my runs as I feel ready. I'm at about 3.5 miles now and it feels like I'm at 80% or so, so I figured I'd try to stretch that to 4 miles and go from there.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just saw this edit after my first reply.

I was asking about moving up to 10K in general with a view to maybe doing one or two 10K runs a week and then 5K the rest of the time. Not so much regarding events but that's interesting to see that you can train up to a few km short of the target distance and then get through the rest of the way on adrenaline, or whatever the right term is.

I just wasn't sure if I need to get my pace up to a certain level or if I can just slowly start adding a bit more distance to my runs as I feel ready. I'm at about 3.5 miles now and it feels like I'm at 80% or so, so I figured I'd try to stretch that to 4 miles and go from there.
Honestly if you can do 5k, you can do 10k. The move up to 15k-20 is much harder and requires more training. The move from 5k to 10k really is a mental one, not a physical one. Just run 5k from home and walk back, then do a 5k out, 1k +4k walk back etc.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:46 pm
I have a comma problem

Honestly if you can do 5k, you can do 10k. The move up to 15k-20 is much harder and requires more training. The move from 5k to 10k really is a mental one, not a physical one. Just run 5k from home and walk back, then do a 5k out, 1k +4k walk back etc.
Kind of what I was planning to do then, slowly increase the distance with walking, same as how the C25k worked.

I don't have any real plans to move up to beyond 10k but I wanted to try and be able to add at least one run at that distance each week as I heard it's a good distance to work towards.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kind of what I was planning to do then, slowly increase the distance with walking, same as how the C25k worked.

I don't have any real plans to move up to beyond 10k but I wanted to try and be able to add at least one run at that distance each week as I heard it's a good distance to work towards.
I find 10ks just too time consuming - 5k is a great distance. I also like to do 3k sprint/walk intervals.

5k+5k walk is great when you've got stuff on your mind.

Well done on C25k. I did something similar. The results are amazing.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:03 pm
I have a comma problem

I find 10ks just too time consuming - 5k is a great distance. I also like to do 3k sprint/walk intervals.

5k+5k walk is great when you've got stuff on your mind.
That's why I want to stick to just one or two per week, maybe at the weekend.

That being said, I would occasionally go on very long (10+ mile) walks over the weekend and they take way longer than a 10K

Well done on C25k. I did something similar. The results are amazing.
Thanks. I couldn't believe how well it worked. 5x5 strength training as well, very real results.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Sultan - as Millhouse said - there is really no difference between 5k and 10k. Once you hit your good, steady pace you can easily get to 10k. I tried before to go to 15k from 10k. Completely different ballgame altogether that run was! It is more mental. 10k sounds like a lot (double digits, twice the distance), but if you can manage 5k at a steady comfortable pace, you'll do a 10k easily.

I'm nervous about my 5k to be honest. I'm not one for doing things in front of people, and worry about the what if side of things! But doing it with my girlfriend will be fun, we get hot cider and a caramel apple at the end, and a pretty nice quarter zip top too! Just in time for the winter!
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:30 pm
I have a comma problem

Sultan - as Millhouse said - there is really no difference between 5k and 10k. Once you hit your good, steady pace you can easily get to 10k. I tried before to go to 15k from 10k. Completely different ballgame altogether that run was! It is more mental. 10k sounds like a lot (double digits, twice the distance), but if you can manage 5k at a steady comfortable pace, you'll do a 10k easily.
Cool. I have had a few too many non-running days of late, so once I get back on track on my normal runs, I will look at increasing the difference.

I'm nervous about my 5k to be honest. I'm not one for doing things in front of people, and worry about the what if side of things! But doing it with my girlfriend will be fun, we get hot cider and a caramel apple at the end, and a pretty nice quarter zip top too! Just in time for the winter!
Fall is one of my favourite seasons to run in. Summer is nice because I can sweat away 2-3 lbs if it's really hot, but my pace suffers. Give me a nice day in the 50s-60s with a light breeze and I'm golden.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cool. I have had a few too many non-running days of late, so once I get back on track on my normal runs, I will look at increasing the difference.

Fall is one of my favourite seasons to run in. Summer is nice because I can sweat away 2-3 lbs if it's really hot, but my pace suffers. Give me a nice day in the 50s-60s with a light breeze and I'm golden.
I've had far too many non-running days since I moved over in July. The St Louis heat is FAR TOO HOT for me to function in, let alone run in. The temps should drop down to highs of 70s midweek onwards for fall season, meaning mornings will be 60s. Perfect running conditions for me, and I'll have no excuse to not run!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.