Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

English foods (especially sweets)

English foods (especially sweets)

Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of
Default Re: English foods (especially sweets)

Originally Posted by Emma M
It's the culture thing, are you moving to the US? If you are, don't move to the south unless you really REALLY love country music, church, really fattening food and drag racing. That is where I am now.
Everything is miles away, no walking down the street to find everything I need on my doorstep, no hopping on a bus, nothing like that, you either have a car or go without.
Saying that, I have mellowed quite a bit to this place, there are some things I would definately miss if I left the south, and the weather is awesome!
Good luck with your move!
Em.
I have an English store that I go to every so often. I stock up on Digestive Biscuits, Mushroom Soup and Fish Fingers and other items.

Only thing I found is that some of the food is very close to the expiration date. It either takes a LONG time to reach the USA, or, they buy this stuff cheaper because it is going out of date.

I did find a place on-line and was happy to be able to order my HOOLA HOOPS.
I buy the box of them, and it doesn't work out to bad price wise.

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.foodireland.com/

And if you sign up on-line with them for their Newsletter, sometimes they also have a $5 coupon to use on an order

Elaine
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:33 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

It's the culture thing, are you moving to the US? If you are, don't move to the south unless you really REALLY love country music, church, really fattening food and drag racing. That is where I am now.
Everything is miles away, no walking down the street to find everything I need on my doorstep, no hopping on a bus, nothing like that, you either have a car or go without.
Saying that, I have mellowed quite a bit to this place, there are some things I would definately miss if I left the south, and the weather is awesome!
Em.
She's coming to Atlanta!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:45 am
timinpa

You are sooooo lucky. I cant find shops and supermarkets, only stores and grocery stores! Is it true that "local" in American means "less than 3 hours away"?

He he

Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:15 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: English foods (especially sweets)

Em.
I don't believe you ever answered my question about how long you've been in the US, did you?

BTW, some of your comments apply to most of the US, and not solely the South.

Another thing, NC is approximately the same size as England but with much less population density.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:08 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
When I first moved to Maine I was happy to discover an English Goods shop just 20 minutes down the road in Freeport. Two years later the house next door was sold and I was even happier to discover that my new neighbours were the owners of that store!

Damn....spell check is telling me that neighbours should be neighbors.

I've been to the Freeport shop many times....please tell them THAT I LOVE THEM!!! and to keep up the good work!
I'm still finishing off my last bottle of squash I bought from them, and i still have a few of the pickled onions.

You can get a few bits in Shaw's supermarkets, but a lot of them are out of date
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I don't believe you ever answered my question about how long you've been in the US, did you?

BTW, some of your comments apply to most of the US, and not solely the South.

Another thing, NC is approximately the same size as England but with much less population density.
Ive been in the US for 4 months, not long enough to get used to it all yet
For the most part, I really do like it here. Ive got to get used to the fact that it is just different here.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

pasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nice

I eat English food and sweets all the time, however, I do live in England - damn!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:56 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Em.
Hehe ye we are moving to Atlanta on 8th March - My hubby tells me the south is exactly as you have described

Im quite looking forward to the change - of course I will miss the Dartford one-way system, the boy racers, that great accent..........Im not so sure on the church and country music tho lol!!!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:29 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
I've been to the Freeport shop many times....please tell them THAT I LOVE THEM!!! and to keep up the good work!
I'm still finishing off my last bottle of squash I bought from them, and i still have a few of the pickled onions.

You can get a few bits in Shaw's supermarkets, but a lot of them are out of date
My wife is always complaining about the numerous jars of pickled onions that I have in the fridge...with only 1 or 2 onions in each one. I will pass on your comments next time we meet shoveling or the next time I am in the shop complaining about the price of Salad Cream.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You found Double Deckers then? Have you eaten it? Good, was it? That's definitely one of the candy bars I miss the most.

I broke down and eat it the other evening/morning at 1 a.m. while finishing a book I was reading.

It was quite good. Was surprised with the crunchy bottom (almost like rice crispies) but the upper level was quite good. I'll buy again and hoard for a time when I need a chocolate fix.

Thanks for pointing them out to me.

BTW, I'm not keen on the digestives. The Cadbury ones are still sitting on my desk with only 4 missing from the pack in over a week.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
Hehe ye we are moving to Atlanta on 8th March - My hubby tells me the south is exactly as you have described

Im quite looking forward to the change - of course I will miss the Dartford one-way system, the boy racers, that great accent..........Im not so sure on the church and country music tho lol!!!
Here in Chicago we still have boy racers!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:07 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

But Atlanta is a bit different to the rest of the south, it is something of an oasis of culture in some respects, but not all.

Oh and don't worry about missing the one-way system and boy racers, when you see the traffic system in Atlanta it will be like a dream....
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:08 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Ack! All this talk about English foods. I don't think there is anywhere I can get English food in the whole 'king state!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

:::sigh::: one way systems and boy racers... I'm missing home even moreso, lol!!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:22 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
My wife is always complaining about the next time I am in the shop complaining about the price of Salad Cream.
iT'S EFFIN OUTRAGEOUS ISN'T IT!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.