Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

English foods (especially sweets)

English foods (especially sweets)

Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:52 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English foods (especially sweets)

just looked it up and thers one at our nearby mall. Now i come to think of it i remember going passed it and thinking - just another candy store - but now i know it does english stuff i will be in there like a rat up a drainpipe!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you don't mind Emma your posts are a little heavy on the eyes ...normal font is the way to go around here.

There are loads of stores where you can find British goods...it's just a question of finding them.
ohh, sorry! It's out of habit, I post on a lot of message boards and that is my usual font. Is this better?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

I know what I was going to ask, does anyone know if Dove is the same as Galaxy? The adverts are sooo similar that I'm tempted to try it but wanted to know if anyone has tried it.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:39 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

How amusing - we have a sweets from heaven shop here in the UK - in Bluewater in fact - that sells all the american goodies lol.

you can get a can of mountain dew for £1.50, or a box of lucky charms for £7.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mellybrown
How amusing - we have a sweets from heaven shop here in the UK - in Bluewater in fact - that sells all the american goodies lol.

you can get a can of mountain dew for £1.50, or a box of lucky charms for £7.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know, I used to go to that exact same one, Im a Kent girl too!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Sophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really niceSophia68 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Emma M
Wanted to share / gloat with you all that yesterday I found Bounty bars, both milk and dark chocolate, Cadbury's Dairy Milk, Toffee Crisps, Lion bars, Milkybars, Curly Wurlys, Terry's milk chocolate orange bars, Fox's ginger cream biscuits, walnut whips (both in single and 6 packs) Munchies, walkers crisps in single size bags (cheese & onion, smoky bacon, salt & vinegar and worcester sauce) Aero mint and chocolate bars, fruit pastilles and fruit gums.
I was in heaven.
In fact it was a shop called Sweets From Heaven, I think they can be found at most malls (I was at Concord Mills, NC).
Mostly anything else Cadbury's can be found at World Market, along with a lot of groceries like PG Tips and Typhoo tea, Heinz beans, salad cream, Pataks curry sauces, and loads of other stuff.
Oh cool!! Lucky you!! The English shop closest to me, has stale stuff half the time....
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:02 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I used to go to that exact same one, Im a Kent girl too!
Where abouts in Kent?? I think the water is making people leave!!

I still havent quite relented and paid so much for the lucky charms - im waiting for the cheap real thing lol!!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Where abouts in Kent?? I think the water is making people leave!!

I still havent quite relented and paid so much for the lucky charms - im waiting for the cheap real thing lol!!
I used to live in Gravesend, can't believe I miss the place, lol! It's worth it though to be with my hubby! Where do you come from?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:05 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Hmm I can get these as well. I can also get Galaxy bars, Mars bars, and yes, I found DOUBLE DECKERS.

I have it sitting on the table and have not yet opened it. Thinking of opening a mail order house for these items
You found Double Deckers then? Have you eaten it? Good, was it? That's definitely one of the candy bars I miss the most.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:06 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted to share / gloat with you all that yesterday I found Bounty bars, both milk and dark chocolate, Cadbury's Dairy Milk, Toffee Crisps, Lion bars, Milkybars, Curly Wurlys, Terry's milk chocolate orange bars, Fox's ginger cream biscuits, walnut whips (both in single and 6 packs) Munchies, walkers crisps in single size bags (cheese & onion, smoky bacon, salt & vinegar and worcester sauce) Aero mint and chocolate bars, fruit pastilles and fruit gums.
I was in heaven.
In fact it was a shop called Sweets From Heaven, I think they can be found at most malls (I was at Concord Mills, NC).
Mostly anything else Cadbury's can be found at World Market, along with a lot of groceries like PG Tips and Typhoo tea, Heinz beans, salad cream, Pataks curry sauces, and loads of other stuff.
Been there a couple of times when I've been to Charlotte. I've never seen one anywhere else in NC.

Are you going to move to Charlotte then?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:00 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.......... Dew............
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

latempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nice

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I can find pretty much all of that in my local supermarket! My hubby was most impressed with the mint aero I brought home for him on Sunday. I was tempted by the Yorkie myself but then I remembered they're not for girls...

Our local supermarket (Kroger's) also has an English section selling everything from Hob Nobs, Maltesers (my USC hubby's favorite!), Lion Bars, Squash and Barley Waters, Baked Beans, Salad Cream, Wine Gums, soups, syrup puddings, etc etc etc for pretty reasonable prices (cheaper than some of the bigger UK shops in Florida!). We now also have a Firkin and Fox here in the backwaters of West Virginia that do a pretty good Fish and Chips or Bangers and Mash for those odd cravings I don't miss as many foods as I used to when I first moved over the pond, but I still miss some real bacon and wish I could source that locally!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:01 pm
Resident Sillycow

I used to live in Gravesend, can't believe I miss the place, lol! It's worth it though to be with my hubby! Where do you come from?
Im sitting in Dartford right now - how close is that!!!!!!

I think im worried you miss the place lol, I cant wait to get out of here!!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:53 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Have committed to memory the things that local grocery stores sell, which are almost always cheaper than going to the Brit food shop in our area.
Can get the usual fare at World Market, crumpets, cream crackers, etc at a posh grocery store.
Make a fortnightly trip to the Brit store to get Sausages (always been addicted and spent many dry years here), bacon (often substitute good US for a sarnie) and a loaf of bread (they stock actual English bread ), Scottish meat pies and other odds and ends.
Actually found those "flying saucers" the other day (communion wafer thingies with sherbert in them) for 10c each.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Im sitting in Dartford right now - how close is that!!!!!!

I think im worried you miss the place lol, I cant wait to get out of here!!!!!
It's the culture thing, are you moving to the US? If you are, don't move to the south unless you really REALLY love country music, church, really fattening food and drag racing. That is where I am now.
Everything is miles away, no walking down the street to find everything I need on my doorstep, no hopping on a bus, nothing like that, you either have a car or go without.
Saying that, I have mellowed quite a bit to this place, there are some things I would definately miss if I left the south, and the weather is awesome!
Good luck with your move!
Em.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.