Wikiposts

Dunkirk movie

Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dunkirk movie

Originally Posted by dc koop
The only advantage the Sherman had over the latest German Tiger tank was that it could like the T-34 be produced in much greater quantities and with an inexhaustible supply of replacements to cover the losses

I've heard some of these old veterans talk about the Sherman. Like the tank battle scene shown in the film "Fury" the only sure way to knock out a Tiger before it got you was to keep out of range while circling to the side of it and then getting close in fast enough to get off a shot at the turret side where the armor was less protective.

The Germans did manage to field some very good weapons, the 88 MM field artillery gun, the MG-42 machine gun and a bit too late the V-2. and the ME-262 jet fighter.
Tiger was a heavy Tank, Sherman a Medium.

Morel likely you would call in the Artillery and Jabos.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 8:12 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My Uncle Bob commanded a squadron of Sherman tanks, and because the radios weren't very reliable he used a bugle to get the attention of the others. My cousin and I spent hours trying to play it when we were kids, and I suppose he still has it.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
My Uncle Bob commanded a squadron of Sherman tanks, and because the radios weren't very reliable he used a bugle to get the attention of the others. My cousin and I spent hours trying to play it when we were kids, and I suppose he still has it.
So Bob's Yer Uncle, then!
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I shall be boycotting this movie in support of the French . Who else is with me.

Dunkirk: French critic accuses film of being 'witheringly impolite' by underplaying French involvement in the evacuation | The Independent
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 7:03 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Not I. Didn't take them long after Dunkirk to start collaborating with the Nazis, Laval, Petain et al

In the main it was the French Communists who formed the resistance groups.

Last edited by dc koop; Jul 22nd 2017 at 7:05 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 7:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Not I. Didn't take them long after Dunkirk to start collaborating with the Nazis, Laval, Petain et al

In the main it was the French Communists who formed the resistance groups.
"Them?"

French people living in France "collaborated," usually a prudent thing to do. Vichy was the government of France and life had to go on.

Many thousands of French men and women served abroad in the Free French service, armed forces, merchant marine and support services. Thousands died in action. Obviously the majority of these weren't communists.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
"Them?"

French people living in France "collaborated," usually a prudent thing to do. Vichy was the government of France and life had to go on.

Many thousands of French men and women served abroad in the Free French service, armed forces, merchant marine and support services. Thousands died in action. Obviously the majority of these weren't communists.
Very prudent, and not just in France.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:02 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
"Them?"

When I mentioned members of the French Communist party I meant those French civilians who operated against the Nazis in occupied France. They blew up train tracks, cut phone lines, in general carried out a program of harassment against the occupiers. They also worked closely with British M.I.6 arranging rendez -vous points for saboteurs flown in from the UK. They proved themselves exceptionally useful just prior to the D-Day landings in providing information on the disposition of German forces in the Normandy region.

The Free French of course weren't necessarily Communists. They were members of the French military who had managed to get out of France before the surrender, many of them at Dunkirk. Other French citizens in North Africa also joined the Free French forces after Operation Torch was carried out.

The Viichy government with the help of French Police and occasionally civilians rounded up thousands of French Jews who ended up in Auschwitz. They also provided lists of available men and women to serve in the Nazi Todt Labour organization.

Last edited by dc koop; Jul 23rd 2017 at 5:21 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by morpeth
Very prudent, and not just in France.
For a member of a bomber crew shot down over France 50-50 chance they would not be turned in by one of the locals.

A neighbor of mine who died a few years back landed with the 101st in Normandy. Some of the locals weren't too friendly either. They didn't see them as liberators but the source of an inconvenient disruption in their lives.

Some of them were caught looting the bodies of dead Paras, even removing their clothing. The MPs rounded them up and took them behind a nearby farmhouse and shot them all.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
At it's peak of production Willow Run was spitting out a B-24 every 90 minutes. I told my friend Hans (who's dad had bombed England in Heinkels) that they didn't stand a chance.
I saw a documentary a few years ago done in the seventies when many players were still alive. They interviewed a German analyst whose task was accessing American war materials production. He said when he ran the numbers on predicted bomber production he knew the war was lost. He said that the numbers he predicted also turned out to be way low.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

For a member of a bomber crew shot down over France 50-50 chance they would not be turned in by one of the locals.

A neighbor of mine who died a few years back landed with the 101st in Normandy. Some of the locals weren't too friendly either. They didn't see them as liberators but the source of an inconvenient disruption in their lives.

Some of them were caught looting the bodies of dead Paras, even removing their clothing. The MPs rounded them up and took them behind a nearby farmhouse and shot them all.
Did I read correctly that allied MP's were shooting French looters ? I hadn't heard that was common.

In the situation in France under German rule it certainly was prudent to collaborate, and I have met some Frenchmen who said life under German rule for the most part was comfortable enough.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I saw a documentary a few years ago done in the seventies when many players were still alive. They interviewed a German analyst whose task was accessing American war materials production. He said when he ran the numbers on predicted bomber production he knew the war was lost. He said that the numbers he predicted also turned out to be way low.
It seems at all levels the Germans underestimated many factors about the Russians and the Americans. I have also seen references that one of reasons for timing of the war was the view of some in Germany, including Hitler, that Germanys relative advantage in some areas would decline as the Allies geared up production and military preparation.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:58 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Did I read correctly that allied MP's were shooting French looters ? I hadn't heard that was common.
For someone uncertain of their reading, you write very precisely. The Londoners who looted bombed houses during the Blitz could have been hanged or shot, but the courts only jailed them. MP's in a war zone could probably be authorised to shoot looters, but I would imagine it is an effective deterrent so not too common.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:59 am
Banned

In the situation in France under German rule it certainly was prudent to collaborate, and I have met some Frenchmen who said life under German rule for the most part was comfortable enough.
Collorate means helping the enemy. Would you have helped the Nazis ?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Collorate means helping the enemy. Would you have helped the Nazis ?
If the occupying force said 'everyone stand over there', are you 'collaborating' by standing over there, or just being prudent? I imagine that self-preservation was a key factor in most people's lives during these times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.