Dunkirk movie

Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:58 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dunkirk movie

Going to see Dunkirk tonight on 70mm IMAX. Can't wait - that tagline choked me up:

When 400,000 men couldn't get home,
Home came for them.

Let you know how it goes.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 2:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dunkirk movie

Always wondered what happened.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Does it have a happy ending ? Do the Germans win ?
Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:59 am
Account Closed

Old Jul 18th 2017, 7:21 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Hadn't heard of this film till I saw this thread, thanks Octang! I just read the review in the guardian, the reviewer praised it highly. "Horribly appropriate for these Brexit times."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...st-film-so-far

Among other things, he praises the music score. The reviewer says the film entirely concentrates on the scene at Dunkirk, and the rescue, so doesn't include the military campaign that led to Dunkirk.

I don't know where this was filmed, I had a quick look at the IMDb page but didn't see this..
Old Jul 18th 2017, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Hadn't heard of this film till I saw this thread, thanks Octang! I just read the review in the guardian, the reviewer praised it highly. "Horribly appropriate for these Brexit times."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...st-film-so-far

Among other things, he praises the music score. The reviewer says the film entirely concentrates on the scene at Dunkirk, and the rescue, so doesn't include the military campaign that led to Dunkirk.

I don't know where this was filmed, I had a quick look at the IMDb page but didn't see this..
Parts of it were filmed in Weymouth - Weymouth shines in Christopher Nolan's new Dunkirk trailer – but there’s something not very 40s in the background! (From Dorset Echo)
Old Jul 18th 2017, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Dunkirk (2017) - Filming Locations - IMDb

Ian
Old Jul 18th 2017, 5:37 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part, I really enjoyed it. To say it's intense would be an a understatement. Triptych storytelling, depicting a week on land, a day at sea, and an hour in the air, with the three threads coalescing in the final act.

I usually like Hans Zimmer's music, but the score in this is a little overbearing and sometimes unnecessary - it seems to use a Stuka's scream and a ticking clock incessantly. Nerve jangling nonetheless.

Weymouth and Dorset feature prominently - my old stomping grounds... may have blubbed a little - I think the theater was just dusty; I don't know.

Only criticism of the film is that it didn't show the scale of the number of people on the beach, nor the number of "little ships" - there were 800 - and the fact that they went back, and back, and back, and back, and back, and back... Some text acknowledging the sacrifice of the rearguard action protecting those on the beach would've been welcome too.

There are some brilliant flashes of British stoicism and humour, and the overall Dunkirk Spirit is seen at the end of the movie - not just in the bedraggled, exhausted soldiers - but in the civilians welcoming these defeated men home as heroes. It really choked me up.

In all, a tense, taut, time-slipping movie (it's a Chris Nolan so you know time is non-linear) which depicts the anonymity, desperation and heroism of this often overlooked but pivotal event. Definitely recommend it. It's loud, flawed, repetitious at times - but it stays with you when you leave the theater. I can't wait to see it again.

P.S. Tom Hardy. Never had a crush on a guy before. Jesus. Let's send this guy after Kim Jong Un.

P.P.S. it's shot in 65mm or 70mm IMAX - they even put IMAX cameras in the Spitfires. Definitely watch it in that format.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:33 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Why did Hitler order the Panzer divisions to halt their advance thus allowing the mass evacuation of some 350,000 survivors of the BEF ?

It seems it was the first of several bad decisions he made that led to Germany eventually losing the war
Old Jul 19th 2017, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dc koop
Why did Hitler order the Panzer divisions to halt their advance thus allowing the mass evacuation of some 350,000 survivors of the BEF ?

It seems it was the first of several bad decisions he made that led to Germany eventually losing the war
The general consensus is that it was due to power play within the German High Command, there were a number of practical reasons to do so as well.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The general consensus is that it was due to power play within the German High Command, there were a number of practical reasons to do so as well.
Keitel's memoirs certainly confirm that, also an opinion that the Generals abrogated responsibility to Hitler. He also praised the French, writing "...thanks largely to the gallant stand made by the French, who fought us to the finish there."
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop

I am not sure the decision was that critical to Germany losing the war, and Hitler always wanted to have peace with Great Britain. He even offered German soldiers to help maintain British Empire. Also logistical reasons, the rapid advance strained supply lines, and after all the objective was to knock France out of the war, which was achieved. There was also the issue of imposing his control on the upper echelon of the German army.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
For the most part, I really enjoyed it. To say it's intense would be an a understatement. Triptych storytelling, depicting a week on land, a day at sea, and an hour in the air, with the three threads coalescing in the final act.

I usually like Hans Zimmer's music, but the score in this is a little overbearing and sometimes unnecessary - it seems to use a Stuka's scream and a ticking clock incessantly. Nerve jangling nonetheless.

Weymouth and Dorset feature prominently - my old stomping grounds... may have blubbed a little - I think the theater was just dusty; I don't know.

Only criticism of the film is that it didn't show the scale of the number of people on the beach, nor the number of "little ships" - there were 800 - and the fact that they went back, and back, and back, and back, and back, and back... Some text acknowledging the sacrifice of the rearguard action protecting those on the beach would've been welcome too.

There are some brilliant flashes of British stoicism and humour, and the overall Dunkirk Spirit is seen at the end of the movie - not just in the bedraggled, exhausted soldiers - but in the civilians welcoming these defeated men home as heroes. It really choked me up.

In all, a tense, taut, time-slipping movie (it's a Chris Nolan so you know time is non-linear) which depicts the anonymity, desperation and heroism of this often overlooked but pivotal event. Definitely recommend it. It's loud, flawed, repetitious at times - but it stays with you when you leave the theater. I can't wait to see it again.

P.S. Tom Hardy. Never had a crush on a guy before. Jesus. Let's send this guy after Kim Jong Un.

P.P.S. it's shot in 65mm or 70mm IMAX - they even put IMAX cameras in the Spitfires. Definitely watch it in that format.
Look forward to the movie ! I grew up with stories about Dunkirk. Both my mother and grandmother were always very insistent about swimming lessons for the children and grandchildren :from story of one of my uncles that so many British men didn't know how to swim that many ended up drowning or almost drowning.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:10 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I am not sure the decision was that critical to Germany losing the war, and Hitler always wanted to have peace with Great Britain. He even offered German soldiers to help maintain British Empire. Also logistical reasons, the rapid advance strained supply lines, and after all the objective was to knock France out of the war, which was achieved. There was also the issue of imposing his control on the upper echelon of the German army.
That sounds like the most plausible explanation. A gesture of goodwill on the part of Hitler since he hoped for peace with Britain perhaps. Hitler didn't know Winston however and the 350,000 BEF plus Free French who managed to be evacuated formed the nucleus of the Army that was to defeat his Afrika Korps and later the force that landed on D-Day. So therefore I think he did make a serious mistake which was the first of several.

His greatest mistake however was attacking the Soviet Union and later his direction of the battle of Stalingrad
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:43 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada most of us had to read The Snow Goose in school early on, could have been as early as grade 5 or 6, so Dunkirk got a little attention beyond history class. Imax movies aren't in the plan, but I look forward to seeing this after it's theatre run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.