Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Covid Travel Question.

Covid Travel Question.

Old Jul 25th 2020, 8:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid Travel Question.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
what is the point of 14 day isolation if one can break it and get in a cab/train etc, wander around the airport terminal, get on a plane?
Quarantine on arrival becomes a somewhat moot point if you’re not going to let someone travel in the first place.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion to you would be to get tested a couple of times immediately before you travel to the UK and be as careful as possible. Yes they will instruct you to self-quarantine but they cannot enforce it (No one will come chasing after you). Morally, however, you have taken fair and reasonable steps to protect yourself and others by confirming negative tests and practicing the same or higher levels of safety.

In other words, no one in their right mind is going to stop you from attending your sisters funeral. While the police are not enforcing quarantine, I would be ashamed if any of my officers did anything other than offer their assistance to you.

For what it's worth, I'm travelling to the UK soon. I won't be quarantining. I will be getting three tests; one three days prior, one before my flight with rapid results and one immediately when I land (private test). I'll isolate in a hotel for three days or until I get results from the final test. After that, I'll use precautions. Quarantine is more for those who cannot/will not get tested, as it is not widely available for the public in the UK to do so.

My condolences to you.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 10:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
My suggestion to you would be to get tested a couple of times immediately before you travel to the UK and be as careful as possible. Yes they will instruct you to self-quarantine but they cannot enforce it (No one will come chasing after you). Morally, however, you have taken fair and reasonable steps to protect yourself and others by confirming negative tests and practicing the same or higher levels of safety.

In other words, no one in their right mind is going to stop you from attending your sisters funeral. While the police are not enforcing quarantine, I would be ashamed if any of my officers did anything other than offer their assistance to you.

For what it's worth, I'm travelling to the UK soon. I won't be quarantining. I will be getting three tests; one three days prior, one before my flight with rapid results and one immediately when I land (private test). I'll isolate in a hotel for three days or until I get results from the final test. After that, I'll use precautions. Quarantine is more for those who cannot/will not get tested, as it is not widely available for the public in the UK to do so.

My condolences to you.
This. Good common sense. Isolate yourself at home from right now;get tested as much as you can; wear a mask.
My condolences to you too.
I think this situation would be up there in one of the worst nightmare scenarios. Big hugs.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

I haven't been on in a while and in reading this thread, I see how noxious this whole situation is for so many people. My condolences to you and to everyone in a similar situation.

Here in the UK quarantine has been the talk of the town, but most coverage has focused on holidaymakers wanting to go to Spain or wherever. It seems (and is) trivial in comparison with what has been discussed in this thread. I was last in the US at Christmas, and I'd like to be able to go back and see my aging parents in person, but in my case it's not practical at the moment, so I'll just continue to sit tight barring an emergency.

Again, my condolences, and best wishes to everyone looking to travel for similar reasons.