Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Guinea Pigs required

Guinea Pigs required

Old Jul 16th 2020, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Guinea Pigs required

I'm sure how common this knowledge is, but if you want to volunteer for Covid-19 testing, the HHS has a website setup. You may even get an early vaccine.

https://www.coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/
Old Jul 16th 2020, 4:47 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guinea Pigs required

I was going to say that my local Peruvian store has them in the frozen section, but I see this is the wrong type of guinea pig.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 5:11 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Don't they normally have to pay people to be part of trials?
Old Jul 16th 2020, 5:54 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

very noble if people want to sign up but personally, I would be reluctant to join anything other than stage 3 large scale trials when the dosage/benefits/side effects have been refined.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2022483
Old Jul 16th 2020, 6:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
very noble if people want to sign up but personally, I would be reluctant to join anything other than stage 3 large scale trials when the dosage/benefits/side effects have been refined. ....
I agree. I might have had a different opinon if I was in a high risk job, or otherwise had a high risk of exposure, say if I needed to fly frequently, but as it is, I see little benefit to me volunteering at this stage.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 11:32 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I signed up for this! Feeling a sense of the greater good and all that. The trials have been going well so far. I imagine that if I eventually get called up the biggest risk will be that the vaccine is ineffective. My mom lost her $h!t when I told her. She said I may as well go to a Covid party. Seriously!
Old Jul 25th 2020, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So nothing to do with the other thread about moving Guinea Pigs to the US.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 6:18 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I signed up for this! Feeling a sense of the greater good and all that. The trials have been going well so far. I imagine that if I eventually get called up the biggest risk will be that the vaccine is ineffective. My mom lost her $h!t when I told her. She said I may as well go to a Covid party. Seriously!
Well I assume you do have to be exposed to covid at some point otherwise they have no idea if the vaccine works so your mother isn't completely wrong.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

If only I hadn't gotten so fat in lockdown, and also still lived in the US...

On second thought...
Old Jul 26th 2020, 5:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
On behalf of the entire world who will benefit from a vaccine, thank you! If it weren't for people like you we'd have no hope at all.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 6:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Well I assume you do have to be exposed to covid at some point otherwise they have no idea if the vaccine works ....
Well no, at least not primarily. The test is whether the vaccine causes the recipient to develop the same immune response (antibodies) as the actual disease. Of course the concern is whether antibodies from having actually had the disease last more than even a few months, and one of the criteria for a "successful" vaccine is how long it provides protection for - which ideally would be "permanent", or for a number of years, but we could end up with a need for an annual vaccine, similar to the annual flu vaccine which varies slightly every year.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 26th 2020 at 6:09 pm.