Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Covid Travel Question.

Covid Travel Question.

Old Jul 24th 2020, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Covid Travel Question.

I need to travel to the UK for my sisters funeral and self isolation in the UK is 14 days, does this mean you have to stay for 14 days or can you visit the UK for 7 days and then return to the US?
Old Jul 24th 2020, 12:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid Travel Question.

You would have to self isolate for 14 days before going to the funeral. If you only want to stay for 7 days you will not be able to attend. If you stay for 7 days...you will need to travel to the airport, be in the terminal and be in the plane for several hours...that is not self isolating.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess i am screwed then, just cannot make it work if that's the way it is
Old Jul 24th 2020, 12:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amie06
How very rude of me...my condolences.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 12:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Attending a family member's funeral is one of the allowed reasons for leaving self-isolation. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...avel-to-the-uk

Do note though that you would have to go straight to the funeral, and then return - so no going to a wake, or family member's house or anything like that. But at least you could attend the funeral.

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Old Jul 24th 2020, 12:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Attending a family member's funeral is one of the allowed reasons for leaving self-isolation. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...avel-to-the-uk

Do note though that you would have to go straight to the funeral, and then return - so no going to a wake, or family member's house or anything like that. But at least you could attend the funeral.

So sorry to hear of your loss.
  • you need to go to the funeral of a family member of someone you live with

The OP lives in the US...not with the deceased. Also she would still have to stay in quarantine for 14 days in the UK before travelling to the airport.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 12:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
  • you need to go to the funeral of a family member of someone you live with

The OP lives in the US...not with the deceased. Also she would still have to stay in quarantine for 14 days in the UK before travelling to the airport.
I think it's a typo - should read 'of a family member OR someone you live with', same as the other exemption below. Not least because it's not grammatically correct otherwise!

OP hasn't actually said which country they'd be going to though, the above is only relevant for England, I assume other countries will have their own rules.

Old Jul 24th 2020, 1:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Please accept my sympathy. I lost my sister in May and was in the same situation; however I was able to "attend" the funeral via a video bridge. Additionally, only so many people were allowed to be actually present at the crematorium, and with my BIL, her children and grandchildren, I would have put the number over the edge anyway. It wasn't worth us risking the health of the family -- or mine in getting on an airplane at this time -- for me to be physically present (aside from all the quarantining that would have been necessary at both ends of the trip). There were many people in the UK who wanted to attend but couldn't because of current regulations, so my BIL is planning a memorial at a later date. The way things are going, one wonders how much later . . .
Old Jul 24th 2020, 1:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Please accept my sympathy. I lost my sister in May and was in the same situation; however I was able to "attend" the funeral via a video bridge. Additionally, only so many people were allowed to be actually present at the crematorium, and with my BIL, her children and grandchildren, I would have put the number over the edge anyway. It wasn't worth us risking the health of the family -- or mine in getting on an airplane at this time -- for me to be physically present (aside from all the quarantining that would have been necessary at both ends of the trip). There were many people in the UK who wanted to attend but couldn't because of current regulations, so my BIL is planning a memorial at a later date. The way things are going, one wonders how much later . . .
Video bridge...what a great idea.

years ago...before the video thing...I was unable to attend my aunt’s funeral. When it came to the time of the funeral, I sat quietly, looked at a few photos and thought about various times I had spent with her.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to all who replied and for the condolences, to make the picture clearer, I would be travelling from the USA to England for funeral, in England i would stay with my Mother. My hope was to fly to England for a week, during that time i would attend the funeral and then return to US. Self isolation rules in England allow you to attend a funeral during isolation. My main concern is would i be allowed to return to US after 7 days, either by US or UK immigration? After much searching i cannot find the answer to a trip for less than 14 days with isolation.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Isolation is with the intent to stick around, so you can stay for less, you just have self isolate for the entire time you are there for stays < 14 days.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 12:02 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

What is your immigration status in the USA? That is what will determine if you can re-enter after being in the UK without an interim 14 day stay in an intermediate country.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 3:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Providing the OP is a US citizen or Green Card holder then there would be no issue with what she intends to do providing she remains self-isolated for the duration of her time in the UK bar attending the funeral and travelling to and from the airport.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 5:55 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all who replied and for the condolences, to make the picture clearer, I would be travelling from the USA to England for funeral, in England i would stay with my Mother. My hope was to fly to England for a week, during that time i would attend the funeral and then return to US. Self isolation rules in England allow you to attend a funeral during isolation. My main concern is would i be allowed to return to US after 7 days, either by US or UK immigration? After much searching i cannot find the answer to a trip for less than 14 days with isolation.
I am sorry to hear about what has happened. I have not read any of your previous posts apart from the one that started this thread so if I am off base in what I say I apologise in advance.

You say you would isolate with your Mother and your user name information appears to list as you being in Alabama? A state with a high rate of infection and transmission. So before anything else should you not get tested yourself to ensure you don't have the Covid before embarking on any travel regardless of quarantine requirements? If you are an asymptomatic carrier or if you do get the infection during the flight it might be highly likely your Mother would catch it during a 14 day quarantine in the same household for what that statement is worth.

Last edited by andyrebell; Jul 25th 2020 at 5:57 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Providing the OP is a US citizen or Green Card holder then there would be no issue with what she intends to do providing she remains self-isolated for the duration of her time in the UK bar attending the funeral and travelling to and from the airport.
what is the point of 14 day isolation if one can break it and get in a cab/train etc, wander around the airport terminal, get on a plane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.