Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Old Jun 24th 2016, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

THis says a lot , British stocks lost £125 billion after Brexit—or 15 years worth of EU contributions.

Mark Carney reacts to EU referendum: Markets tumble as UK votes to leave EU and Cameron resigns — Quartz
Old Jun 24th 2016, 10:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be Gove.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 10:57 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Trump blames Obama for Brexit. Makes perfect sense.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:19 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It'll be Gove.
I don't think it matters who is PM, as we speculated way back at the start of the thread, the UK is likely to end up being in the EEA or a de facto EEA member like Switzerland.

Can't see how they placate the Scottish otherwise. Or the Irish. Or the EU.

The only argument they've got is the trade deficit. So that trumps Scottish independence and a civil war in Northern Ireland does it? Somehow I think not.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:32 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 25th 2016, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

It hardly shows intelligence to accuse the people who voted for Brexit old, poor or stupid. I voted for it and I am none of those, my best friend is 34 and she voted for Brexit. Nobody that I have spoken to regrets getting the result that they voted for. We can have a perfectly civil relationship with Europe without being yoked to the EU, rather like Jersey, which is not in the EU. In fact, Jersey allowed citizens of Romania working rights before the mainland UK did, because it suited their needs. I also think it is fairer that all non Brits are treated the same, instead of non EU citizens being the poor relatives of the EU citizens.

There's a lot of panicking going on but the markets will recover. If house prices go down a bit at least it will help a few youngsters' chances of getting on the housing ladder, and they always go up and up eventually.

I work for an employer that hires a lot of European staff especially in the catering department. One of my colleagues said today that some of them were worried. I honestly don't think they have much reason to worry. Those who are already in the UK and working won't be affected. I'd be very surprised if there was any change except not being able to claim benefits for their first 5 years or something similar to the arrangements for non EU citizens. And of course they're still be entitled to contribution based job seekers for 6 months or however long that is. But the ones at my work don't want benefits anyway they want to work.

The way some people are going on you'd think the EU was as vital as oxygen! Even London Mayor Sadiq Khan has said there is no need to panic, London still is and will remain the world's number one city.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
It hardly shows intelligence to accuse the people who voted for Brexit old, poor or stupid. I voted for it and I am none of those, my best friend is 34 and she voted for Brexit. Nobody that I have spoken to regrets getting the result that they voted for.
Its a fact that younger age cohorts voted in a clear majority to remain and older a clear majority to leave. Leaving aside Scotland, it's also a fact that economically poorer areas tended to vote leave whereas economically wealthier areas tended to vote remain. And people with a higher income voted more to remain, those with a lower income voted more to leave.

http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...t-vote-was-won

I also think it is fairer that all non Brits are treated the same, instead of non EU citizens being the poor relatives of the EU citizens.
If the UK ends up with in the EEA or with an EEA-like deal, then that still won't be the case.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 25th 2016 at 12:30 am.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:13 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

We can have a perfectly civil relationship with Europe without being yoked to the EU, rather like Jersey, which is not in the EU. In fact, Jersey allowed citizens of Romania working rights before the mainland UK did, because it suited their needs. I also think it is fairer that all non Brits are treated the same, instead of non EU citizens being the poor relatives of the EU citizens.
Jersey is completely irrelevant, they don't even allow British citizens to work there without a permit. You have to live there for 20 years iirc.

It's not about having a "civil relationship", by definition the UK is located in Europe. Odds are that the outcome will be something like what the Norwegians have with the EU, which basically means they have to follow European directives, allow free movement and pay into the European budget, but have much less say in the formulation of European law.

That's less independence, not more. If Mr Gove is correct and other countries join the EU then in fact the UK will be surrounded by the EU and have hardly any say in European policy. Then you definitely will be yoked to the EU.

And people from the EU will still have freedom of movement as part of the EEA, so no difference there.

This is the whole problem with this thing, false claims as to what would happen when the UK left. The UK has no leverage in negotiations, because most of the Scottish and the Irish don't want to leave. You either do what the EU says or kiss the UK goodbye.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a good chance we will not stay in the EEA and I think that is what people who voted to come out want, and if they stick us in the EEA, there will have to be another referendum to come out of the EEA. The EU may well break up in any case if other countries come out of it. Even EU leaders have now said that the EU needs to reform, it became more than the member countries wanted it to be.

I don't see what being geographically in Europe has to do with it. The USA is geographically in North America but they don't have free movement of people from Canada and Mexico at least not legally so.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:36 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

So, it starts. Junckers wants the UK out asap. There will be a meeting with the Brits on Tuesday, then without the Brits on Wednesday when the EU powers decide how to proceed. Apparently, they want to make the exit painful enough so that other countries even thinking about it will hesitate.

If only the UK had a leader strong enough to turn round and say that it's not in the best interests of the UK to leave the EU. The whole sorry episode is one of people who thought they would just make a point about the EU- and too many of them did.

Cured me of homesickness. I am sickened by it all, what a horrible stupid waste. Europe will re-group and go on. The UK will be on the sidelines. Britain is not like Norway or Switzerland, it is deeply in debt and has squandered it's natural reserves. Unlike Norway.....
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm sick too. That people think so little of our country.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Jersey is completely irrelevant, they don't even allow British citizens to work there without a permit. You have to live there for 20 years iirc.

It's not about having a "civil relationship", by definition the UK is located in Europe. Odds are that the outcome will be something like what the Norwegians have with the EU, which basically means they have to follow European directives, allow free movement and pay into the European budget, but have much less say in the formulation of European law.

That's less independence, not more. If Mr Gove is correct and other countries join the EU then in fact the UK will be surrounded by the EU and have hardly any say in European policy. Then you definitely will be yoked to the EU.

And people from the EU will still have freedom of movement as part of the EEA, so no difference there.

This is the whole problem with this thing, false claims as to what would happen when the UK left. The UK has no leverage in negotiations, because most of the Scottish and the Irish don't want to leave. You either do what the EU says or kiss the UK goodbye.

I personally don't think the UK has a future - Scotland will demand a second independence referendum and they will win this time. Scotland will leave the UK - and I don't blame them. The British talked about "wanting to take their country back". Well the Scots will do just that. The people all cheering and waving their Union Jacks this morning had better get used to the idea that the Union Jack might look very different in a few years without the Cross of St Andrew. As for Northern Ireland - that's a whole different story and I really worry about the stability there. It's such a fragile peace (I grew up there and have family there) and heavens knows what might happen. As I mentioned in another thread - the English and Welsh who voted for this have cut off their noses to spite their faces. It's not simple - nothing ever is - there's always consequences.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
So, it starts. Junckers wants the UK out asap. There will be a meeting with the Brits on Tuesday, then without the Brits on Wednesday when the EU powers decide how to proceed. Apparently, they want to make the exit painful enough so that other countries even thinking about it will hesitate.
Gosh what charmers they are, not vindictive at all! Frankly I am glad to be out of such a nasty club.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:49 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I have a different perspective because I lived in France for so long and brought up my kids there? I enjoyed all the advantages of being in Europe as a Brit. I spoke to people who see the higher values of the EU - peace, co-operation and economic prosperity for all. I lived in a place where 2 wars had wrought untold hell upon the inhabitants - that still informed the way they lived and believed.

My daughter made a point today. In France, every child has a civics class. They learn about democracy, about government and about our place in it. French children learn how the EU is made up,how the commissioners are chosen, how the laws are made. They do this in the US too. Not in the UK. As my daughter pointed out, this Brexit result is a damning indictment of the UK education system. Honestly, people could be lied to so easily and led down a path out of sheer ignorance.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise;1198,

If only the UK had a leader strong enough to turn round and say that it's not in the best interests of the UK to leave the EU.
You mean a leader who acts like a dictator and ignores democracy? Lovely!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.