Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The overwhelming majority of my facebook friends were in support of remaining in the EU. Post after post of disappointment from all of them today. Quite a few have already applied for Irish passports, interestingly.
I had a look, but I'm not quite Irish enough despite having Fitzgeralds and Moylans all over the family tree.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
And who will they blame in 5 years time when it takes even longer to get an appointment at your GP surgery, school classes are even bigger, the only jobs available are still zero hours contracts and terrorism hasn't gone away?

If the UK government had planned, invested and build schools, roads, houses & hospitals to cope with the recent immigration levels, would there be as much of an objection as there is?
This is what I kept saying - not that it did any good. Most of the things people were complaining about were entirely down to our own government to address. The Leave campaign succeeded in making it about the EU.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I heard the Irish passport website crashed.

They have to dissolve Parliament, only way out of this mess.
Not sure what the best course of action is, really.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I had a look, but I'm not quite Irish enough despite having Fitzgeralds and Moylans all over the family tree.
It only really applies to people born in Northern Ireland, they were given the ability post-agreement to apply for British or Irish passports, as is my understanding.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Not sure what the best course of action is, really.

It only really applies to people born in Northern Ireland, they were given the ability post-agreement to apply for British or Irish passports, as is my understanding.
Had I been able to summon up an Irish grandparent born in Ireland, I might have been in, but no.

Meanwhile, this is encouraging... (I posted it in the mad part of the forum also.
'What happens if we leave the EU?' Google search spike suggests Britons are clueless about Brexit
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The country has gone crazy, the petition for a 2nd vote crashed the website and already has over 140,000 signatures.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had any family ask if I can get them a US visa yet
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Had I been able to summon up an Irish grandparent born in Ireland, I might have been in, but no.

Meanwhile, this is encouraging... (I posted it in the mad part of the forum also.
'What happens if we leave the EU?' Google search spike suggests Britons are clueless about Brexit
Just stay here and live the dream like the rest of us
Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that yesterday. It beggars belief, it really does. How can you vote on something that is probably the biggest thing you'll ever vote on, and not know what you are actually voting for. I've been watching Sky all morning. They were interviewing the man on the street (well, in the pub). Some guy on there says he was sick of unelected beurocrats in Brussels making UK laws. I'd be interested if he could name 1 law that Brussels had passed onto the UK. My guess is he couldn't.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by markonline1
I saw that yesterday. It beggars belief, it really does. How can you vote on something that is probably the biggest thing you'll ever vote on, and not know what you are actually voting for. I've been watching Sky all morning. They were interviewing the man on the street (well, in the pub). Some guy on there says he was sick of unelected beurocrats in Brussels making UK laws. I'd be interested if he could name 1 law that Brussels had passed onto the UK. My guess is he couldn't.
He will be the first to complain when fuel and beer goes up because of the weak currency and inflation.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:14 pm

I'm sure you're right. Somehow, the Leave campaign and its hangers on managed to take the natural tendency of the British to flip two fingers at others and turn it into this hysterical and misdirected reaction. I have no respect for it at all.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I'd be interested if he could name 1 law that Brussels had passed onto the UK. My guess is he couldn't.
Whether he could name one or not doesn't alter the fact that 30%-60% (I've seen various estimates) of British legislation are a direct result of EU legislation/directives.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you're right. Somehow, the Leave campaign and its hangers on managed to take the natural tendency of the British to flip two fingers at others and turn it into this hysterical and misdirected reaction. I have no respect for it at all.
I saw a comment by a young man saying he was going to vote 'leave' just so he could force the government to look again at parts of the EU membership rules, didn't have a clue that voting leave would mean actually leaving the EU. thought it would be a bit like the sort of protest vote you get at by-elections.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I saw a comment by a young man saying he was going to vote 'leave' just so he could force the government to look again at parts of the EU membership rules, didn't have a clue that voting leave would mean actually leaving the EU. thought it would be a bit like the sort of protest vote you get at by-elections.
People often vote for certain parties or candidates for misguided, foolish, or even stupid reasons. That's part and parcel of democracy. Nobody has to explain or just their vote for it to be valid, and it is surely elitist to suggest otherwise. ..... What next - an IQ test to be allowed to register to vote?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Whether he could name one or not doesn't alter the fact that 30%-60% (I've seen various estimates) of British legislation are a direct result of EU legislation/directives.
I am guessing that a similar percentage to that of Federal legislation imposed on States.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sigh.

You've won - you can stop repeating this rubbish now.

Most of our laws are not EU-made - Telegraph

Only 13.2% of UK laws come from what we agree in Europe - Richard Corbett

https://theconversation.com/fact-che...y-the-eu-58516

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.