Reload this Page >

Compulsory Photo ID for Voting

Compulsory Photo ID for Voting

Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Compulsory Photo ID for Voting

Originally Posted by Michael
It's just that I've been on other web sites where 21 year olds are bitching about ACA but for some reason they can afford $300 per month car payments, $200 per month car insurance, spring break in Cancun, and all their other toys but really hate the idea that they might have to pay $100 per month for health insurance. It seems to me that if they have a car accident and end up in the hospital for weeks, that's everyone else's responsibility and it's no skin off their ass.

In those cases, I have no sympathy. However I believe that in some cases, the health care costs for ACA are too high. However republicans think that free Medicaid for 100% of the poverty level is too high let alone 133% for ACA, subsidies up to 400% of the poverty level is ridiculous, and the only sympathy they have for you is that you are forced to purchase health care but if you end up in the hospital, they'd rather not treat you if you can't pay.
Seems like the 21's will go for skinny policies, or stay on their Parents policies. Not that I care much, I and the majority of those who I know and who I have talked to about this are way past 21.

I am not that interested in what opposition politicians say, I have noticed that often bears little correlation with what they do when they get a chance. More interested in current reality and its consequences.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Seems like the 21's will go for skinny policies, or stay on their Parents policies. Not that I care much, I and the majority of those who I know and who I have talked to about this are way past 21.

I am not that interested in what opposition politicians say, I have noticed that often bears little correlation with what they do when they get a chance. More interested in current reality and its consequences.
Tomorrow's consequences could possibly be worse than today's consequences.

The problem are the politicians that they let health care costs get totally out of control. We could continue doing the same thing over and over again and costs will only get worse until most employers drop coverage, very few will be able to afford health insurance, and people won't be treated unless they can pay.

There is no easy solution to the problem since the problem has been developing since the 1940s.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The 21 year olds seem to care just as much as you do. Staying on their parents policies isn't a big advantage anymore since ACA is available. That policy was implemented when insurance companies would drop 18 year olds because they had medical problems. Now it doesn't make much difference since the additional cost is through ACA or through the parents policy.

You are not required to purchase health insurance if the cost is greater than 8% of your income. If it is less than that and you don't purchase health insurance, the penalty is $95 per adult or 1% of your income whichever is greater in in 2014. In a sense by paying the penalty, you are buying catastrophic health insurance since the government will likely pay the bills if you have major health problems. Then possibly by next year, the prices will drop as insurance companies realized that they charged too much and are required to give refunds.
Attached Thumbnails Compulsory Photo ID for Voting-requirement_flowchart_3.png  

Last edited by Michael; Oct 7th 2013 at 2:52 am.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Tomorrow's consequences could possibly be worse than today's consequences.

The problem are the politicians that they let health care costs get totally out of control. We could continue doing the same thing over and over again and costs will only get worse until most employers drop coverage, very few will be able to afford health insurance, and people won't be treated unless they can pay.

There is no easy solution to the problem since the problem has been developing since the 1940s.
The cynical may think that is the plan. Anybody who can add up or has access to a calculator should be able to work out that this makes no sense.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The cynical may think that is the plan. Anybody who can add up or has access to a calculator should be able to work out that this makes no sense.
What do you mean? What doesn't make sense? If you are paying more than 8% of your income and you want to take a chance, there is no penalty but you could get hit with high medical bills. You'd be no worse off then you were last year without insurance.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 7th 2013 at 5:26 am.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:38 am
Account Closed

The whole system seems designed to fail.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's been failing for the last 60 years. Is your issue with the cost or what is your issue other than you don't like it at all? You complain about the cost and I try to help by pointing out that if you liked the old way of doing things, there may possibly be an option. Would you rather have it the way it was?

Switzerland has a very similar program where a family can pay up to about 10% of their income for health insurance but in Switzerland, they must carry health insurance even if it is 10% or more of their income.

I sometimes have a hard time understanding what you want other than you appear to want health care and not pay for it by increased taxes or by paying premiums.

If you have a better solution. please advise and see if you can get 51% of the country, the house, and 60 votes in the senate to go along with it. I think I have a better plan but I couldn't get the 51%, the house, and 60 votes in the senate.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 7th 2013 at 4:02 am.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But it's in better shape than it was, when it was designed not to allow sick people to even play.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just to elaborate, if it was my plan, I'd go to a single payer system, forbid employers from providing health insurance, everybody gets health insurance equivalent to Medicare coverage (100% hospital coverage and 80% outpatient coverage except the poor which get 100% Medicaid coverage), limits would be placed on end of life treatments unless the person pays extra for that coverage through private insurance, the government would use it's bargaining power to drive costs down, and taxes on corporations and individuals would be increased to pay for the coverage.

If all of that was put in place, health care costs as a percentage of gdp would likely fall below the health care costs as a percentage of gdp of Switzerland within a year.

However maybe only 20% of congress would vote for such a proposal. Actually part of my plan would satisfy conservatives since it reduces the burden on corporations of providing health insurance since they believe that corporations are carrying too large of a burden. If corporations didn't provide health insurance, either pay would rise so increased taxes on individuals wouldn't hurt that much or corporations would pay increased taxes but they would have savings by not providing health coverage.

So what is your plan?

Last edited by Michael; Oct 7th 2013 at 4:26 am.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are flaws in the system. Initially it appears that a healthy individual or family may possibly be able to find health insurance on the open market cheaper than through the exchanges and much like "Medicare Advantage", some insurance companies took advantage of the government by covering Medicare recipients with a 14% subsidy but when the patient got sick, there was fine print in the policy that specific procedures were not covered so many sick patients returned to traditional Medicare during the next open enrollment. By doing this, the insurance companies kept the healthy patients making big profits and the government got the sick patients with added expenses.

Similar things could have occurred under ACA where companies will keep open market rates low until someone in the family gets sick and then raise the rates forcing that family to the exchanges. The exchanges would then have a higher percentage of sick patients than open market insurance making the exchange rates higher than they should be and insurance company profits high.

That sounds like a major flaw in ACA but because of what insurance companies did with "Medicare Advantage", congress wrote into ACA that the insurance company payout must be equal or greater than 80% of the premiums collected for open market insurance, the exchanges, and "Medicare Advantage". Now it is not as tempting for insurance companies to dump sick patients back on the government or the exchanges.

However I am a believer that insurance companies won't give up that easily and will hire a team of lawyers to look for loopholes in ACA to see if there are some tricky accounting practices that they can use to reduce the payout percentage and increase profits. But that is what the free market system is about when there is no real competition in the health care industry. In any other industry, if a company doesn't provide a cheaper and/or better product than other companies, they go under but in the health care industry, it is all about fine print that no one can understand until someone gets sick and then policies are cancelled or rates are raised.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 7th 2013 at 6:22 am.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 12:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I presume that you don't have an individual insurance policy. ....
Not at the moment, but I have had in the past
.... Well, I do. You may find it amusing, but you guys have no idea what kind of premiums that people like me have to pay, or how much they keep rising, or how little coverage that we get. ....
You have (had) several options, apart from bellyaching about the choice you made. (Get a job with health insurance, take a high deductible plan, leave the country....).
... Individual plans generally cost a lot more than large employer group plans. The premiums are higher, plus there is less coverage.
So? Get a job with health coverage.
.... This is going to save me money. The Silver plan is fairly comparable to what I have now, and that's 30% less from the same carrier that I have now. The Gold plan is far better than what I have now, and it's 20% less.
Sounds like it works for you. I was thinking about those currently uninsured, not the poorest, who'll get coverage free, or close to it, but those who are going to find paying the premiums challenging, and then find the cost of copays and deductibles impossible to meet. (That was the group that I was referring to in my previous post, sorry I didn't specify that, which meant it looked like I was talking more generally.)
.... It also allows me to shop for carriers and always have access to a policy. Without ACA, I would be stuck with my current carrier forever, since no other insurer would choose to sell me insurance if they could avoid it. .....
I have no idea what that means. Are you a bad risk?
.... It's not particularly cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than what those who had individual policies have been paying. People like me have been carrying those who have large group plans -- in effect, I've been subsidizing large corporations so that I can make insurance cheaper ....
Well now my taxes are going to start subsidize your health insurance, so I guess that makes it fair then.
.... for those who think that I don't deserve to have insurance.
That's just silly, argumentative, or you have a major chip on your shoulder. .... Any of which would explain your usual belligerent and hate-filled posts!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 7th 2013 at 12:40 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

There are flaws in the system. Initially it appears that a healthy individual or family may possibly be able to find health insurance on the open market cheaper than through the exchanges and much like "Medicare Advantage", some insurance companies took advantage of the government by covering Medicare recipients with a 14% subsidy but when the patient got sick, there was fine print in the policy that specific procedures were not covered so many sick patients returned to traditional Medicare during the next open enrollment. By doing this, the insurance companies kept the healthy patients making big profits and the government got the sick patients with added expenses.

Similar things could have occurred under ACA where companies will keep open market rates low until someone in the family gets sick and then raise the rates forcing that family to the exchanges. The exchanges would then have a higher percentage of sick patients than open market insurance making the exchange rates higher than they should be and insurance company profits high.

That sounds like a major flaw in ACA but because of what insurance companies did with "Medicare Advantage", congress wrote into ACA that the insurance company payout must be equal or greater than 80% of the premiums collected for open market insurance, the exchanges, and "Medicare Advantage". Now it is not as tempting for insurance companies to dump sick patients back on the government or the exchanges.

However I am a believer that insurance companies won't give up that easily and will hire a team of lawyers to look for loopholes in ACA to see if there are some tricky accounting practices that they can use to reduce the payout percentage and increase profits. But that is what the free market system is about when there is no real competition in the health care industry. In any other industry, if a company doesn't provide a cheaper and/or better product than other companies, they go under but in the health care industry, it is all about fine print that no one can understand until someone gets sick and then policies are cancelled or rates are raised.
You are talking about a bill which Pelosi famously commented that you vote for first, read later.

I have only skimmed the surface, having been in the Insurance Industry for 30 years and having some knowledge of how regulators work I can only start to imagine the loop holes, intended and unintended consequences, that will arise. Well quite a few have.

I am reasonably computer literate, mathematics was always my good subject, yet looking at this on Saturday morning made my head hurt!

I did meet a lady at a local Chamber of Commerce meeting recently who is one of the local sources for information. I really do not see how you can function in this role without an actuarial background. Which she clearly did not.

I just tried to log back in, now does not recognise my account again! This is really an aside, I dare say eventually they will resolve the IT aspect.

It is a boondoggle, probably the Germans have a better word for it.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So? Get a job with health coverage.
Cool, we can scrap the ACA now you've thought of that solution.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well now my taxes are going to start subsidize your health insurance, so I guess that makes it fair then.
I'm happy that some of my taxes are going to go to subsidize the insurance of those who can't otherwise afford it, just as I was happy when I lived in the UK that some of my taxes were paying for others higher use of the NHS. And I can think of many things I'm less happy my tax dollars are going for.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 7th 2013 at 4:40 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is a boondoggle, probably the Germans have a better word for it.
If ACA is a boondoggle, then you must be paying a compliment because the Medicare Reform Act of 2003 would have to be described as a super totally incompetent outrageous boondoggle.

The CBO projected that ACA would cost $1.2 trillion over the first 10 years but primarily covered by increased revenues and reimbursement pressure on providers and and would produce a surplus during the 2nd 10 years. The same CBO projected that the Medicare Reform Act of 2003 would also cost $1.2 trillion over the first 10 years and $2.7 trillion during the 2nd 10 years adding $3.9 trillion to the national debt over 20 years.

Where was the outrage when the republicans passed Medicare Reform that had very little benefit to Medicare recipients and was bankrupting the country? If the republicans wanted to increase the national debt by $3.9 trillion over 20 years to accomplish literally nothing, they could have instead passed an affordable health care act that truly was affordable to the 50 million uninsured.

You are probably saying that the CBO is just playing with numbers and they don't reflect reality and the surplus during the 2nd 10 years of ACA won't actually occur. Partially you are correct because much of the surplus is created by killing one of the main provisions (Medicare Advantage) of Medicare Reform and that is a harder beast to kill then originally projected. The CBO made it's projections based on flawed data provided by the insurance companies. The CBO stated that since insurance companies claimed they needed a 14% government subsidy to offer a $0 premium for Medicare Advantage to compete with traditional Medicare, it assumed that by initially reducing that subsidy to 9%, insurance companies would need to charge seniors an additional $80 per month to offer a plan equivalent to traditional Medicare and therefore enrollment in Medicare Advantage would stabilize by 2014. What the CBO didn't take into consideration was that ACA kicked the inefficient plans out of Medicare Advantage leaving only the efficient plans and miraculously the efficient plans didn't need a 14% subsidy to offer $0 plans but could profit well with a 9% subsidy. So the government is saving 5% but unfortunately enrollment in Medicare Advantage plans is still increasing. The subsidy will continue to decrease eventually to 0% and even if Medicare Advantage enrollment continues to increase, the savings will be real since Medicare Advantage will be providing the same care as traditional Medicare costing the government nothing more than traditional Medicare but the projections will be slightly wrong since government subsidies will be for more enrollees for a longer time than projected.

In one sense the savings aren't real since ACA is only killing a very bad program developed by the republicans.

Unfortunately ACA didn't touch the other main provision (Prescription Drug Benefit) of Medicare Reform where the government provides a 75% subsidy but the Part D plans primarily only provides drugs at a cost that most people can get at prescription drug discount web sites and the insurance companies are pocketing most of the premiums.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm happy that some of my taxes are going to go to subsidize the insurance of those who can't otherwise afford it. And I can think of many things I'm less happy my tax dollars are going for.
In CO as that is the own site I am familiar with, it has nothing to do with whether you can afford it, which I guess is going to be subjective anyway, solely down to your estimated 2014 income.

The of course there is the cross subsidies within the system, the so called need to sign up younger people so their contributions subsidise the cost of those older.

Probably the biggest single cost is waste. Operating costs, overpaying for drugs treatment etc etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.