Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Compulsory Photo ID for Voting

Compulsory Photo ID for Voting

Old Oct 4th 2013, 11:07 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compulsory Photo ID for Voting

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well that's a circular argument if there ever was one, because at the moment there are no reliable records because ID is not required, so we don't know who voted and using whose voting registration?

Perhaps the answer is to beef up security around mail-in votes, and require each in-person voter to have one digit stained (one specific digit, doesn't matter which so long as it's consistent for everyone) with indelible ink, as is used in some other countries, so that at least we could be reasonably sure it is only possible to vote once.
That first para is very strange. The voter's rolls exist, names are checked against the lists. ID cards are not a factor. The lists have been checked exhaustively by proponents of the ID Card for evidence of falsity, dead people registering etc. and a negligible amount found.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
It also helps to remember that obstructions to voting were a central part of Jim Crow legislation. In this country, voting restrictions have a nasty legacy of racism attached to them.

And it's no coincidence that it's the red states that are most eager to have ID requirements -- they don't want certain kinds of people to vote. Some things never change.
Worth reminding people what all these red states did the second the SCOTUS overturned parts of the VRA...
Old Oct 4th 2013, 11:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
That first para is very strange. The voter's rolls exist, names are checked against the lists. ID cards are not a factor. .....
Yes, they are! ... Without an ID check at the point the vote is cast there is nothing to stop me giving my neighbor's name and taking his vote, or visiting each polling station in the area and voting a genuine properly registered name at each location, just not my name. And because there is no control to stop that happening nobody has any data to prove it isn't. As I said earlier, a finger dipped in indelible stain/ink would largely solve the problem with rather less controversy, I presume.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 12:13 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are! ... Without an ID check at the point the vote is cast there is nothing to stop me giving my neighbor's name and taking his vote, or visiting each polling station in the area and voting a genuine properly registered name at each location, just not my name.
There's nothing to stop you from driving a semi truck through your neighbor's house, but you probably haven't done that, either.

Voter fraud is generally futile because each individual vote counts for very little. It takes a lot of fraud to change the outcome with an election, and it just isn't that easy.

Studies show that voter fraud is minimal and not significant enough to put someone other than the preferred candidate into office. The much greater problem comes from using bogus voting restrictions to disenfranchise substantial numbers of legitimate voters just because they would most likely vote for Democrats if permitted to cast their ballots.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 12:56 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are! ... Without an ID check at the point the vote is cast there is nothing to stop me giving my neighbor's name and taking his vote, or visiting each polling station in the area and voting a genuine properly registered name at each location, just not my name. And because there is no control to stop that happening nobody has any data to prove it isn't. As I said earlier, a finger dipped in indelible stain/ink would largely solve the problem with rather less controversy, I presume.
If there were proper ID checks, we the people would have to take responsibility for the officials we elect. As it stands, our hands are clean.

By we, I mean you, as I am still an alien
Old Oct 5th 2013, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be so opposed to it if republicans spent as much time trying to solve a real problem as they do trying to solve an imagined problem. 50 million people are without health insurance with total health care costing the US economy 16% of gdp and their only solution is a free market system which is what caused the problem in the first place.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 1:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
If there were proper ID checks, we the people would have to take responsibility for the officials we elect. As it stands, our hands are clean.

By we, I mean you, as I am still an alien
Me too.

But that sounds horribly radical.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Michael
I wouldn't be so opposed to it if republicans spent as much time trying to solve a real problem as they do trying to solve an imagined problem. 50 million people are without health insurance with total health care costing the US economy 16% of gdp and their only solution is a free market system which is what caused the problem in the first place.
More than 16%

Not sure your description of the Repubs is correct, but it does not really matter.

So how would you describe Obamacare?
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:06 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You have a lot of company. But clearly you are among the people who are not an American as defined by Cruz and Boner, who know so well that real Americans don't want Obamacare.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I am personally benefiting from the new law.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:07 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

A step in the right direction.

But I thought from the subject line that this was a thread about voter ID?

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Boiler
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:08 am
Account Closed

I like free stuff, lots of Americans do as well.

A lot of those are just finding out they were sold a pup.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:11 am

So, you've been practicing forging his signature have you? Be sure to get to the polling place before he does, or he will already have signed the book.

Regards, JEff
Without an ID check at the point the vote is cast there is nothing to stop me giving my neighbor's name and taking his vote, ...
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:14 am
Account Closed

True

A comparison between something easy to do vs something difficult and the double standards involved.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
More than 16%

Not sure your description of the Repubs is correct, but it does not really matter.

Obamacare is not the solution but a compromise to get the country moving in a direction that could possibly solve the problem in the future. Even trying to get a "single payer" system was not possible and that would have likely reduced premiums by 15%-20% and/or made the Silver Plan the lowest tier at the cost of the Bronze Plan.

Even within the democratic party, there are currently powerful lobbies that can defeat any real reform. For example, Evan Bayh's wife was on the board of directors for a health insurance company collecting over $1 million per year so no way could Evan vote for a single payer system. Prior to getting that job (work a couple days every three months), she was a junior lawyer.

There is a lot more to do to get the costs down but just sitting on your hands thinking that the US has the perfect system except the only thing wrong is it needs less regulation, less lawsuits, and people need to pay more for their health care is not the solution. It is strange that the republicans claim to be frugal and won't allocate $100 billion for infrastructure projects but see nothing wrong with nearly $2.5 trillion per year going for health care costs. The only thing they seem to care about is who is going to pay the bill, the government or you (which is the same thing except the rich can afford it and the average person can't) and have no ideas on how to reduce the costs.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 5th 2013 at 3:13 am.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

There seem to be some gaping holes in your logic here ... for your theory to hold true, not one of those neighbors, or randomly selected names, would themselves have to show up to vote; if any one of them did, then a problem would be found and an investigation held - which would trigger a 'problem' statistic. In other words ... if you voted using your neighbors name, and your neighbor shows up to vote, an 'alarm' would be raised.

I used to think there was no reason NOT to have photo ID, but others on here have convinced me that there are poor, old people who no longer drive who also no longer bother to renew their drivers licenses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.