Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British vs. American spelling

British vs. American spelling

Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British vs. American spelling

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Unusually restrained of you.
I'm going through a couth phase.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Shagging flies was a new one to me just last year, and how Americans think that "fanny pack" is less pejorative than "bum bag" beats me
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

That's the one, she's either an arse or a.........come to think of it, that can't be your aunt fanny

They are unaware of "front bottom" and "back bottom".
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

They are unaware of "front bottom" and "back bottom".

That would make some activities, er, interesting.

<got sick of being couth>
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going through a couth phase.

Is there such a thing as couth? Or is it one of those qualities noted only by its absence? For example, is it ever said of anyone that "he has a lot of gorm"?
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:28 pm

That would make some activities, er, interesting.

<got sick of being couth>

You would need a map of some sort. Or at least a clear diagram.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Is there such a thing as couth? Or is it one of those qualities noted only by its absence? For example, is it ever said of anyone that "he has a lot of gorm"?
A most excellent question that has caused me to think and crack up at the same time
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:30 pm
Concierge

You would need a map of some sort. Or at least a clear diagram.
You've missed your calling Lion, you really have
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:31 pm

You've missed your calling Lion, you really have
I did philosophy at uni. It totally prepared me for this sort of conversation.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:34 pm
Concierge

I did philosophy at uni. It totally prepared me for this sort of conversation.
Well you're damn good at it! I'm always appreciative when people give me great big belly laughs
Old Feb 12th 2021, 3:02 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Sorry, late to the party. Here's a recent observation: bonkers ! That was never said in the US back in the day, now even Anderson Cooper is bonkers this, bonkers that. Quite bonkers really. Of course I don't think the verbal form has crossed the Atlantic yet.
I wonder if Dizzy Rascal had anything to do with that. Music is often a way for language to spread.
https://youtu.be/ISy0Hl0SBfg

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 12th 2021 at 3:04 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do, don't tell the guy who looks after the phone system what "bollocks" are. That was the name in my phone display for about three months after I started work here!
Old Feb 12th 2021, 3:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Similar annoyance - "First come, first serve". What? If I get there early I have to work as a waiter?
And what about “baked goods” vs “bake goods.”
First, I don’t know why cakes and cookies would be described as “goods.”
As for “bake goods,” I usually see that, around here, on Amish farm stands, and English is not their first language. So I’m not sure, but it does sound analogous to the “first come, first serve” thing.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 3:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

‘Neither’ and ‘either’.

Me either instead of me neither. Arghhhhh and don’t even get me started on the word ‘gotten’.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
And what about “baked goods” vs “bake goods.”
First, I don’t know why cakes and cookies would be described as “goods.”
As for “bake goods,” I usually see that, around here, on Amish farm stands, and English is not their first language. So I’m not sure, but it does sound analogous to the “first come, first serve” thing.

I think it's just the end sounds of the words are getting swallowed, so usage and spelling are following a phonetic accident.

God help them in Cuba and Puerto Rico if that's how it works - they barely pronounce anything.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
‘Neither’ and ‘either’.

Me either instead of me neither. Arghhhhh and don’t even get me started on the word ‘gotten’.

I seem to remember reading that the "en" endings are actually an English usage that has died out in England.

However, there is no excuse at all for "I could care less".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.