Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British vs. American spelling

British vs. American spelling

Old Feb 11th 2021, 3:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British vs. American spelling

Sorry, late to the party. Here's a recent observation: bonkers ! That was never said in the US back in the day, now even Anderson Cooper is bonkers this, bonkers that. Quite bonkers really. Of course I don't think the verbal form has crossed the Atlantic yet.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Sorry, late to the party. Here's a recent observation: bonkers ! That was never said in the US back in the day, now even Anderson Cooper is bonkers this, bonkers that. Quite bonkers really. Of course I don't think the verbal form has crossed the Atlantic yet.
Hmm, I’ve never thought of the term as particularly British. But according to this article in The Atlantic, the word crossed into American English decades ago.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked for Bing and Grondahl Copenhagen Porcelain, Inc. in their NY office, our President and the CFO were from Denmark, our VP was from England. Over the years working there, I started using terms such as bullocks, bloody, etc. I picked up from David. Still use them today.

It is not only the spelling which is different, i.e. US = controlling and UK controling but the use of words. While the US would say "he was or is sitting in the dining room", a Brit would say "he was or is sat in the dining room".
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Hmm, I’ve never thought of the term as particularly British. But according to this article in The Atlantic, the word crossed into American English decades ago.
That piece in The Atlantic was good. So bonkers seems to have arisen in British English in the 40s, and adopted in American English as early as 1965.

Here’s an interesting piece from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19929249

I think it raises an interesting general point; how accurate are our own perceptions of whether a usage is British or American? One example;

Flat, n. An apartment on one floor of a building. "Just as British people are increasingly calling (particularly posh) flats 'apartments', my American friends report that property developers are now selling 'flats' in order to make them sound grander than they are." Beth, London
“Apartment” has a very old British usage. I’m pretty sure you’ll find it in Jane Austen, for instance. And, AFAIK, “flat” has always been used in America. For instance, in New York, the expression “cold water flat,” meaning a low-class apartment that doesn’t have hot water supply, is ancient.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:21 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
That piece in The Atlantic was good. So bonkers seems to have arisen in British English in the 40s, and adopted in American English as early as 1965.

Here’s an interesting piece from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19929249

Interesting that the article cites "gobsmacked," as reading the last few entries in this thread I was thinking that was something that I never heard when I was first in the US -- and lo and behold, there is a comment that completely reflects my experience with the word!
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:36 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

There are differences in usage which can cause confusion too, for example "to table a motion" has completely opposite meanings on each side of the pond.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I've mentioned this before, but it continues to drive me -- well, bonkers! US commentators always say, "The proof is in the pudding," as if something is hiding amongst the plums, causing me to scream, "No, it isn't! It's in the eating!!!"
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone mentioned 'fanny' yet?
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I've mentioned this before, but it continues to drive me -- well, bonkers! US commentators always say, "The proof is in the pudding," as if something is hiding amongst the plums, causing me to scream, "No, it isn't! It's in the eating!!!"

Similar annoyance - "First come, first serve". What? If I get there early I have to work as a waiter?
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

No, but I'm sure they will soon.

Also, "shagging flies".
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Would that be my aunt fanny?
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

Also, "shagging flies".
I started to go there, then thought better not

Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
No, but I'm sure they will soon.

Also, "shagging flies".
Shagging flies was a new one to me just last year, and how Americans think that "fanny pack" is less pejorative than "bum bag" beats me
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:24 pm

I started to go there, then thought better not

Unusually restrained of you.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Would that be my aunt fanny?

That's the one, she's either an arse or a.........come to think of it, that can't be your aunt fanny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.