Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British Born Baby, brought into the states

Wikiposts

British Born Baby, brought into the states

Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Born Baby, brought into the states

Originally Posted by Tracym
Hmm. OK, fair enough.

So it'd be ok with you then, if everyone that could get over there, from whatever country, traveled to the UK and used the NHS for free?

And I would personally consider it free to them, if they had never paid taxes to fund it.
There's always a middle ground. She's British -- so why the hell not!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
She is entitled to emergency care.
it's not like she went home and got hit by a bus though is it.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

She is entitled to emergency treatment courtest of the NHS.
True, I realize that. But you can't really fly at the last minute - and it isn't an emergency, it's planned.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There's always a middle ground. She's British -- so why the hell not!
Well, the NHS rules say not. Myself - I think our posts crossed, personally I think if she's paid in for years, why not as well I suppose.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
it's not like she went home and got hit by a bus though is it.
No but if she was visiting and went into labour it would be classed as an emergency.

To the OP your child would be a Brit no matter where it's born.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

True, I realize that. But you can't really fly at the last minute - and it isn't an emergency, it's planned.

She could be in the UK on an extended vacation. I stayed there for several months when my FIL was ill.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

No but if she was visiting and went into labour it would be classed as an emergency.

To the OP your child would be a Brit no matter where it's born.
True, but AFAIK the child will be able to pass on her British nationality to his/her children only if born in the UK.

Thinking ahead...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

She could be in the UK on an extended vacation. I stayed there for several months when my FIL was ill.
Yes, but in that case, if one has been away for more than three months and does not intend permanent residency, one is not entitled to non-emergency care on the NHS.

I am not saying if that should or shouldn't be so, but that is the rule.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
True, but AFAIK the child will be able to pass on her British nationality to his/her children only if born in the UK.

Thinking ahead...
Good point.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, but in that case, if one has been away for more than three months and does not intend permanent residency, one is not entitled to non-emergency care on the NHS.

I am not saying if that should or shouldn't be so, but that is the rule.
Yes they are...you would be...any visitor to the UK is entitled to free emergency healthcare.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes they are...you would be...any visitor to the UK is entitled to free emergency healthcare.
Right, everyone gets emergency care.

I said not entitled to NON-emergency care.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Right, everyone gets emergency care.

I said not entitled to NON-emergency care.
So if she's visiting and goes into labour that would be an emergency
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So if she's visiting and goes into labour that would be an emergency
What about the pre-natal care though?

Can't ignore the condition from arrival until delivery right?

(no pregnancy expert, I don't know how late you can fly - but not the day before certainly)
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

What about the pre-natal care though?

Can't ignore the condition from arrival until delivery right?

(no pregnancy expert, I don't know how late you can fly - but not the day before certainly)
If she went to the doctors/hospital and said she was having problems he would examine and take care of her. She could give symptoms of high blood pressure for instance.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If she went to the doctors/hospital and said she was having problems he would examine and take care of her. She could give symptoms of high blood pressure for instance.
I suppose one can pull it off - though as far as I know, you're supposed to have regular check-ups, not just if problems.

To make up symptoms though...

I still think it is against the rules though (rightly or wrongly).
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leedsbird
I am a British citizen with a permanent residency for the states. My husband is a usc.

We are planning to go to England to have our baby, so that i can be with my family. technically the baby will be a British citizen.
Are you planning to spend at least 3-4 months away from the U.S.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.