Bonfire night...

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bonfire night...

This is the time of year I get really homesick, Bonfire night was always one of the best times back home

We would make hotpot with the crust for Dinner with pickled red cabbage Yum! Then we would get together with friends/neighbors and have a good old bonfire, foil wrapped spuds in the bottom of the fire, treacle toffee and parkin everywhere

The kids would have made Guy Fawkes for the top of the fire and later on there would be fireworks, huge rockets stood in milk bottles, or stuck in the ground and those spinning wheels nailed to a wood post, always left the scorch mark from the year before

Then when you woke up the next morning, that lovely smell from all the used fireworks and burnt wood...loved it and I do miss it.

What are your memories from Bonfire night?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:40 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bonfire night...

All of the above
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:34 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
All of the above
Same here.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:20 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we had a holiday involving bonfires.

I mean, besides the traditional Halloween riot/party/inferno in Detroit, which I think has kind of been toned down now anyway.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh I really miss Bonfire night too. Our town always put on a huge bonfire and firework display - it was always a great way to meet up with the 'locals'. Good times
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishtart
This is the time of year I get really homesick, Bonfire night was always one of the best times back home

We would make hotpot with the crust for Dinner with pickled red cabbage Yum! Then we would get together with friends/neighbors and have a good old bonfire, foil wrapped spuds in the bottom of the fire, treacle toffee and parkin everywhere

The kids would have made Guy Fawkes for the top of the fire and later on there would be fireworks, huge rockets stood in milk bottles, or stuck in the ground and those spinning wheels nailed to a wood post, always left the scorch mark from the year before

Then when you woke up the next morning, that lovely smell from all the used fireworks and burnt wood...loved it and I do miss it.

What are your memories from Bonfire night?
I love it too, not only because i love to go to the local and have many drinks..see fireworks and eat loads of pies...but because i get loads of presents too.

I popped out on 5th Nov.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be, (when I was a kid) all the neighborhood kids would go around collecting wood for months in advance of Bonfire night, we would always have our own at the bottom of the garden, (don't think many do these days, most are organised)

Also remember, when I was really young, we would take the tops of the large 'prams' and stick a guy fawkes on the top of it, then we would push it to a street corner and do the 'penny for the guy' thing I think we called these home made transporters 'trashers'? Of course, after bonfire night all the kids would take turns at being pushed at high speed up and down the streets! Great fun!...memories
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I love it too, not only because i love to go to the local and have many drinks..see fireworks and eat loads of pies...but because i get loads of presents too.

I popped out on 5th Nov.
Cool...I'm sure there will be a B'day thread, but Happy Birthday sweety, for Thursday
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Cool...I'm sure there will be a B'day thread, but Happy Birthday sweety, for Thursday
Aww thanks..toffee apples on me
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be, (when I was a kid) all the neighborhood kids would go around collecting wood for months in advance of Bonfire night, we would always have our own at the bottom of the garden, (don't think many do these days, most are organised)

Also remember, when I was really young, we would take the tops of the large 'prams' and stick a guy fawkes on the top of it, then we would push it to a street corner and do the 'penny for the guy' thing I think we called these home made transporters 'trashers'? Of course, after bonfire night all the kids would take turns at being pushed at high speed up and down the streets! Great fun!...memories
Oh gosh I forgot about 'penny for the guy'!! We used to dress my brother up and do that.. some very funny times I'm not sure that still happens, does it?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a lovely custom in the UK in regards to Guy Fawkes day. I'm sorry that we don't have something similar here in the States to offer you but perhaps if there are several Brits in your area, you can arrange to have a get together at one of the parks that allow bbq's and have a mini bonfire night without the fireworks.

Why don't you try to start such an annual party where you live.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:12 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sambapink
Oh gosh I forgot about 'penny for the guy'!! We used to dress my brother up and do that.. some very funny times I'm not sure that still happens, does it?
Sadly the chavies have nicked it, and just ask people for money while they drag around a plastic bin liner with felt tip on it.

@ Rete, it would be nice to have something like that, we'd have to have it over the border in Wisconsin though as the firework laws are really lapse there.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I remember just getting really cold standing around in the park, but loving the fireworks.

Uni used to do a great show which I miss.

Anyone in RI, there's an old family mansion that has done Guy Fawkes Night fireworks in the past, family is English.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:50 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I love it too, standing out around the fire all wrapped up and you can see your breath.

Can't even buy fireworks here otherwise I would have a little party

I even changed my avatar in honour.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
Sounds like you have a lovely custom in the UK in regards to Guy Fawkes day. I'm sorry that we don't have something similar here in the States to offer you but perhaps if there are several Brits in your area, you can arrange to have a get together at one of the parks that allow bbq's and have a mini bonfire night without the fireworks.

Why don't you try to start such an annual party where you live.

It's just my 'annual' whinge on missing the 5th November back home, I will be over it by Friday (till next year!)

No Fireworks allowed here either and with my friendly neighbors, they would probably want me dressed as the guy, sitting atop the bonfire!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.