Bonfire night...

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonfire night...

Mmmmm Home made treacle toffee.
We have a large brush pile in the garden that needs burning, maybe we should do that on the 5th and do the spuds in foil for dinner.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:01 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Apple frittas and spuds done at the side of teh fire.....
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

I was explaining to some Americans at work about Bonfire Night. It's not until you actually stop and think what we are doing, basically burning an effigy of some bloke from over 400 years ago, that you realise how ridiculous it sounds.

I love it though and the guys at work were saying they wished they did it here cause it sounds great.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by orangemirror
I was explaining to some Americans at work about Bonfire Night. It's not until you actually stop and think what we are doing, basically burning an effigy of some bloke from over 400 years ago, that you realise how ridiculous it sounds.

I love it though and the guys at work were saying they wished they did it here cause it sounds great.
I suppose USA can only celebrate bonfire night if someone tries to burn down the White house.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:50 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I suppose USA can only celebrate bonfire night if someone tries to burn down the White house.
Well, you English burned it down in 1814. Does that count?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:51 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror

I had the same problem explaining it to my daughter, she's only 8 and grew up in America and she just turned round to me and said..."so you all celebrate burning a person alive on top of a fire?, thats just not right momma"..not a lot I could say to that one really..

but she'll see just how much fun it can be we have an organised fire up at the big park with a massive fireworks display and treacle toffee, parkin cake and hot apple cider and of course sparklers..I believe there are even putting up a little fun fair for the kids.., I think I'm going to enjoy it more then the kids..
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Did we?? well there you go then, you can celebrate afterall. Get the effergies out.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
but she'll see just how much fun it can be we have an organised fire up at the big park with a massive fireworks display and treacle toffee, parkin cake and hot apple cider and of course sparklers..I believe there are even putting up a little fun fair for the kids.., I think I'm going to enjoy it more then the kids..
That sounds like so much fun, I can just smell the parkin, with that sticky top that always ends up stuck to your fingers...yummy!

I can just see you, spelling out your name with a sparkler!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but only because the US forces pillaged and burned down York, the capital of Upper Canada. Perfectly justifiable retaliation..
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:33 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yeah but only because the US forces pillaged and burned down York, the capital of Upper Canada. Perfectly justifiable retaliation..
"Pillage" is such an ugly word... Can we say they "Borrowed things and forgot to put them back when they were finished" instead?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

"Pillage" is such an ugly word... Can we say they "Borrowed things and forgot to put them back when they were finished" instead?
If we do that, the missus will be on me for pillaging her good scissors.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Apple frittas and spuds done at the side of teh fire.....
Bonfire spuds are the best tasting spuds!!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:44 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
That sounds like so much fun, I can just smell the parkin, with that sticky top that always ends up stuck to your fingers...yummy!

I can just see you, spelling out your name with a sparkler!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky

Can't even buy fireworks here otherwise I would have a little party
Can't in Mass either, or Maine, but everyone just swings over to New Hampshire and buys them and tries to avoid cops as they go over the border
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

this time of year i love parkin, always have, my gran made it when were kids. This years no different, i made one today and its very nice (i had some golden syrup and treacle in the cupboard), will be better after a few days in a tin if i can wait that long.

also miss the incredibly simple pleasure of black peas in vinegar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.