Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Bit of fun - 29 things the UK does that the US don't

Bit of fun - 29 things the UK does that the US don't

Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of fun - 29 things the UK does that the US don't

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
True. Anyway, the good part of the explanation was the observation that "A similar thing is noticeable today with Fox news watchers."

Regards, JEff
Those were actually who I was referencing
Old Dec 12th 2013, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Both, really.

I can arbitrarily assign a start/end point to the Earth's orbit at any time during the year. Dec 31/Jan 1 holds little signifigance for me beyond the fact that my wife usually buys a jumbo packet of shrimp to stuff our faces with as we watch the TV
Yeah, New Year's Eve on TV sucks ass. Just how much mileage can you get from a picture of a crowd freezing to death outside in winter waiting for an arbitrary moment on the clock. These days I've often nodded off by the time it occurs!
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:08 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Yeah, New Year's Eve on TV sucks ass. Just how much mileage can you get from a picture of a crowd freezing to death outside in winter waiting for an arbitrary moment on the clock. These days I've often nodded off by the time it occurs!
We're usually watching something else anyway, nine times out of ten there's a marathon of some show or other that we like on somewhere.

That being said, we do get a day off out of it.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I miss flicking through the UK channels on tv and seeing how out of sync they are with each other as they countdown to midnight. Jools Holland's programme was always a good 30 seconds late, and it wasn't even live! They could have at least queued it up at the right time.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your loss. You probably had time to refill your glass and get in multiple chugs of champaigne as you moved from channel to channel.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Anian
I miss flicking through the UK channels on tv and seeing how out of sync they are with each other as they countdown to midnight. Jools Holland's programme was always a good 30 seconds late, and it wasn't even live! They could have at least queued it up at the right time.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Just as silly - probably - is the annual Guy Fawkes night celebration in Lewes, Sussex. Has anybody else here ever been to it? An amazingly pleasant waste of a few hours, watching placards advocating "Kill the Pope!" and similar scurrilous religious bigotry - all in good fun, believe it or not. Half the marchers are Catholics themselves, I shouldn't wonder. In the USA a march with such a theme would be broken up with violence. Well, in Belfast, too, to be fair.

The point is, that there are times in England when the religious crap just isn't taken seriously.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:31 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Just as silly - probably - is the annual Guy Fawkes night celebration in Lewes, Sussex. Has anybody else here ever been to it? An amazingly pleasant waste of a few hours, watching placards advocating "Kill the Pope!" and similar scurrilous religious bigotry - all in good fun, believe it or not. Half the marchers are Catholics themselves, I shouldn't wonder. In the USA a march with such a theme would be broken up with violence. Well, in Belfast, too, to be fair.

The point is, that there are times in England when the religious crap just isn't taken seriously.
I used to go when we lived that way and I used to time visits back to the UK to coincide with it when I could. I had a friend who lived on St Anne's Hill. His mother used to have a big party and we'd watch the parade from there and then head over to the Cliffe bonfire. Good times.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Another good thing about Britain is that it allows its colonies to keep the old values. I live in one of them, in the Caribbean, where we have miles, and pounds, and Imperial gallons for our petrol. Unfortunately we did switch to a Dollar for our currency, but you can't have everything!