Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Bit of fun - 29 things the UK does that the US don't

Bit of fun - 29 things the UK does that the US don't

Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of fun - 29 things the UK does that the US don't

Originally Posted by Nutek
If wasn't for places like Greggs, your wife would have less people to push and be out of a job.
Excellent comeback.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:11 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Six, but nobody really uses 50c and $1.00 coins that often. I see more $2.00 bills than either of them.
Touché! Didn't know about the 50c...don't think I've ever seen one, and more importantly, they don't come up in the kids homework

We get a lot of dollar coins....I always dump my change in a giant coke bottle and when it gets too heavy to lift, the kids count it and decide where they are going to donate it. I am always amazed at how many $1 coins there are in there, as I rarely realize I've got one.

We rarely see $2 bills apart from at Chinese New Year and then we have to go to the bank to get them, then they disappear down the black collectors hole that most of them seem to.

Interesting that the Treasury says that the sizes of coins differ to enable easy identification, but they don't see the same need on notes.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:21 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Touché! Didn't know about the 50c...don't think I've ever seen one, and more importantly, they don't come up in the kids homework

We get a lot of dollar coins....I always dump my change in a giant coke bottle and when it gets too heavy to lift, the kids count it and decide where they are going to donate it. I am always amazed at how many $1 coins there are in there, as I rarely realize I've got one.

We rarely see $2 bills apart from at Chinese New Year and then we have to go to the bank to get them, then they disappear down the black collectors hole that most of them seem to.

Interesting that the Treasury says that the sizes of coins differ to enable easy identification, but they don't see the same need on notes.
50c coins don't really pop up in circulation but banks carry them. I've only ever seen one, it was one my wife kept. Has JFK on it, if memory doesn't deal me a dog turd.

Usually $2.00 bills stay with is as well, along with the 1950 $20.00 bill we got in change one day which has become sort of an 'emergency' one.

They probably don't see the need on notes because the denominations are printed on them and now they're all slightly different colours as well. That being said, the coin sizes (like the UK coins) are deceptive, since the 1c and 5c coins are both bigger than the 10c.

I like that there are no regularly circulating $1.00 coins here though, with all the £1.00 and £2.00 coins back home, my pocket would be full to breaking point after a night out
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

I like that there are no regularly circulating $1.00 coins here though, with all the £1.00 and £2.00 coins back home, my pocket would be full to breaking point after a night out
That's my issue with all the coins. If I dropped my wallet on my foot, I'm sure it'd break at least one of my toes, from the weight of all the coins!
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:30 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
That's my issue with all the coins. If I dropped my wallet on my foot, I'm sure it'd break at least one of my toes, from the weight of all the coins!
I forgot myself and accidentally left my wife at a checkout in Tesco on her first visit, with a handful of change to count out. She never lets me forget about that

I do miss the heptagonal ones from time to time though, they were cool. I'm not so fussed on the new designs on the obverse though, I prefer the traditional designs. I'm not a fan of change (no pun intended.)
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:32 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Excellent comeback.
Except, er, she wouldn't be out of a job if there weren't fatties to push.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:33 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Except, er, she wouldn't be out of a job if there weren't fatties to push.

We're not opening this line up again!
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:45 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I think Greggs is lush cheap crap for the most part...
FIFY
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:47 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

We're not opening this line up again!
Have a Sausage roll.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:06 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Have a Sausage roll.
Smell my cheese!
Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:21 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

They forgot the 12th and Last Saturday of August for no 21!! How could they!
Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:28 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
They forgot the 12th and Last Saturday of August for no 21!! How could they!
Good point, well made
Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:35 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I must have been gone too long. Never heard of Greggs.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

All Greggs should be blown up. Why does everything have to be a chain nowadays?

30/ They actually have shops on the high street when you can walk in and place a bet on a sporting event
Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:43 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some parts of the UK that don't have Gregg's, Northern Ireland for example, I only discovered Gregg's wonderfulness when I was visiting my mother in St Helen's before I emigrated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.