Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

BHS and now Austin Reed collapse

Wikiposts

BHS and now Austin Reed collapse

Old Apr 28th 2016, 3:19 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BHS and now Austin Reed collapse

Originally Posted by mrken30
maybe there is a VR app for that
GTA
Old Apr 28th 2016, 3:47 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Bristol is no different, if that is any sort of comfort.
A lot of UK towns are that way. I guess we're all in it together.

I do like that they keep the facades of listed buildings to retain the historical look, though. At least Belfast does that anyway.

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
So we are no longer a nation of shopkeepers?
No, but at least we still know how to queue properly

maybe there is a VR app for that
Geograph has some pictures on there taken in the 80s and 90s that shows the town centre the way I remember it growing up, which is nice.

But yes, as Nutek said, GTA as well ...
Old Apr 28th 2016, 6:05 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

No, but at least we still know how to queue properly
Old Apr 28th 2016, 6:10 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Serves pink bear right. If he'd just stayed where he was, he'd have been served right after the one served next when the cashier on the right came back. Numpty.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 6:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby says that's exactly what I do.

Whereas he picks the longest queue and patiently stays there.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 6:52 am

Serves pink bear right. If he'd just stayed where he was, he'd have been served right after the one served next when the cashier on the right came back. Numpty.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I swear a lot and glare at people. Mrs. N. asks me if I would like to wait outside.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 6:54 am
I have a comma problem

I'll pick the one that looks like it will move the fastest based on queue length and what everyone has on the belt/in their cart, usually that method is pretty foolproof. I'll go to the farthest checkout away from the entrance quite often and I'm still done faster than people at registers I pass up.

I do pick a line and stick to it as a rule. I'll only move if something happens down the line like a till error, some kind of esoteric price check or the person at the till pulls out a ream of paper's worth of food stamps.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I'll pick the one that looks like it will move the fastest based on queue length and what everyone has on the belt/in their cart, usually that method is pretty foolproof. I'll go to the farthest checkout away from the entrance quite often and I'm still done faster than people at registers I pass up.

I do pick a line and stick to it as a rule. I'll only move if something happens down the line like a till error, some kind of esoteric price check or the person at the till pulls out a ream of paper's worth of food stamps.

I usually pick a line, stick with it and grumble about how I picked the wrong one.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 7:01 am

I feel bad for Pink Bear now. He's still having no luck at all.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 7:19 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
https://frinkiac.com/meme/S05E13/737...BDSElUQ0hBVC4=

I usually pick a line, stick with it and grumble about how I picked the wrong one.
Sometimes I'm left with no choice as well, if there are only a few registers open. Most of the time I'm either doing a big shop on the weekend, or I have to stop in for some stuff on the way home from work, neither of which are ideal times for short waits. I've found that being willing to move farther from the exit helps find a faster line about 75% of the time.

Originally Posted by Nutek
I feel bad for Pink Bear now. He's still having no luck at all.
Not me. **** pink bear - his problem is entirely self inflicted.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well at the end of the day, paying more for good service is a luxury for those with cash to burn.

In the US and Canada its more the middle class retailers struggling.

High end and low end seem to be doing okay.

Its the middle class retailers like Sears who no longer have much customer base. Too pricey for low income, too cheap and no good brands for the wealthy.

The middle class is dying a slow death.

Unfortunately there are more poor and poorer people wanting lower prices than there are rich/richer people wanting better services and goods.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I was a Saturday girl at BHS.
I was a Saturday girl at Woolworth. 7am - 6pm. I think I earned nearly a quid.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I was a Saturday girl at Woolworth. 7am - 6pm. I think I earned nearly a quid.
Same hours...same pay as me.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Same hours...same pay as me.
We were rich for the ride home on the bus.

I had to give mine to my Mum.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
We were rich for the ride home on the bus.

I had to give mine to my Mum.
I did Thursday evening, Friday evening and all day Saturday at Tesco. Hooray for late night shopping ( well after school from 5-7, that was LATE night in those days!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.