British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Baptising a baby in the US, struggling to find somewhere to do it. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/baptising-baby-us-struggling-find-somewhere-do-922786/)

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 1st 2019 11:32 am

Re: Baptising a baby in the US, struggling to find somewhere to do it.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12646249)
Get it done on your next trip to the UK. There's no time limit.

+1:thumbup:

Pollyana Mar 1st 2019 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12646249)
Get it done on your next trip to the UK. There's no time limit.

:goodpost:

RICH Mar 1st 2019 11:19 pm

Please do not perpetuate the myth that religion is important. Let the child form it's own opinion.

scot47 Mar 1st 2019 11:42 pm

The First Presbyterian insist that you attend Mass ? Something strange there !

Gordon Barlow Mar 2nd 2019 3:27 am

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 12646379)
If its just head whetting you are looking for I am sure this organization will oblige - the Pastafarians. I'm fairly sure you can even be ordained yourself:

https://www.venganza.org/

Yes, I'd be tempted by this one! But if you want to be with one of the mainstream religions, the good ol' wishy-washy C of E might be your best bet. My wife and I wanted to be married in a church, because churches do the solemnity thing well. And I rather fancied the idea of being married by banns instead of with a Licence. So we enquired at the C of E church in Toronto (this was 50 years ago, but the principle holds) and were told we had to attend services for three successive weeks. So we did that, and all went smoothly.

Baptisms I don't know about, because our child has never been "done" - unless he did it himself when he was with the hippies in Latin America.
*** The C of E is the Episcopalians in the US, I think.

Pollyana Mar 2nd 2019 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12646686)
Yes, I'd be tempted by this one! But if you want to be with one of the mainstream religions, the good ol' wishy-washy C of E might be your best bet. My wife and I wanted to be married in a church, because churches do the solemnity thing well. And I rather fancied the idea of being married by banns instead of with a Licence. So we enquired at the C of E church in Toronto (this was 50 years ago, but the principle holds) and were told we had to attend services for three successive weeks. So we did that, and all went smoothly.

Baptisms I don't know about, because our child has never been "done" - unless he did it himself when he was with the hippies in Latin America.The th
*** The C of E is the Episcopalians in the US, I think.

The reason for the three weeks is because C of E churches have to read the Banns of Marriage on the three Sundays prior to the marriage. Strictly speaking at least one of the couple should be in church to hear them so that they know they have been read. :)
(its amazing what nuggets stick in your brain from back in the Dark Ages, isn't it!!)

scot47 Mar 2nd 2019 7:13 am

In Scotland the established church is Church of Scotland (Presbyterian in Governance, Calvinist in Theology). Parish Minister will christen children - even if parents are non-religious.

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 2nd 2019 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12646751)
The reason for the three weeks is because C of E churches have to read the Banns of Marriage on the three Sundays prior to the marriage. Strictly speaking at least one of the couple should be in church to hear them so that they know they have been read. :)
(its amazing what nuggets stick in your brain from back in the Dark Ages, isn't it!!)

If I remember from our banns 44 years ago they were read 3 consecutive weeks at both the church we married in which was the parish i lived in and in the parish church where M lived. We were asked to hear them in both churches during those 3 weeks.

Pollyana Mar 2nd 2019 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12646945)
If I remember from our banns 44 years ago they were read 3 consecutive weeks at both the church we married in which was the parish i lived in and in the parish church where M lived. We were asked to hear them in both churches during those 3 weeks.

Yeah, that sounds right, as Dad used to read the Banns for people marrying elsewhere who lived on his "patch"

Lion in Winter Mar 3rd 2019 1:33 am

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 12646379)
If its just head whetting you are looking for I am sure this organization will oblige - the Pastafarians. I'm fairly sure you can even be ordained yourself:

https://www.venganza.org/

I love the way the url of that site means "revenge". Also, please don't whet any babies' heads :scaredhair:

Harveyspecter Mar 4th 2019 1:02 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12646593)
Please do not perpetuate the myth that religion is important. Let the child form it's own opinion.

I agree, but baptising them when they don't remember is different from pushing religion down their throat contantly imo.

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12646600)
The First Presbyterian insist that you attend Mass ? Something strange there !

My bad, I used that term loosely.

Anyway, we have a solution now so thanks to all who responded.

Rete Mar 4th 2019 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter (Post 12647652)
I agree, but baptising them when they don't remember is different from pushing religion down their throat contantly imo.

Totally agree with you. Being an American where religious ceremonies play a major part in many of our lives (note: ceremonies not religious doctrines), I understand where the maternal grandparents are coming from. For instance it is a really big thing in the Catholic faith. It's a lovely ceremony and a great celebratory party afterwards but most often, the parents will never again enter church for a Sunday service until the next ceremonial occasion draws near which would be Holy Communion for the 8 year old.

I raised Catholic and raised my daughters in that faith. They were formally baptized, took CDC classes and made their Holy Communion and then Confirmation. We never were steady churchgoers and after their Confirmations the girls never went back to church until one married a man who was Catholic and the process started all over again with their children. The other is a confirmed atheist and that is fine with me. It is her choice.

Harveyspecter Mar 4th 2019 1:17 am

Yep, and the main thing here is that as part of 'ceremony' my wife wants our daughter baptised in the same dress she was baptised in. No way will she fit in that as an adult! :rofl:

chawkins99 Mar 4th 2019 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter (Post 12647658)
Yep, and the main thing here is that as part of 'ceremony' my wife wants our daughter baptised in the same dress she was baptised in. No way will she fit in that as an adult! :rofl:

We have a christening gown in our family. Originally made for my Grandmother in 1910 and has been used for at least 5 generations since. I'm not sure who is the current custodian. I was baptized in it in 1962.

Harveyspecter Mar 4th 2019 2:40 am

That's awesome Chawkins.