Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Baptising a baby in the US, struggling to find somewhere to do it.

Baptising a baby in the US, struggling to find somewhere to do it.

Old Mar 1st 2019, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baptising a baby in the US, struggling to find somewhere to do it.

I'll cut to the chase, we have had a nightmare trying to find somewhere to baptise our baby. Neither my wife nor I are particularly religious, but like my parents, I wish to baptise my kid so she has the option to follow religious beliefs or not.

Most places we have asked have basically refused to baptise her unless we have been long term members of their congregation. As a last resort we went to a catholic church and they insisted they could only carry out a baptism if we had written proof that the godparents were all devout Catholics from their local church! We have a UK and US set of god parents, and the UK godparents are about as far from Catholic as can be!

We have a meeting with a pastor from a First Presbyterian church this week, but even then it looks like they are wanting us to attend mass and join their church for a while which I'd rather not do what with being an atheist. So much for God loving all right?! I just want my baby's head whetted.

Any other Brits had the same issue and can offer some advice?
Old Mar 1st 2019, 2:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baptising a baby in the US, struggling to find somewhere to do it.

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
I'll cut to the chase, we have had a nightmare trying to find somewhere to baptise our baby. Neither my wife nor I are particularly religious, but like my parents, I wish to baptise my kid so she has the option to follow religious beliefs or not.

Most places we have asked have basically refused to baptise her unless we have been long term members of their congregation. As a last resort we went to a catholic church and they insisted they could only carry out a baptism if we had written proof that the godparents were all devout Catholics from their local church! We have a UK and US set of god parents, and the UK godparents are about as far from Catholic as can be!

We have a meeting with a pastor from a First Presbyterian church this week, but even then it looks like they are wanting us to attend mass and join their church for a while which I'd rather not do what with being an atheist. So much for God loving all right?! I just want my baby's head whetted.

Any other Brits had the same issue and can offer some advice?
The US doesn't do christianity in the same way as the UK does. It really is far more of a religious thing than a cultural thing as it is in the UK, so the idea of getting a baby baptized into a religion when you are an atheist will make no sense to them. I wouldn't worry about it. If your child wants to be a christian when she grows up, she can be baptised at any age. Grown ups are often baptised here.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 2:24 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

You're giving them the choice to decide to be religious or not but limiting them to Christianity? What if they decide to be Jewish or Muslim etc etc? Baptism is a complete waste of time unless/until the child decides to practice a religion and then they'll always let you in as an adult etc so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The US doesn't do christianity in the same way as the UK does. It really is far more of a religious thing than a cultural thing as it is in the UK, so the idea of getting a baby baptized into a religion when you are an atheist will make no sense to them. I wouldn't worry about it. If your child wants to be a christian when she grows up, she can be baptised at any age. Grown ups are often baptised here.
Makes no sense to me.

Sounds more an Instagram thing.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
You're giving them the choice to decide to be religious or not but limiting them to Christianity? What if they decide to be Jewish or Muslim etc etc? Baptism is a complete waste of time unless/until the child decides to practice a religion and then they'll always let you in as an adult etc so I wouldn't worry about it.
I see your point yes, I'm not as fussed it is more the maternal side of the family, but pending how this meeting goes I'm inclined to just give them the choice as an adult as you say.

Originally Posted by Boiler

Sounds more an Instagram thing.
It's not. Excuse my tone as I'm in a bad mood today but don't make assumptions, I'm as anti social media as you can get.

Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself inducted as a priest on the internet, then do it yourself in the bath. It's what I did to shut people up about it and make them realise how weird the whole process is in the first place. A priest isn't magical, why do people think they have more power just because they are employed by another group of people who think they know what God wants? Getting a certificate off the internet is no different. The water isn't made magical by the priest, or by the words said. And if God is going to treat your kids any differently due to this involuntary ceremony then we're probably all screwed anyway by some rules we don't even know about.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Anian
Get yourself inducted as a priest on the internet, then do it yourself in the bath. It's what I did to shut people up about it and make them realise how weird the whole process is in the first place. A priest isn't magical, why do people think they have more power just because they are employed by another group of people who think they know what God wants? Getting a certificate off the internet is no different. The water isn't made magical by the priest, or by the words said. And if God is going to treat your kids any differently due to this involuntary ceremony then we're probably all screwed anyway by some rules we don't even know about.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's a great idea, thank you!!!
Old Mar 1st 2019, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Or wait and ask if the baby wants baptized.
Makes no difference either way.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 4:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your don't have to be a priest or a minister to baptize an infant. Walk into any Catholic church and walk out with some holy water. Find the language on the internet and baptize your child yourself.

I left that religion many decades ago. They refused to send a priest to my father's burial because he was from out of state (moved when he retired) even though he was a former member of that church, was being buried in that church's cemetery, and attended church of the same denomination in his new home. They wanted $500 upfront and a mass before they would consent to perform the ceremony at the burial site. My daughter found a priest from an orthodox church who came for nothing (we gave him a substantial gift as a thank you).

Just because you are baptized into one particular religion does NOT mean you have to practice that faith or ever have anything whatsoever to do with that church. All teenagers and/or adults will make their own religious decision when they are ready. It is not like you are making them attend church weekly, go to classes to learn the bible and religious ceremonies and eventually, if Catholic, make communion or confirmation and it is not like taking off a foreskin for crying out loud.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 1st 2019 at 4:33 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 5:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Get it done on your next trip to the UK. There's no time limit.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 5:42 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Just because you are baptized into one particular religion does NOT mean you have to practice that faith or ever have anything whatsoever to do with that church. All teenagers and/or adults will make their own religious decision when they are ready. It is not like you are making them attend church weekly, go to classes to learn the bible and religious ceremonies and eventually, if Catholic, make communion or confirmation and it is not like taking off a foreskin for crying out loud.
No-one said they do, it was just a response to the argument of getting them baptized just in case they want to follow that religion because if you did that you may as well induct them in to all religions just in case though I concede some have more permanent initiations than others.

Old Mar 1st 2019, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

When our daughter was born, we made the decision not to baptize. She can make up her own mind later.

27 years later, she has 'dabbled' in several different churches but has no real belief system. Her best friend from college is Mormon.

Let the child decide...
Old Mar 1st 2019, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
like they are wanting us to attend mass and join their church for a while which I'd rather not do what with being an atheist. So much for God loving all right! I just want my babies head wetted
With as much due respect as I can muster this post might win the award for the most stupid thing I have read today.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

If its just head whetting you are looking for I am sure this organization will oblige - the Pastafarians. I'm fairly sure you can even be ordained yourself:

https://www.venganza.org/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.