Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:23 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It'd be pretty close.
I feel like I've been stuck on a mining ship for 3 million years, but I realised I only started feeling that way after I'd been here...
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

People don't make stuff up on an internet forum. What the bloody hell are you on about

Either way, you both spelt 'cheque' incorrectly
Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
I spelt it that way for authentication purposes.. arsehole. I have no idea what even made me think of the term in the first place.
Entirely possible. I wonder why the US military would do that.. but then I wonder why they do a lot of things.
Catch yourself on, son - I was just having a larf
Catch yourself on son, I was only taking the piss back at you.
I know
We must be short of people to take the piss out off, if it's reduced to just us two.
Wait for it, the international thread police will be on to tell us we post too much again.
WGAF?
WCGAWIE? (Translation: Who can get a word in edgewise?)
And look what I learned how to do - multiple quotes. Oh, goody.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I've been stuck on a mining ship for 3 million years, but I realised I only started feeling that way after I'd been here...
It feels more like 4 million years.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
WCGAWIE? (Translation: Who can get a word in edgewise?)
And look what I learned how to do - multiple quotes. Oh, goody.
Bloody hell, you'll have opposable thumbs next.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
Bloody hell, you'll have opposable thumbs next.
Nah, already got those - and do more with them than sit on them like some folks I know. What you'll see me learn next is the 2 finger salute - can't wait till you see that one!
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Who let Dorothy Parker in?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, already got those - and do more with them than sit on them like some folks I know. What you'll see me learn next is the 2 finger salute - can't wait till you see that one!
I knew I should have turned the webcam off..
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

My son picked up on that one very quickly
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Either way, you both spelt 'cheque' incorrectly

A thought occurred to me regarding the use of "cutting" -- the old mimeograph process included "cutting a stencil." Military orders were issued in multiple copies through use of mimeograph machines. Terminology from old technology often outlives that technology -- witness the use of "dial" in telephony.

Rather than dislike a phrase, it is often more fun to speculate on etymology.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

A thought occurred to me regarding the use of "cutting" -- the old mimeograph process included "cutting a stencil." Military orders were issued in multiple copies through use of mimeograph machines. Terminology from old technology often outlives that technology -- witness the use of "dial" in telephony.

Yeah, we 'dial' a number on a keypad now, don't we?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

I always use "fire up" .. as in "fire up the DVD player," or "fire up the computer." However, no riddling, buckets full of coke or pokers are involved.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:28 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Who let Dorothy Parker in?
But she'd need to be able to produce some witty comments, to be properly compared to Dorothy Parker. I haven't seen any sign of that happening, yet.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
I always use "fire up" .. as in "fire up the DVD player," or "fire up the computer." However, no riddling, buckets full of coke or pokers are involved.
Shame on you. You should be burned at the stake for such nonsense.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It feels more like 4 million years.
Agreed. In fact the way it's going, it could feel like 10 million by the time we get to January 2012.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Agreed. In fact the way it's going, it could feel like 10 million by the time we get to January 2012.
That sounds like time dilation, relatively speaking . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.