Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

Growing up here in California, "dinner" and "supper" were synonymous. As I became literate, I gathered that the terms were no entirely synonymous. Usage varied by the time in which it was used, and also by geography in the United States.

I now understand that that "dinner" has historically been used as referring to the main meal of the day while "supper" referred to the evening repast. So, when the evening meal became the main meal of the day, the two terms converged.

BTW, I was amused by the reference to "The Last Supper." That was a Jewish Passover Seder which fits the descriptions of a "dinner."
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

BTW, I was amused by the reference to "The Last Supper." That was a Jewish Passover Seder which fits the descriptions of a "dinner."
Yeah when you FINALLY get to the actual meal, after all the reading, singing, reclining, questions etc....
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Growing up here in California, "dinner" and "supper" were synonymous. As I became literate, I gathered that the terms were no entirely synonymous. Usage varied by the time in which it was used, and also by geography in the United States.

I now understand that that "dinner" has historically been used as referring to the main meal of the day while "supper" referred to the evening repast. So, when the evening meal became the main meal of the day, the two terms converged.

I haven't seen anyone mention that "supper" is an extension of the word "sup"; I was taught that inviting others to "come sup with us" , referred to having a drink of some kind - whether it was alcoholic or not was irrelevant. So, it would seem the modern idea of having a cup of tea with toast or a biscuit as a "snack" fits right in with that.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yeah when you FINALLY get to the actual meal, after all the reading, singing, reclining, questions etc....
been there done that - and will do again ho hum
Next year in California PG
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
been there done that - and will do again ho hum
Next year in California PG
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Here's some more where that came from...
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

+ 1

When my daughters were children, I once placed the thing in open sight on the kitchen counter. No one could find it!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:46 pm
BE Commentator

You are bad.

Have a kosher ham and cheese sandwich on rye for me.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

+ 1

When my daughters were children, I once placed the thing in open sight on the kitchen counter. No one could find it!
Good idea.. in our house it would come to light months or years later.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are bad.

Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

You are bad.

It can be done..

I find this shocking though.. a FEMALE rabbi??

When he learns that pork is a forbidden food according to Jewish law, he stuffs his face with kosher pickles and raisin challah, hoping to become kosher. He even tries, unsuccessfully, to become a cow. Finally, an encounter with a kind rabbi sets him straight. She explains that while he's not kosher to eat, never will be, and really wouldn't want to be, everyone is welcome at Shabbat dinner.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

It can be done..

I find this shocking though.. a FEMALE rabbi??

When he learns that pork is a forbidden food according to Jewish law, he stuffs his face with kosher pickles and raisin challah, hoping to become kosher. He even tries, unsuccessfully, to become a cow. Finally, an encounter with a kind rabbi sets him straight. She explains that while he's not kosher to eat, never will be, and really wouldn't want to be, everyone is welcome at Shabbat dinner.
Wow amazing isnt it! A FEMALE Rabbi - never heard of such a thing
Actually we got married by one and a very good job she did too!!! It is humboldt county tho!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

I would like to add a couple of very annoying phrases:-

1. "I don't got no money". "He don't got nothing to say". Double negatives - if he don't got NO money then that means that he has some money......

2. "Where is she AT?" "Where did I leave it AT?" "Where did you leave the keys AT? Arrrggg it really grates on me - stop saying AT, why not just say Where is she? Where are the keys?

3. I'm going to axe her a question..... er OK you mean ask her a question. Nuff said.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 12:03 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicat26
I would like to add a couple of very annoying phrases:-

1. "I don't got no money". "He don't got nothing to say". Double negatives - if he don't got NO money then that means that he has some money......

2. "Where is she AT?" "Where did I leave it AT?" "Where did you leave the keys AT? Arrrggg it really grates on me - stop saying AT, why not just say Where is she? Where are the keys?

3. I'm going to axe her a question..... er OK you mean ask her a question. Nuff said.
Do you have a problem with African Americans?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.