Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American attitudes towards the poor

Wikiposts

American attitudes towards the poor

Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American attitudes towards the poor

Originally Posted by JRG67
Join up with the Bloods or the Crypts,
Crips
.....lifestyle if you learnt some Spanish
or Maniac Latin Disciples

I have learned way too much about this stuff since living in America. (luckily from wannabes and not the real thing)
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:18 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Callate la boca chica, I live in Miami, remember?
I know, honey
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:22 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Crips

or Maniac Latin Disciples

I have learned way too much about this stuff since living in America. (luckily from wannabes and not the real thing)
I was once in a ward where the inpatient was a gay Crypt (sic) member who was cheating on his bf with a Blood male.... What a psycho! I didn't get what he was talking about until I asked a friend.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I was once in a ward where the inpatient was a gay Crypt (sic) member who was cheating on his bf with a Blood male.... What a psycho! I didn't get what he was talking about until I asked a friend.
The whole gang culture seems so closet gay.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The whole gang culture seems so closet gay.
Yep, tell me about it
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:08 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Some Americans get it:

If I were American, I would be patriotic because of people like Springsteen.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:13 pm
Banned

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhq-yO1KN8

Some GET it even better!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:12 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Two things for this thread.

First is that Englishmum started a pretty good thread with a similar tack on it here - some pretty good points in it.

Secondly was that to reflect on the re-emergence of Ayn Rand in some political circles and how that has greatly affected how large swathes of Tea Party folks view government social programs in the US. Years back William F. Buckley published this scathing review of Rand's Atlas Shrugged in National Review. The review by Whittaker including the line “Out of a lifetime of reading, I can recall no other book in which a tone of overriding arrogance was so implacably sustained. Its shrillness is without reprieve. Its dogmatism is without appeal.” Buckley was of agreement that conservatism should not base itself on a combination of elitism via intellectualism and gentry-status, and revulsion of the poor. The point being (as Buckley repeats in this four minute excerpt from Charlie Rose) he says that, "Her scorn for charity,for altruism was such as to build up an unfeeling system".

Anyhoo - I thought it was interesting that the GOP had listened to Buckley, ignored what he said and shaken off the intellectualism but kept the revulsion.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Blame the politicians that spread the lies for political gain. Reagan coined the term welfare queen. Gingrich took control of congress based on hate for those on assistance.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Say it Loud
I'm poor
and I'm proud !"

Doesn't sound right, does it ?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:17 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing...

When you're poor in the US, there are numerous external forces that won't hesitate to kick you in the proverbial nuts when you're down. Whether it's the ridiculously expensive healthcare system, banks that will charge you a monthly fee just for having a small balance, non-dischargeable student loans for those who did try to better themselves, predatory practices by creditors/lenders and a total lack of regulation plus the joys of having a large chunk of the population that actually hates you and would most likely prefer to see you lined up against the wall and shot, rather then dare to ask for public assistance.

Notice how bad parts of town are littered with parasitic check cashing stores, making money out of desperation? Plus endless commercials for debt consolidation, lots of bottom feeding bankruptcy attorneys.

Not only that, but having a low credit score will actually limit the number of jobs you can actually apply for. Where's the logic in that?

Tuxedocat nailed it about Reagan. He coined the welfare queen term and popularised terms such as "personal responsibility" and "bad decision making", often used by neocons today to absolve the government of any responsibility in terms of welfare, thus placing the responsibility solely on the individual. "You're poor, it's your fault".

The whole system is broken, IMO. While the US does reward achievement a bit too well, those who fall off the rails through sickness, job loss or divorce along with those who were never able to get on the rails in the first place are penalised far too harshly, when in fact, they should be helped.

Last edited by Ethelred_the_Unready; Dec 4th 2012 at 11:20 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
Two things for this thread.

First is that Englishmum started a pretty good thread with a similar tack on it here - some pretty good points in it.

Secondly was that to reflect on the re-emergence of Ayn Rand in some political circles and how that has greatly affected how large swathes of Tea Party folks view government social programs in the US. Years back William F. Buckley published this scathing review of Rand's Atlas Shrugged in National Review. The review by Whittaker including the line “Out of a lifetime of reading, I can recall no other book in which a tone of overriding arrogance was so implacably sustained. Its shrillness is without reprieve. Its dogmatism is without appeal.” Buckley was of agreement that conservatism should not base itself on a combination of elitism via intellectualism and gentry-status, and revulsion of the poor. The point being (as Buckley repeats in this four minute excerpt from Charlie Rose) he says that, "Her scorn for charity,for altruism was such as to build up an unfeeling system".

Anyhoo - I thought it was interesting that the GOP had listened to Buckley, ignored what he said and shaken off the intellectualism but kept the revulsion.
Good info as always. Cheers
Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by scot47
"Say it Loud
I'm poor
and I'm proud !"

Doesn't sound right, does it ?
OK

I'm poor and I'm proud. I have never cheated for financial gain, and I don't give a f$$k about the system.

pstt. lend us a fiver for Christmas
Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Another thing...

When you're poor in the US, there are numerous external forces that won't hesitate to kick you in the proverbial nuts when you're down. Whether it's the ridiculously expensive healthcare system, banks that will charge you a monthly fee just for having a small balance, non-dischargeable student loans for those who did try to better themselves, predatory practices by creditors/lenders and a total lack of regulation plus the joys of having a large chunk of the population that actually hates you and would most likely prefer to see you lined up against the wall and shot, rather then dare to ask for public assistance.

Notice how bad parts of town are littered with parasitic check cashing stores, making money out of desperation? Plus endless commercials for debt consolidation, lots of bottom feeding bankruptcy attorneys.

Not only that, but having a low credit score will actually limit the number of jobs you can actually apply for. Where's the logic in that?

Tuxedocat nailed it about Reagan. He coined the welfare queen term and popularised terms such as "personal responsibility" and "bad decision making", often used by neocons today to absolve the government of any responsibility in terms of welfare, thus placing the responsibility solely on the individual. "You're poor, it's your fault".

The whole system is broken, IMO. While the US does reward achievement a bit too well, those who fall off the rails through sickness, job loss or divorce along with those who were never able to get on the rails in the first place are penalised far too harshly, when in fact, they should be helped.
I think the film Trading Places nailed it all.
Unless one hits rock bottom, one is painfully unaware of how tough it can be out there.

Murphy and Aykroyd for Prez!!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

And those lies that are spread keep everyday people brainwashed and believing misconceptions about the poor. Not only that but they can't believe it to be any other way even when something else is right in front of them. I've seen it my entire life, they think anything different than what they believe about the poor is the exception.
The hate and expectation for people to jump social classes by sheer willpower is already there, but those lies just make it worse.

Also people do not see how much they were given by their family. They think living at home during college breaks and cashiering at McDonalds means they were self made worked their way through college. They do not see how much their family did for them, helping them to transition into adulthood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.