2020 Election

Old Jul 25th 2019, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by caretaker
"I want to see him in jail." Forgive me if I misquote. Wasn't her original excuse that if impeachment proceedings went forward and failed, that he then couldn't be convicted after he was out of office?
Double jeopardy? Not sure that's correct though given that there is impeachment is a political act, not a criminal justic act per se.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 5:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Double jeopardy? Not sure that's correct though given that there is impeachment is a political act, not a criminal justic act per se.
Maybe she meant that if impeachment failed there is no way he'd be convicted later in criminal court.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Impeachment is supposed to be a criminal justice act.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 5:33 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Trump has committed numerous crimes. I've no doubt SDNY could find something from his businesses unrelated to obstruction of justice if they wanted to.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well if the Dems really want to go through impeachment then they will, no one member can stop that.
I think the speaker can, just as McConnell has frequently stopped legislation being considered in the Senate.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 5:40 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Impeachment is supposed to be a criminal justice act.
The Constitution says: "Judgment in Cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law" which makes me think double jeopardy in an actual trial, would not apply. But I am no lawyer.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

The Mueller questioning wasn't a loss for the Democrats at all, but it wasn't much of a gain either. It pretty much confirmed what everyone with half a brain already knew - that Trump wasn't exonerated and Barr misrepresented it, and the reasons why Mueller didn't recommend indictment. At least it was put into plainer words for the uninformed voters to understand better.

I saw quite a bit of it. It was funny when Republicans would clearly have a set of prepared statements and questions that were meant to lead Mueller into a trap, but would fail halfway through and they soldiered on flustered but regardless, ending with a statement that made no sense and was completely wrong given what Mueller just told them.

So we end up where we were before, with Republicans denying reality in order to confuse their voters into thinking Trump did nothing at all, and Democrats sitting on their hands despite knowing they have enough to start impeachment. But they want maximum political impact, so now is the wrong time to do it. They'll wait until a good time before the election so that even if it fails it is recent enough to linger in people's minds.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Anian
The Mueller questioning wasn't a loss for the Democrats at all, but it wasn't much of a gain either. It pretty much confirmed what everyone with half a brain already knew - that Trump wasn't exonerated and Barr misrepresented it, and the reasons why Mueller didn't recommend indictment. At least it was put into plainer words for the uninformed voters to understand better.

I saw quite a bit of it. It was funny when Republicans would clearly have a set of prepared statements and questions that were meant to lead Mueller into a trap, but would fail halfway through and they soldiered on flustered but regardless, ending with a statement that made no sense and was completely wrong given what Mueller just told them.

So we end up where we were before, with Republicans denying reality in order to confuse their voters into thinking Trump did nothing at all, and Democrats sitting on their hands despite knowing they have enough to start impeachment. But they want maximum political impact, so now is the wrong time to do it. They'll wait until a good time before the election so that even if it fails it is recent enough to linger in people's minds.
So they will delay impeachment, let Trump stay in place, for political expediency?

Not sure that will sell very well.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you've been following the news much lately, but yeah it hasn't.

Old Jul 26th 2019, 9:20 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll wade in here with a few "Republican talking points" designed to "troll" the agreeing masses here. This is pointless. Still, I can't help myself.

1. It's not Mueller's job or indeed the job of any Special Council to "exonerate" anyone. This whole discussion of "exoneration" is nonsense.
2. Mueller's job WAS to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 election. Given that, an investigation into the Democrat's hired gun Fusion GPS's partnerships with Putin mouthpiece lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya (you know, of Trump Tower meeting fame) and Putin money-laundering bagmen Prevezon seems relevant. After all, Fusion GPS likely kicked off this whole mess... but apparently this is "not in his purview". OK, what role did the DMC/Clinton campaign-hired International Man of Mystery Christopher Steele play here? Not in his purview. Potential FBI violations of the FISA? Not in his purview. All of these things should very plausibly have been in his "purview". A reasonable person might look at these holes in Mueller's "purview" and think that this investigation was somewhat "politically directed" shall we say.
3. I can't wait for the Democrat mud-slinging machine to wind up and be directed at Messrs Barr and Horowitz given the ongoing investigation into the aforementioned *ahem* "peculiar" behavior of the FBI in its use of FISA warrants in the "investigation" of the Trump campaign. Again, a reasonable person could look at at the highly suspicious Fusion GPS/DMC/Justice Department/FBI/Christopher Steele coziness and wonder if the decidedly less plausible "Russian collusion" stuff was in fact a smokescreen.
4. The Democrats are continually shifting goalposts here: "Russian Collusion" didn't work? How about just investigating Trump for everything and anything, just make sure that he's "under investigation"? How about subtly shifting the positioning of the Mueller investigation, that Trump cooperated with the vile Russkies, to general Russians interference in the election, which are two different things but sound kinda-the-same at a glance? Do as the endlessly entertaining Democrat pitbull Adam Schiff does: rant and rail with vague, impossible to prove or disprove statements, confuse morality and legality, keep the story alive. A compliant and supportive media will surely help in creating the headlines. In Washington when all else fails, obfuscate.

OK, I've got that off my chest. You may begin calling me a Trump fanboy stoogemoron.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jul 26th 2019 at 9:24 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'll wade in here with a few "Republican talking points" designed to "troll" the agreeing masses here. This is pointless. Still, I can't help myself.

1. It's not Mueller's job or indeed the job of any Special Council to "exonerate" anyone. This whole discussion of "exoneration" is nonsense.
2. Mueller's job WAS to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 election. Given that, an investigation into the Democrat's hired gun Fusion GPS's partnerships with Putin mouthpiece lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya (you know, of Trump Tower meeting fame) and Putin money-laundering bagmen Prevezon seems relevant. After all, Fusion GPS likely kicked off this whole mess... but apparently this is "not in his purview". OK, what role did the DMC/Clinton campaign-hired International Man of Mystery Christopher Steele play here? Not in his purview. Potential FBI violations of the FISA? Not in his purview. All of these things should very plausibly have been in his "purview". A reasonable person might look at these holes in Mueller's "purview" and think that this investigation was somewhat "politically directed" shall we say.
3. I can't wait for the Democrat mud-slinging machine to wind up and be directed at Messrs Barr and Horowitz given the ongoing investigation into the aforementioned *ahem* "peculiar" behavior of the FBI in its use of FISA warrants in the "investigation" of the Trump campaign. Again, a reasonable person could look at at the highly suspicious Fusion GPS/DMC/Justice Department/FBI/Christopher Steele coziness and wonder if the decidedly less plausible "Russian collusion" stuff was in fact a smokescreen.
4. The Democrats are continually shifting goalposts here: "Russian Collusion" didn't work? How about just investigating Trump for everything and anything, just make sure that he's "under investigation"? How about subtly shifting the positioning of the Mueller investigation, that Trump cooperated with the vile Russkies, to general Russians interference in the election, which are two different things but sound kinda-the-same at a glance? Do as the endlessly entertaining Democrat pitbull Adam Schiff does: rant and rail with vague, impossible to prove or disprove statements, confuse morality and legality, keep the story alive. A compliant and supportive media will surely help in creating the headlines. In Washington when all else fails, obfuscate.

OK, I've got that off my chest. You may begin calling me a Trump fanboy stoogemoron.
I was wondering if you were new around here.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

It was essentially watching a frail, bumbling old man who couldn't remember names or even the questions he was asked 30 seconds previously.

Pretty depressing/comical depending on how you look at it. Immense waste of time and money.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 4:15 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

So, second debate part one quick summary:

The generic moderate Republicans on stage all came for Sanders and Warren and they all lost badly. None of them will make the stage next time.
Buttigieg does a better White Obama act than Beto.
Marianne Williamson is an interesting character. She has some good ideas and is very intelligent, and her answer on reparations was compelling. But it is still spoiled by the spiritualism and woo.
Warren and Sanders worked together very effectively to fend off the right wing and the disingenuous CNN clowns. It will be interesting to see if there will be the same dynamic the next time when the survivors will all be on the same stage together. Biden will be toast, assuming he isn't destroyed by Harris and Booker tonight.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
It was essentially watching a frail, bumbling old man who couldn't remember names or even the questions he was asked 30 seconds previously.

Pretty depressing/comical depending on how you look at it. Immense waste of time and money.
He couldn't even remember his own report, calling into question if he wrote or even read it.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 4:33 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Buttigieg does a better White Obama act than Beto.
I liked O'Rourke (as I mentioned earlier on in the thread) but it seems that it was easy to like him when he was running against Cruz but against the rest of the field, not so much.

I don't really like Warren or Sanders policies, but boy do I believe Warren when she speaks. Bernie on the other hand, grates on me. This time around he seems irrelevant and entitled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.