Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Nov 28th 2016, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

I'm not trying to be a Trump supporter, nor an apologist - I fully believe that a Trump administration is going to do some significant damage to American citizenry and America's perceived place in the world. However, I'm trying to take an optimistic approach ("Is there even a drop of water in this glass?") that Trump's 'overt' controversies will enable a constant critical vigilance on this administration that may prevent us from 'waking up' five years from now and realizing that we're really screwed.

Trump's policy positions have always seemed to be set in sand. He's had so many flip-flops and policy easing statements that it's hard to pin down what he will actually enact. As a narcissist, he wants to be seen in a positive light by others, so it will be interesting to see his reaction when faced with mounting protests, and condemnation from other world leaders on policies, especially with regards to climate change.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
If Clinton won, I imagine Republicans would have pushed through Merrick Garland in the lame duck session because he's centrist and Clinton's pick would have been more liberal.

As it is, I don't see Democrats filibustering Trump's pick for the next two (or more) years, so there will be a conservative majority again. Also, look at who else is on the court. Will RBG, Breyer and/or Kennedy still be around in another four years? It could very easily start to look a lot more conservative without any packing. Not to mention all the openings on lower courts that Republicans have dragged their feet on.
Just prior to election night (when it looked like Clinton would win), there were open discussions by Republicans that they wouldn't fill the open vacancy at all

Cruz, other senators suggest blocking Clinton Supreme Court nominees, while Cornyn would consider them | Politics | Dallas News
Old Nov 28th 2016, 11:36 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
My original thought was that the Romney meeting was a Trump vengeance plot. By having the meeting with Romney, it allowed the media to bring up all the bad things that he said about Trump, and then all of the Trump's spokespeople could go on the various media shows and slam Romney's record and feel that they got their payback for the things that Romney said on the campaign trail. If true, would continue to lower the bar for political conduct, and further dissuade qualified people from joining his administration. However, this tactic doesn't seem to be out of the realm of possibility for those that perceive a vindictive temperament by Trump and some of his advisors.

However, just saw a brief where apparently Romney has a second meeting with the Trump transition team tomorrow - so perhaps not. Appointing Romney to a cabinet position, even if it's not SoS, to possibly appease some Republicans who weren't in his camp will simply infuriate his base.
The idea that has been floated is that Romney can only have the job if he makes a public apology for everything bad he said about Trump during the election. If I was Romney I would be, "Like **** I will." Also, since when does anything said during the campaign even count? Did Trump apologize for calling Ben Carson a pedophile before Trump offered him a cabinet position? And KellyAnne Conway gnashing her stupid teeth over what a horrible betrayal this would be to Trump's loyal voters. Uuuummmm .... how is this more of a betrayal than Trump suddenly deciding the Clintons are good people and he isn't going "lock her up" after all? Or the wall? The wall that is now a fence? By next week that wall will be a traffic cone, ffs.

Last edited by Leslie; Nov 28th 2016 at 11:39 am.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 11:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Nov 28th 2016, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Unattributed Daily Fail link... ho hum.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 2:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
And "Heba"? I don't think so.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And "Heba"? I don't think so.
Huma's sister, apparently. The Daily Fail story is quite amusing in how they misrepresent what that Facebook post says.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 5:34 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ever wonder why the ACA Marketplace had its renewal period (with higher rates) come out in November, just a week prior to the Election?
This is a typical open enrollment period for employer-based health insurance, since the policies are based upon the calendar year and are priced based upon coverage for the calendar year. Nothing to do with the election.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.417af966a174

WaPo

Better?
Old Nov 28th 2016, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
This is a typical open enrollment period for employer-based health insurance, since the policies are based upon the calendar year and are priced based upon coverage for the calendar year. Nothing to do with the election.
I agree, does make me wonder if the political consequences were not thought of and if not what why not.

I seem to remember it being mentioned at the time? But hazy so will not say any more.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:41 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to be a Trump supporter, nor an apologist - I fully believe that a Trump administration is going to do some significant damage to American citizenry and America's perceived place in the world. However, I'm trying to take an optimistic approach ("Is there even a drop of water in this glass?") that Trump's 'overt' controversies will enable a constant critical vigilance on this administration that may prevent us from 'waking up' five years from now and realizing that we're really screwed.

Trump's policy positions have always seemed to be set in sand. He's had so many flip-flops and policy easing statements that it's hard to pin down what he will actually enact. As a narcissist, he wants to be seen in a positive light by others, so it will be interesting to see his reaction when faced with mounting protests, and condemnation from other world leaders on policies, especially with regards to climate change.
I get that, but you did suggest that it was better to have a President Trump than a President Clinton in certain circumstances, and I can't think of any instance where that is true. Well, maybe if Trump had picked Bernie Sanders as his VP and then slipped and fell off the podium at his inauguration and cracked his head open. Maybe then, but otherwise no.

What this should do is wake up the left so they remember that using drones to kill brown people is bad, or section 1021 of the NDAA is a bad thing because habeas corpus was a good idea, or the 4th Amendment does actually exist. Maybe they could remember some of those, I dunno.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by zargof
I get that, but you did suggest that it was better to have a President Trump than a President Clinton in certain circumstances, and I can't think of any instance where that is true. Well, maybe if Trump had picked Bernie Sanders as his VP and then slipped and fell off the podium at his inauguration and cracked his head open. Maybe then, but otherwise no.

What this should do is wake up the left so they remember that using drones to kill brown people is bad, or section 1021 of the NDAA is a bad thing because habeas corpus was a good idea, or the 4th Amendment does actually exist. Maybe they could remember some of those, I dunno.
You sort of contradicted yourself with your second paragraph.

We will never know what Hillary would have done and we have yet to find out what Trump will do, I can think of a few things where Hillary is likely to have done some nasty things and Trump will not. And vice versa.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:56 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You sort of contradicted yourself with your second paragraph.

We will never know what Hillary would have done and we have yet to find out what Trump will do, I can think of a few things where Hillary is likely to have done some nasty things and Trump will not. And vice versa.
No I didn't. This is just the silver lining on a very dark cloud. Given the sort of things a Trump presidency can lead to, some of which I've highlighted already, there is nothing a Clinton presidency can do that comes close to being as damaging.

Clinton wasn't going to put another Scalia on the Supreme Court, Clinton wasn't going to roll back climate change regulations, Clinton wasn't going to repeal the ACA, Clinton wasn't going to tear up the Iran deal, Clinton wasn't to use a nuclear weapon. Clinton is many things, but she isn't insane. With Trump, I just don't know.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:01 am
Account Closed

You stated an absolute, life is not about absolutes.

As they said at least Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Now if you had said on balance Hillary would be better than Trump, then that strikes me as a valid opinion. But in all cases?

There are very few changes where there are not winners and losers, so if you accept that a change is for the common good and we all agree that, well there is still likely to be a loser, maybe even us.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:35 am
I love my brick!

Originally Posted by Boiler
You stated an absolute, life is not about absolutes.

As they said at least Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Now if you had said on balance Hillary would be better than Trump, then that strikes me as a valid opinion. But in all cases?

There are very few changes where there are not winners and losers, so if you accept that a change is for the common good and we all agree that, well there is still likely to be a loser, maybe even us.
Enough of the semantic claptrap. You've completely misconstrued what I said.

Ebonhawke originally said that with a Clinton presidency with a GOP House and Senate would be worse than what we have now. I was pushing backing against that idea.

I don't know how you got the idea that Trump wouldn't be better for some people than Clinton in some instances. Yes, corporations and those at the top will still get all the goodies they want (probably even more so than with Clinton), and the rest of us will get screwed.

The problem is, on climate change alone, which could fck up the planet for everyone makes this small fry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.