Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Nov 19th 2016, 1:31 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by Leslie
Good luck on getting the leadership from all of the other states to approve that sort of spending for just a few states. States that have already proven that they're shit at handling money.
America funded the rebuilding of Germany and Japan and provided money to developing countries over many years. Wherever people were willing to work the Americans were always there to help. Now we have a bunch of self serving gits whose only agenda is to screw the incumbent President if he belongs to a rival party.

Thank god I live in a part that's a sea of blue and the sixth largest economy in the world. We may just be able to escape some of the toxic emissions that will be coming out of DC for the next four years
Old Nov 19th 2016, 7:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Some bands don't know when to stop touring.
Maybe Trump will have a Leonard Cohen moment ....
Old Nov 19th 2016, 10:40 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Maybe Trump will have a Leonard Cohen moment ....
According to his web site their are indeed no tours planned.
https://www.leonardcohen.com/tour
Old Nov 19th 2016, 10:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
According to his web site their are indeed no tours planned.
https://www.leonardcohen.com/tour
Exactly.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

I think that we're going to see a lot of rants on Twitter from Trump - however, I think a lot of them will be trying to act as a political smokescreen to some of the other issues surrounding him.

Case in point, his twitter rant about the cast of Hamilton - lots of comments noting the hypocrisy of his rant, but it distracts from the news that he settled his Trump University fraud lawsuit for $25M on the same day, as well as the news that he has met with Indian business partners of the Trump Organization in Trump Tower (also remember that he's said on the campaign that the US would be looking to expand its relations with India), and the number of other instances since the election where conflict of interest / corruption could be implied.

While I'm sure that some members of the press and the voting contingent will keep tabs on the issues that should be the biggest impact to Trump, these distractions could keep a lot of people from focusing on those issues, and more focused on 'click bait' tweets.

Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
A massive influx of financial aid to these areas by the Federal government coupled with a massive program of job retraining no matter how long it takes

America has been pouring billions of dollars into other countries across the globe for 70 years. Why not start investing some our tax dollars at home?
Add reducing corporate taxes and regulations, and hopefully control of medical costs.

I know a local Midwest factory that has a starting wage of some $2,100 a month, but the cost of medical insurance to company over $1,000. So often they get temp workers making $1,600 or so they don't have to pay insurance. Other places structure jobs so two people work 29 hours a week each, works out often cheaper than one full time person.

Then on top of that restrictions on bank means many people cant get mortgages even with fair credit. Regulations ( city and state) make rehabilitating houses in the cities prohibitively expensive. So housing market which could absorb many of the out of work or underemployed is not as strong as it could be.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 8:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The local brew pub has stopped doing food, well they have a few snacks but that is all.

I asked why because they seemed to quite busy during the summer and was told that it was labour intensive and they could run the rest of it with a few people and the little bit extra simply was not worth all the extra hassle and risk.

The relative costs of doing things have changed a lot in my lifetime and continue to do so.

There are consequences in changes. I can see there is a market for high end individual restaurants but otherwise I expect there will be a continuing move to franchise type operations which can do volume.

My County I acknowledge needs more money, but they have cried wolf so many times and them misspent the proceeds that the chances of a successful vote is slim to nil.

One of the problems I see is that there are so many illogicalities in how things are done, needs major reform, but the people who will lose out will fight tooth and nail to stop changes happening, so the Politicians avoid the issues and focus on new areas. Meanwhile the issues get worse and worse. Happens at all levels. Saw the same thing when working for large companies, eventually companies fail, no such easy option for Government.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 11:29 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

America funded the rebuilding of Germany and Japan and provided money to developing countries over many years. Wherever people were willing to work the Americans were always there to help. Now we have a bunch of self serving gits whose only agenda is to screw the incumbent President if he belongs to a rival party.

Thank god I live in a part that's a sea of blue and the sixth largest economy in the world. We may just be able to escape some of the toxic emissions that will be coming out of DC for the next four years
I am cynical on this topic but that doesn't mean that I disagree with the spirit of what you're saying. I would love to be proven wrong.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Add reducing corporate taxes and regulations, and hopefully control of medical costs.

I know a local Midwest factory that has a starting wage of some $2,100 a month, but the cost of medical insurance to company over $1,000. So often they get temp workers making $1,600 or so they don't have to pay insurance. Other places structure jobs so two people work 29 hours a week each, works out often cheaper than one full time person.

Then on top of that restrictions on bank means many people cant get mortgages even with fair credit. Regulations ( city and state) make rehabilitating houses in the cities prohibitively expensive. So housing market which could absorb many of the out of work or underemployed is not as strong as it could be.
Thankfully I spent most of my working life, both in the UK and US when employers actually gave a damm about their employees.
The genesis of the downward spiral started with the sainted Ronald Regan the hated Mrs Thatcher.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Thankfully I spent most of my working life, both in the UK and US when employers actually gave a damn about their employees.
The genesis of the downward spiral started with the sainted Ronald Regan the hated Mrs Thatcher.
Certainly rimes have changed, there has to be a rebalance between labour costs, some disparity is OK but massive disparity over a long time will cause issues.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 5:07 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Thankfully I spent most of my working life, both in the UK and US when employers actually gave a damm about their employees.
I can thank Reagan for losing 40 percent of my Social Security benefit due to having the California Public Employees Retirement Pension.

The "double windfall" tax they called it. Eh ? Wot did they think? Two times a lottery winner?
Old Nov 21st 2016, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Many of the banking regulations stem from the events leading up to the great crash in 2008; or are you conveniently forgetting that? It was too easy to get money (mortgages) back in 2008, and banks were merging left, right, and center, and offering all manner of services. The regulations were designed to stop banks getting 'too big'; 'too big to fail'. I guess Trump will roll all that back, and will allow a free-for-all, which may eventually crash, leaving a democrat to pick up the pieces.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 7:15 am
Account Closed

The favourite meme seems to be that we made the mistake of taking Trump literally but not seriously, should have taken him seriously and not literally.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Many of the banking regulations stem from the events leading up to the great crash in 2008; or are you conveniently forgetting that? It was too easy to get money (mortgages) back in 2008, and banks were merging left, right, and center, and offering all manner of services. The regulations were designed to stop banks getting 'too big'; 'too big to fail'. I guess Trump will roll all that back, and will allow a free-for-all, which may eventually crash, leaving a democrat to pick up the pieces again.
Fyp.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

You people in CalMexico like to boast about having the sixth-largest economy in the world. There's also a lot of talk there (#Cali) about secession. Assuming the US reduces corporate tax rates to 15% and Cali departs and needs to keep those tax rates at the current level or higher to pay for all the free stuff. How long before all your big money-making corporations would be gone? They're public corps and the boards would have them relocate to Texas as the shareholders would demand. The Red counties of Cali would follow the historic example of West Virginia, then you'd be an over-populated coastal strip of cities, poor, hungry and out of water and power. You should thank God you're not yet allowed to escape - but our patience is wearing thin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.