Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:54 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It might be better to be told an uncomfortable truth than get sold a bunch of lies that 'things are going to get better', which never come to pass and they all end up screwed anyway.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:56 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Short version: Lie to dumb white people and promise them free ponies, because that's what they deserve.
As I said the Dems claim they are on the side of the working stiff but they haven't been lately. The GOP claim they can do what the Dems haven't done. Neither one is better than the other but they're willing now to give Trump a chance and whose to blame them ?

There's more underlying than just jobs. The cry "Hillary just means another 4 years of Obama" means that many see the country as going the wrong way and want change but be careful what you wish for.

The other slogan "make America great again" leaves me wondering. America for years after WW2 was the greatest military and economic power in the world (and it still is in many ways). If that was the case as regards being "great" then it wasn't great for black Americans living in segregation and denied the right to vote
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
The problem with the "dumb white bit" is that for years those DWs have been living in rust belt towns with closed factories stripped of machinery and equipment, shipped south of the border. Detroit is a disaster. It seems that the Dems just didn't know or care that these disenfranchised workers existed. The leadership enclosed itself in a bubble of PC liberal agendas that had no connection to what should have been it's priority, Job training for the unemployed in skills currently in demand would have been one of them, working to help college students pay for tuition and ease the crippling repayments on student loans would have been another but the years just went by and the Obama administration contented itself with being satisfied with the rise in the stock market and a sizeable drop in unemployment but employment statistics mean nothing if jobs that are being created hardly pay decent salaries.

Trump was clever. He tapped into a very large segment of the population which feels that it's been left out of the world of the global market with all the prosperity it's brought to some but not to others.

The Dems need new blood. We don't need to hear Nancy Pelosi's tired old rhetoric. She had her chance for years as House Speaker, Senate Majority Leader and lately Senate Minority Leader.

It's only the Democrat Party's failure to deliver for years that caused people struggling to make ends meet believe in a new Messiah like Trump who of course may or may not be able to deliver but for the moment he has his chance
The big 'if' (and it's a big if) is if the Democrats actually take a serious reflection on what happened during this election cycle, and act on those reflections.

I have read some articles where Democratic politicians have, rightly, blamed the loss on focusing primarily on people who would donate significant sums of money to the campaign, rather than on actually addressing the concerns of the voting populace.

I've also seen some articles where Democrats have blamed the loss on Comey's letters, fake news stories etc. Blaming external forces won't drive any improvements to the approach that the Democrats took in this election - they'll essentially run the same process in 2020, and hoping that their candidate beats the Republican candidate - this shouldn't inspire confidence in the Democratic Party.

If this pessimists about this Presidency are correct, there will be significant opportunities for the Democratic Party to gain, both in 2018, and in 2020. However the Democrats will have to approach these opportunities with clear initiatives to address voter concerns, rather than "We told you these guys would suck, check out a website to see how we'll fix it" by people who are perceived as having vision for the country, but without the perceived baggage that Clinton possessed.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:59 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

There are people who live in those towns whose families go back generations. it's not so simple to pack up and leave, move to other parts of the US in hopes of better prospects.
There are people in Mexico who have little choice but to leave for better prospects, and you have no sympathy for them at all.

And the Japanese are supposed to build another 500 auto plants in Nowheresburg that they don't need because it's tough to move. How does that make any sense?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:02 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
That one did cross my mind ...
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:05 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

There are people in Mexico who have little choice but to leave for better prospects, and you have no sympathy for them at all.

And the Japanese are supposed to build another 500 auto plants in Nowheresburg that they don't need because it's tough to move. How does that make any sense?
One thing I kept hearing about throughout the election campaigns, mostly from Sanders, but I think Trump touched on it as well, is infrastructure. It's no secret that a great deal of roads, bridges and other structures all over the country are in need of repair. Surely if someone is willing to invest in improving this infrastructure and putting measures in place to keep it properly maintained, that kind of a program would generate plenty of local jobs all over the country.

Or am I talking out of my arse again?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:09 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
The big 'if' (and it's a big if) is if the Democrats actually take a serious reflection on what happened during this election cycle, and act on those reflections.

I have read some articles where Democratic politicians have, rightly, blamed the loss on focusing primarily on people who would donate significant sums of money to the campaign, rather than on actually addressing the concerns of the voting populace.

I've also seen some articles where Democrats have blamed the loss on Comey's letters, fake news stories etc. Blaming external forces won't drive any improvements to the approach that the Democrats took in this election - they'll essentially run the same process in 2020, and hoping that their candidate beats the Republican candidate - this shouldn't inspire confidence in the Democratic Party.

If this pessimists about this Presidency are correct, there will be significant opportunities for the Democratic Party to gain, both in 2018, and in 2020. However the Democrats will have to approach these opportunities with clear initiatives to address voter concerns, rather than "We told you these guys would suck, check out a website to see how we'll fix it" by people who are perceived as having vision for the country, but without the perceived baggage that Clinton possessed.
Voter turnout was down.

Trump received fewer votes than milquetoast elitist Mitt Romney.

Trump was so offensive to Republicans that he helped the Libertarians.

Exit polls showed that a significant percentage of Trump voters don't even like him.

This was not a working class uprising. This was Democratic voters not bothering to show up. The key to Democrats winning elections is turnout, and they did not have quite enough of it (although they did manage to get more votes.)
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I kept hearing about throughout the election campaigns, mostly from Sanders, but I think Trump touched on it as well, is infrastructure. It's no secret that a great deal of roads, bridges and other structures all over the country are in need of repair. Surely if someone is willing to invest in improving this infrastructure and putting measures in place to keep it properly maintained, that kind of a program would generate plenty of local jobs all over the country.

Not talking out of your arse, as the Obama administration tried to push infrastructure spending to generate jobs. The challenge was that the administration was blocked because of funding concerns. Who did that? The Republicans.

$478B Infrastructure Bill Blocked by Senate GOP | The Fiscal Times
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:12 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

There are people who live in those towns whose families go back generations. it's not so simple to pack up and leave, move to other parts of the US in hopes of better prospects. Perhaps if the politicians who govern these rusty States got their asses moving and did their jobs by working full blast to attract investment from businesses all over the world then this would be a better solution. Half the jobs in the auto industry now come from Toyota, Honda and Hyundai who opened assembly plants in towns that were in the economic doldrums
People do it every day. My family moved to Texas in the 70s because the town where we were from --- the jobs had all dried up. I talk to people every single day who have moved to Texas from all over the country (and world) because of the economic opportunities here. Some relocated as far back as 50 years ago because this is where the jobs were. I just relocated to a new place, where I know nobody and have no family, because it was financially in my best interest. This is a country of immigrants --- people who have relocated from all over the world for a better life. This website is full of the same type of folks. These are two completely different mindsets (1) those who take responsibility and find a way to fix their own lives and (2) those who think the government should fix everything for them. Maybe some of these lazy voters should stop shooting up heroin and tattooing their necks with swastikas and quit waiting for somebody to deliver a well-paying job to their front door.

The thing that I find shocking is the number of Trump voters who had decent paying jobs (I think the average was $75,000 per year) but for some reason still felt they had been screwed by the government.

Last edited by Leslie; Nov 17th 2016 at 7:22 am.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:14 am
Bloody Yank

Building infrastructure is nice and I'm all for it, but it isn't going to create many new jobs.

Trump is talking about pulling out of NAFTA and slapping tariffs on imports. Putting aside the fact that this won't happen, this is a completely unrealistic way to manage an economic system. The US thrives on cheap imports, and living standards would fall if these pie-in-the-sky ideas are attempted in earnest.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Voter turnout was down.

Trump received fewer votes than milquetoast elitist Mitt Romney.

Trump was so offensive to Republicans that he helped the Libertarians.

Exit polls showed that a significant percentage of Trump voters don't even like him.

This was not a working class uprising. This was Democratic voters not bothering to show up. The key to Democrats winning elections is turnout, and they did not have quite enough of it (although they did manage to get more votes.)
If you're a Democratic strategist and you're blaming the loss on an unenthusiastic voter base, then you're still exposing yourself to a great unknown in 2020 - Trump may not be the Republican nominee in 2020, and you may be facing uphill battles because the Republican party seems to be improving their voter analytics and GOTV processes, as well as you can be sure that the amount of fake stories and media trolls will continue to try and paint the Democratic party in a certain light.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Building infrastructure is nice and I'm all for it, but it isn't going to create many new jobs.

Trump is talking about pulling out of NAFTA and slapping tariffs on imports. Putting aside the fact that this won't happen, this is a completely unrealistic way to manage an economic system. The US thrives on cheap imports, and living standards would fall if these pie-in-the-sky ideas are attempted in earnest.
One of the biggest challenges with Trump's isolationist anti-trade rhetoric has been the assumption that the United States can imperialistically make demands and that other countries will simply apologize and acquiesce. With the degree of globalization over the last 20 years, the economic implications of that intimidation may not be as severe as it would have been 20 years ago.

If he follows through on his rhetoric and bows out of NAFTA and the TPP, slaps tariffs on products made in China and in Mexico, there will be potentially economic reprisals.

If I'm a global manufacturer, why would I want to develop / expand production facilities in the United States, when I know those products couldn't be exported to large sections of the world, without being at an economic disadvantage as a result of tariffs?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:35 am
Bloody Yank

If you're a Democratic strategist and you're blaming the loss on an unenthusiastic voter base, then you're still exposing yourself to a great unknown in 2020 - Trump may not be the Republican nominee in 2020, and you may be facing uphill battles because the Republican party seems to be improving their voter analytics and GOTV processes, as well as you can be sure that the amount of fake stories and media trolls will continue to try and paint the Democratic party in a certain light.
The issue of Democratic turnout is simply a mathematical reality. Republican voters are fewer in number but more dedicated, while "independents" as a group tend to be center-right. So the Democrats have no choice but to rely upon turnout if they wish to keep their current constituents.

This is the reason why Democrats want to make it easy to vote while Republicans attempt to do the opposite. Both sides understand this.

It should be the reason why Democrats make charisma a priority, but not all of the Dems have figured that out. They're trying to find that magic policy that will move voters, when voters largely don't care much about policy per se.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If he follows through on his rhetoric and bows out of NAFTA and the TPP, slaps tariffs on products made in China and in Mexico, there will be potentially economic reprisals.
Boeing must be very concerned at Trump's rhetoric. The Chinese have been pretty smart in picking what to put tariffs on during previous trade spats and I doubt they'd hesitate to do it again.

A Trade War With China Would Be Bad News for Boeing - Bloomberg
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:48 am
I have a comma problem

Is there any reason why not? I had always heard that it would, but maybe that was campaign rhetoric.

I don't think he'd be able to get that one past the GOP-majority Senate/Congress. Too much vested interest in staying in NAFTA for those guys.

Trump might be good at making money for himself but I think one thing he will expose as the next four years go by is that just because you are rich, it doesn't mean you know the first thing about economics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.