Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Nov 16th 2016, 8:25 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by Boiler
but not a Republic.
what is your definition of republic here?
Old Nov 16th 2016, 8:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 and counting
Old Nov 16th 2016, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Similar to the US for simplicity.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 11:05 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Maybe a system where the electoral votes could be split according to the percentages in each state?
States are free to do that if they wish, and that's what Maine and Nebraska do now.

Everyone else uses winner-take-all because having a larger prize increases their influence.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 11:10 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

The US began as a confederation, but quickly abandoned that model for a more centralized form of government.

Switzerland is a confederation, modeled somewhat on the US but it has an executive body that is appointed by its legislature instead of a single executive who is (sort of) elected as does the US.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 11:20 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Well what a productive and polite answer. So insulting someone personally is the highest expression of the tolerant mind ? I often wonder why the extreme left and extreme right are so comfortable in attack and insulting mode ?

In any case you made point which I admit I hadn't considered that "illegals" is now a term that is considered negative in the PC world. I will definitely bring this up to some "undocumented foreigners" if that is an acceptable term and see their reaction. I can almost guarantee they will find it another strange thing they encounter in America. I know quite a few " undocumented foreigners" as they often need help in translations and other matters- it is very odd you consider a term negative they use themselves.

If my comment that "undocumented foreigners" use the term "illegals" themselves annoys you it may well be that at least concerning Mexican "undocumented foreigners" you perhaps don't know many that is all. I frequently will hear them using that term between themselves.

I also appreciate your posts whether I agree with them or not. I actually look forward to intelligent posts from either the right or left as an opportunity to learn from different points of view. Joining this thread has been instructive .Maybe if the left tried to open their mind and understand the right better, and vice versa, perhaps we would have ended up with two better candidates.
You're one of those people that pretends to be nice while what you're really saying are some very not-nice things.

Nobody is buying what you're selling. Nobody believes, not for a minute, that you sit around with your 'illegal' friends, who you love to help - out of the generosity of your big heart, and call them 'illegals' to their face all day. Nor does anybody buy your fantastical anecdotes about them all referring to each other as 'illegals' in front of you. You look ridiculous and you need to stop making a fool of yourself over this. It's not big and it's not clever and we've all seen it a million times before.

There are two possibilities, either (1) you have an unnatural obsession with the word 'illegals' and your own personal need to say 'illegals' in an unfettered way or (2) you're trolling me personally. Either way ----->

I made my point, in clear and succinct English, days ago. This doesn't take hours of debate and endless posts and paragraphs. It is a simple concept. You can disagree if you like (I also said that days ago) but you aren't going to shout me down or wear me down and you're never going to win this argument.

Last edited by Leslie; Nov 16th 2016 at 12:04 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 11:27 am
Account Closed

So does the BBC

Mexico steps up help for citizens in US after Trump win - BBC News
Old Nov 16th 2016, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
You're one of those people that pretends to be nice while what you're really saying are some very not-nice things.

Nobody is buying what you're selling. Nobody believes, not for a minute, that you sit around with your 'illegal' friends, who you love to help - out of the generosity of your big heart, and call them 'illegals' to their face all day. Nor does anybody buy your fantastical anecdotes about them all referring to each other as 'illegals' in front of you. You look ridiculous and you need to stop making a fool of yourself over this. It's not big and it's not clever and we've all seen it a million times before.

There are two possibilities, either (1) you have an unnatural obsession with the word 'illegals' and your own personal need to say 'illegals' in an unfettered way or (2) you're trolling me personally. Either way ----->

I made my point, in clear and succinct English, days ago. This doesn't take hours of debate and endless posts and paragraphs. It is a simple concept. You can disagree if you like (I also said that days ago) but you aren't going to shout me down or wear me down and you're never going to win this argument.
Actually perhaps you may have an open mind and consider that perhaps your above comments do not reflect reality. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt even if they disagree with me, and there is much about the debate and opinions on all sides which frankly I am trying to understand.

1. The word "illegals": Actually I never thought of it as a pejorative and as negative as you pointed out, and I admit I kind of resent the situation where I use a word which I have no idea that is now considered pejorative then hear that one can be criticized for such a word.

2. As far your comments "not buying...sitting around with your illegal friends" you couldn't be more wrong. I will answer because of my respect for your posts ( which I often find thought-provoking) that comment. My family attends Church which has one service per week in Spanish which is the one we attend ( as my wife is Hispanic), and we go to many social activities with people from the Church, as one can imagine living in the Midwest my wife likes to hear Spanish and be around Latin people. So we are quite familiar with the situation - I am unsure how much direct experience you may have had with such a community to judge my comments in the way you have. And yes we certainly feel obligated when one of them needs help with translation or navigating through the bureaucracy to help them especially considering the difficulties they can face. And yes it is quite common to hear in Spanish "us illegals face so many difficulties " or " I am illegal so I am afraid to drive to often" or similar usage of the word.

3. No I am not obsessed with the word illegal, just amazed how the vehemence you expressed about someone who would use the word. Perhaps you are right that using the word in English is pejorative in some circles, I certainly had never thought of that.

As far as looking ridiculous on what you call anecdotes, I would have thought we all learn from observations from others. If you speak Spanish and regularly or in the past have spent time with Mexican and Central American immigrants in the United States I certainly would be interested in what anecdotes you would have, whether they agreed with my political views or not. I am assuming , perhaps unfairly, you haven't spent much time in the homes of undocumented Mexicans or Central Americans so I am unsure how you can make such judgements.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I believe that's basically the point of the electoral college - to stop candidates focusing all their efforts on the population centres and ignoring the other 95% of the country. The electoral college may well be the best way to deal with a country as vast and diverse as the US.
To be clear, though - my main point was that we should not read too much into who won the popular vote this time around, because that was not the goal. We cannot assume, just because Clinton won the popular vote with our current setup, that she would have won the popular vote if the popular vote were to be the deciding factor.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 7:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
To be clear, though - my main point was that we should not read too much into who won the popular vote this time around, because that was not the goal. We cannot assume, just because Clinton won the popular vote with our current setup, that she would have won the popular vote if the popular vote were to be the deciding factor.
However, republicans are competitive in congressional and state races throughout California and New York (to take the two big examples.) So they campaigned hard and dragged Trump through on THEIR coat tails!

My district in rural NYS, for instance, used to elect a conservative democrat, now elects a Trump-supporting conservative Republican, Elise Stefanik. She won with a landslide this time, and Trump won big time up in our neck of the woods too (after Obama won handily in his two elections.)

So, I'm just pointing out that Republicans don't completely ignore the presidential race in states they won't win.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 7:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Originally Posted by Boiler
Similar to the US for simplicity.
Circular argument then. Take Ireland, for instance. It's a republic. But it's a parliamentary democracy, with structures closely modelled on the British, and not much in the way of US-like features.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 8:21 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The US began as a confederation, but quickly abandoned that model for a more centralized form of government.

Switzerland is a confederation, modeled somewhat on the US but it has an executive body that is appointed by its legislature instead of a single executive who is (sort of) elected as does the US.
Very impressive - you know your history sir
Old Nov 16th 2016, 9:32 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have argued this on other sites. Without the Electoral College the campaign would have been run far differently by both sides. No way of knowing how it may have turned out.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 10:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I have argued this on other sites. Without the Electoral College the campaign would have been run far differently by both sides. No way of knowing how it may have turned out.
They probably wouldn't have had Dumb and Dumber to chose from for a start.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:06 am
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
They probably wouldn't have had Dumb and Dumber to chose from for a start.
Without an electoral college, there would be no state primaries and the election cycle would probably be much shorter. So you're probably right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.