Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Point of information:

While you can have a southern accent (presumably in this case from the southern US) you cannot have an accent with a colour, since there are Black people from all areas of the country with the appropriate regional accents. Equally, you cannot have a "Hispanic" accent since that term encompasses people from a large number of different countries and/or from many areas of this country, al of which have different accents.

As you were.
Consider the source... it was just another lame attempt to take a dig at Clinton.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 5:17 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Consider the source... it was just another lame attempt to take a dig at Clinton.
Well yes, but someone has to uphold the quality of the digs around here.

I mean, standards, etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Rubio is not popular among Latinos. His nomination wouldn't do anything to move that needle.

However, if Rubio can deliver Florida's electoral votes to the GOP, that would make things that much harder for the Democrats.
Indeed, having Florida as his home state is much more important than trying to appeal to the various Latino and Hispanic groups (they are not a single voting bloc).
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 6:57 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
.... especially if Rubio cuts into the Hispanic vote. If he does get the nod expect him to spend lots of quality time on Univision. Her Hispanic accent is even worse than her southern and black accents.
???

Are you referring to her endorsement by former San Antonio mayor Julian Castro in mid-October? The fact that HC gamely tried a few words of Spanish for the mostly-Hispanic crowd was not nearly so important to them as were her ideas (conveyed in English) on immigration reform, and how they differ from those ideas of Trump, Cruz, Rubio, et al.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/us...s-backing.html

As for HC's supposed southern and black (?) accents, I'd love to know where you've heard these...
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
???

Are you referring to her endorsement by former San Antonio mayor Julian Castro in mid-October? The fact that HC gamely tried a few words of Spanish for the mostly-Hispanic crowd was not nearly so important to them as were her ideas (conveyed in English) on immigration reform, and how they differ from those ideas of Trump, Cruz, Rubio, et al.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/us...s-backing.html

As for HC's supposed southern and black (?) accents, I'd love to know where you've heard these...
Actually, I predicted that Clinton would pick Julian Castro as her running mate:
Clinton and the young Hispanic, Julian Castro, former mayor of San Antonio and HUD Secretary. That gives balance to the ticket - Old White Woman with a huge boatload of baggage, from DC and NY via Arkansas and Illinois and rising young heartthrob Latino from Texas. You heard it here first.
As for her fake southern and black accents, Google: "Clinton southern accent" and "Clinton black accent" for examples.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Feb 2nd 2016 at 7:35 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 7:45 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

As for her fake southern and black accents, Google: "Clinton southern accent" and "Clinton black accent" for examples.
Hillary lived in Arkansas for many years, and is married to an Arkansan. This forum abounds in folks who will tell you how their accents have unconsciously adapted to their surroundings and the prevailing modes of local speech.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 7:57 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration is a key issue for non-Cuban Latinos, an issue that is less important to Cubans who benefit from favorable treatment. And the vast majority of Latinos in the US are of Mexican descent; relatively few are Cuban. They may seem similar to outsiders, but the Cuban and predominately Mexican Latino communities don't have much cultural affinity for one another.

The GOP fires on all of the wrong cylinders to win over a voting bloc that wants lenient immigration laws, for obvious reasons. Republicans like to talk about the importance of the Latino vote, then go out of their way to alienate them for the sake of the white populist vote.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 8:39 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Cruz is riding on a wave of mid west Evangelical support but Evangelicals don't mean snot in California or New York. His Hispanic name wont do him any good either in getting the vote of that group. Cruz represents everything that is contrary to the hopes of the rising Hispanic middle class.

If you don't win California and New York you don't win the election

As for Bernie, who wants someone who intends to raise taxes to pay for his ambitious social programs? Not I. I pay too much tax already

That leaves the unlovable Hillary. What a rotten choice it may turn out to be. I think I'll skip voting for either of them and just vote on our State Ballot Propositions only.

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 2nd 2016 at 8:43 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:08 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

This sums up the GOP caucus very well...

Trump beaten by man who really believes all the horrible things he says
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:14 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
If you don't win California and New York you don't win the election
Not even close. The GOP can't win those states, period, nor did they need to in 2000 and 2004.

The swing/ purple states will decide the election. Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, Nevada, etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Immigration is a key issue for non-Cuban Latinos, an issue that is less important to Cubans who benefit from favorable treatment. And the vast majority of Latinos in the US are of Mexican descent; relatively few are Cuban. They may seem similar to outsiders, but the Cuban and predominately Mexican Latino communities don't have much cultural affinity for one another.

The GOP fires on all of the wrong cylinders to win over a voting bloc that wants lenient immigration laws, for obvious reasons. Republicans like to talk about the importance of the Latino vote, then go out of their way to alienate them for the sake of the white populist vote.
The Latino vote is not necessarily monolithic. Although they usually vote about 80% for the Democratic Party, many have conservative family values, religious values and aspirations to succeed economically that provides an insertion point for the right Republican candidate to cut significantly into that 80%. I am speaking from the experience of having represented hundreds of them over the past 35 years and having been on the board of a major Hispanic organization in east central Pennsylvania.

I can also state that immigration is not at the top of the list of issues amongst those with whom I am familiar. For example, a lot of them send their kids to Catholic school, which many of them can ill afford, rather than use the public schools. They are anxious to get and keep jobs, and massive new waves of people from Central America are competing with them for those jobs.

The ones I am familiar with are hardworking and honest, straightforward people who are trying to provide a better life for their kids. What I have seen over the years is that parents who speak no English bring their kids to translate. By the third generation, the kids know almost no Spanish unless they take it in school. I believe they are becoming assimilated perhaps as rapidly as the Italians who came here in a wave in the early 20th century.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Feb 2nd 2016 at 9:59 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 11:34 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Donald Trump aged 10 years overnight.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 11:46 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I am not following your election but this stand alone post made me laugh.
Good to know you got a laugh at that smarmyface's expense.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
The whole thread makes me wish I understood the whole process. It's a barking mad system.

I thought it was because I was an American in America that I didn't understand the primaries and Ohio etc. Now it appears Americans don't either.
We don't know. Nobody knows what the hell is going on once you get to this stage of the election.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 11:49 am
WTF?

You're aiming at my throat?!?!?
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 12:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Good to know you got a laugh at that smarmyface's expense.

We don't know. Nobody knows what the hell is going on once you get to this stage of the election.
I notice I became an American in that post So you mean you do know what's going on prior to this stage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.