2016 Election

Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
"...

The results will be truly dramatic. According to the well-respected Tax Foundation, the Simple Flat Tax will deliver an economic boost of tremendous magnitude. In the first decade, the Simple Flat Tax will:
  • Boost Gross Domestic Product by 13.9 percent above what is currently projected.
  • Increase wages by 12.2 percent.
  • Create 4,861,000 additional jobs." https://www.tedcruz.org/tax_plan/
"The Tax Foundation has received funding from ExxonMobil[citation needed] and from conservative political groups such as the Koch Family Foundations"

Oh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Foundation
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
"The Tax Foundation has received funding from ExxonMobil[citation needed] and from conservative political groups such as the Koch Family Foundations"

Oh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Foundation
You're relentless. Apparently the Tax Foundation was good enough for you to quote them to make your point. But now...
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:19 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

It is important to note that you only quoted that portion of the Tax Foundation's report that was based on a "static" analysis. The Tax Foundation article went on to look at the growth result of the plan. If that were taken into account, the expected growth in the economy would reduce the deficit to $768 billion over the same period.
"Our analysis finds that the plan would reduce federal revenues by $3.6 trillion over the next decade. However, the plan would improve incentives to work and invest, which would increase gross domestic product (GDP) by 13.9 percent over the long term. This increase in GDP would translate into 12.2 percent higher wages and 4.8 million new full-time equivalent jobs. After accounting for increased incomes due to these factors, the plan would reduce tax revenues by $768 billion." Details and Analysis of Senator Ted Cruz’s Tax Plan | Tax Foundation

I don't necessarily support a return to the Gold Standard without greater analysis, but the major reason some Republican candidates support it is to prevent the "quantitative easing" manipulation of the currency and therefore the economy based on Keynsian theories of economics. (With, in my opinion, decidedly mixed results. It has propped up the stock market and otherwise so distorted the economy we could see a major crash as a result.)

Nathan Lewis, also writing in Forbes, provides an interesting history of the results of the major European and Asian countries being on the gold standard between 1870 and 1914. It's worth a read: Forbes Welcome

As for 40 or so of economists thinking a return to the gold standard would be "nuts" don't forget that, as one president said: we could use some one-armed economists - when pressed, they always say, "On the one hand, this...but on the other hand, that."
I actually did say that, but you failed to read it. Admittedly, there was a typo where I put M instead of B, oops. But anyway, if as Giantaxe suggests the Tax Foundation are going to do a favourable analysis and they still find a $768B shortfall, then it doesn't look that good.

It's interesting that you think Bernie's supposed 1930s solutions aren't relevant to the 21st century economy, but somehow the 19th century economy is. There is nothing in that article to show causality between the Gold Standard and the level of growth, to me it seems nothing more that correlation.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

You're relentless. Apparently the Tax Foundation was good enough for you to quote them to make your point. But now...
I did?
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zargof
I actually did say that, but you failed to read it. Admittedly, there was a typo where I put M instead of B, oops. But anyway, if as Giantaxe suggests the Tax Foundation are going to do a favourable analysis and they still find a $768B shortfall, then it doesn't look that good.
Take a look at the board of directors (present and past) in the link I provided and you'll see that at the very least there's a distinct conservative bias.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:36 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the board of directors (present and past) in the link I provided and you'll see that at the very least there's a distinct conservative bias.
I don't doubt it. The trouble is no-one else has done a thorough analysis of Cruz's tax plan yet. Hopefully the Tax Policy Center are working on it, now they're done laughing at Trump's.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...896_story.html
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lamestream media article.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:48 am
I love my brick!

That's still based on the figures from the Tax Foundation.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Lamestream media article.
That's still based on the figures from the Tax Foundation.
Is that good or bad at this point?
Old Jan 5th 2016, 11:05 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting that you think Bernie's supposed 1930s solutions aren't relevant to the 21st century economy, but somehow the 19th century economy is. There is nothing in that article to show causality between the Gold Standard and the level of growth, to me it seems nothing more that correlation.

Gold standard absolute nuts. Economically illiterate politicians appealing to the nostalgia vote.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Gulp, The Trump Organization warns the UK - they might stop investing in Turnberry!!!
Old Jan 6th 2016, 3:29 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
Gulp, The Trump Organization warns the UK - they might stop investing in Turnberry!!!
That man is a wanker.

I hope Cameron flips the twat a V, just to see what he does.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That man is a wanker.

I hope Cameron flips the twat a V, just to see what he does.
We are talking about a guy who habitually makes out with pigs heads. More likely is the debate will be a sham.

I'd be more interested to hear about the candidate's opinions on North Korea's latest bomb test. Either it was another fake or it fizzled.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 3:44 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
We are talking about a guy who habitually makes out with pigs heads. More likely is the debate will be a sham.
He just ****s them, he isn't so considerate as to perform any kind of foreplay on them.

And when this guy thinks you're going too far - then you just might be

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I'd be more interested to hear about the candidate's opinions on North Korea's latest bomb test. Either it was another fake or it fizzled.
I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion on this. It was on the news this morning, but it seems to still be floating around in the ether at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.