Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

10 Things Most Americans Don’t Know About America

Wikiposts

10 Things Most Americans Don’t Know About America

Old May 18th 2013, 4:21 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 Things Most Americans Don’t Know About America

Oops - I hope that couldn't be construed as 'bashing' America....
Old May 18th 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ichigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sunshinestate
A brief musical interlude....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLu__NNxX_g

SS
Thanks for that. I preferred it to your other musical choices!
Old May 18th 2013, 4:41 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
This country is pretty big... I don't think a generalization about "USC" and it being tied to University of So Cal is very accurate. Nor does every citizen in this country like football or watches college football.
A very good point. As a well informed American that Sunshine State apparently is, I would imagine that he really should have thought of that.
Old May 18th 2013, 4:52 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: 10 Things Most Americans Don’t Know About America

Let us say the last game played ended very badly for South Carolina.....but this is the true religion of the South...college football...If you brits want to understand the US, you have to understand this game...
That seems rather a parochial attitude. I actually find it very strange that you would suggest that the only way to understand the US, is by understanding a game about which a large proportion of Americans obviously couldn't care less.
It may be popular with the people you mix with, but most people I know really don't care about it.
Maybe it's a redneck thing?
Old May 18th 2013, 4:59 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
That seems rather a parochial attitude. I actually find it very strange that you would suggest that the only way to understand the US, is by understanding a game about which a large proportion of Americans obviously couldn't care less.
It may be popular with the people you mix with, but most people I know really don't care about it.
Football is like politics, many don't care for it here, but they do understand it.
Old May 18th 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Football is like politics, many don't care for it here, but they do understand it.
I fail to see the similarities between politics and American college football, apart from the obvious of 2 teams playing a nonsensical game against each other.
The people I know that don't care for it, don't care to understand it either, it really is of no consequence to them.
Old May 18th 2013, 5:29 pm

Really?

Since a Democrat is in office, isn't all benign?

Look at our media, and tell me if it is not true that ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, NPR don't lap at the Democrat party trough?

Now, most complain about Fox news, and rightly so, as they lap at the Republican trough, but they are one against all those.

The US media is totally editorialized now, but the main ones have connections directly to this white house, so why should we expect them to cover the news in an unbiased fashion?

I mean I know that most in the UK favor the Democrat party, but then criticize our media...

Here is a visual aid for you...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...68910720_n.jpg

Yeah...they will be objective...oh yes....LOL.

SS
As objective as a post from a self confessed republican supporter, with a completely politically unbiased poster, I suppose.

You're sounding like one of the americams that the author of the article spoke about. You know... The ones that think that the rest of the world actually care.

Most people in the UK don't favour one american political party or the other, they simply don't GAF.
Old May 18th 2013, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

People in the UK don't favour one american political party or the other, they simply don't GAF.
And some of us in the US as well. Well apart from thinking they are both shite.
Old May 18th 2013, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
And some of us in the US as well. Well apart from thinking they are both shite.
Exactly
Old May 19th 2013, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

My mother has a lady friend (widowed in March 2010) who is now in some kind of romantic relationship with an American man who has now lived in England (Gloucestershire) for 26 years, and he has said that in order for an American to be fully aware of all the downsides and pitfalls and negatives of living in the USA is not by continuing to live in the USA but to experience living in another country...in his case the UK.

However he took this widowed lady over to visit his relatives in Kentucky and she found it all to be a very pleasant experience, according to my Mum - the first time she had been to America, and she was particulary impressed with the standard of customer service in most retail outlets and restaurants etc, and how many free samples of all sorts of things were available to customers in supermarkets etc. Oh, and how friendly people were over there, but she didn't say whether it was superficial or genuine..I'd guess it was the former, but what do I know never having been to America.

But she said she wouldn't really like to live there without saying exactly why - maybe because she lives in a lovely house in the Cotswolds in an area called Midsummer Hill, which sounds quite idyllic.....and she is a landscape artist and writes articles for a local wildlife preservation group.
Old May 19th 2013, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

So if you called a US Citizen an USC, you think they would understand you at first?

True though, USC means Southern Cal in the west but University of South Carolina in the South.

You do realize the true religion of the US is American college football don't you?

If you want to address and American, call him or her an American not an "USC". It will ingratiate yourself with those you want to teach rather than telling the idiot what he should expect to be called in his or her own land.

Are you a UKC?

OR UKS?

SS
I don't get what the issue is about referring to a person as a United States Citizen over an American? If you have a conversation with someone, you're not going to refer to an American as a "USC" you're going to probably say American. So because it's written that way, it bothers you?
Old May 19th 2013, 3:04 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Football thing is very regional too.. Up here in the frozen north hockey (college, high school, town, as well as NHL) is the popular sport. They do have football at HS and college level, but it is not really the major sport simply because the outdoors is covered with snow and ice for much of the traditional football season.
Old May 19th 2013, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I don't get what the issue is about referring to a person as a United States Citizen over an American? If you have a conversation with someone, you're not going to refer to an American as a "USC" you're going to probably say American. So because it's written that way, it bothers you?
It would appear that for some strange reason he assumes that everyone on BE uses the abbreviation "USC" in everyday conversation, when referring to an American. That would be rather like those of us that post here, using the term "BE" to someone that has never used Britishexpats, you just wouldn't do it.
Old May 19th 2013, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by robin1234
Football thing is very regional too.. Up here in the frozen north hockey (college, high school, town, as well as NHL) is the popular sport. They do have football at HS and college level, but it is not really the major sport simply because the outdoors is covered with snow and ice for much of the traditional football season.
Agreed. He's fairly obviously basing his comment on his own regional experience.
Old May 19th 2013, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
And baseball is a pretty popular sport (more so to some people...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.