Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:21 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Originally Posted by Nutek
Some of them have "Flavor Packets"*, apparently.
My personal fave were the peanut satay ones. Paired well with cheap alcohol and a meltdown over coursework deadlines. I was so classy back then
Old Oct 4th 2016, 10:35 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
classy
I'm well known for this.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's a holdover from Prohibition. There is only one wholesaler licenced by the province in Alberta. It's even more expensive back east because it's still owned by the LCB in those provinces.

You can't even legally move alcohol interprovincially except in small quantities, some guy in New Brunswick is challenging it in court after he got busted bringing back a carload of booze from Québec.

Personally I quite like it because you don't have alcoholism like you do in Montana, not to the same extent anyway and you don't have teenagers puking all over the place on the weekend like you do in the UK.
And yet I buy wine in Ontario (when visiting overnight I think you can bring back more than on a day trip.) Cheaper and more choice at the LCBO than in our lame local liquor stores in NY.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 1:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Personally I quite like it because you don't have alcoholism like you do in Montana, not to the same extent anyway and you don't have teenagers puking all over the place on the weekend like you do in the UK.
I get it that this is a benefit, but it was still a bit of a surprise when I was paying more than twice what I would for a 12 pack of domestic beer back home!

I still managed to get shitfaced though. No puking either and surprisingly, no hangovers which surprised the shit out of me.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I still managed to get shitfaced though. No puking either and surprisingly, no hangovers which surprised the shit out of me.
I hope you were on the toilet at the time. That could be a lot of shit.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 2:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I hope you were on the toilet at the time. That could be a lot of shit.
Metaphorical shit only. But there is something quite nice about being able to wake up at 8:45 in the morning feeling reasonably OK after getting drunk in your late 30s. Especially since I hardly drink more than one beer a month these days, if that.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:42 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

I get it that this is a benefit, but it was still a bit of a surprise when I was paying more than twice what I would for a 12 pack of domestic beer back home!
I've only been to Toronto once (work), and had no clue about the LCBO stuff at the time (so ended up checking out the bar scene), but I too was surprised over the cost of alcohol.

I suspect this is due to staying in the central part of Toronto but I forgot my toiletries bag, so went to a drug store to buy bare essentials and remember it coming to something like $40CAD too. That was painful for essentially a toothbrush/toothpaste and some shampoo/body wash.

Did you have one of your famous kebabs pre-pass out?
Old Oct 5th 2016, 3:44 pm
I have a comma problem

I've only been to Toronto once (work), and had no clue about the LCBO stuff at the time (so ended up checking out the bar scene), but I too was surprised over the cost of alcohol.

I suspect this is due to staying in the central part of Toronto but I forgot my toiletries bag, so went to a drug store to buy bare essentials and remember it coming to something like $40CAD.
Everything was more expensive, but the beer just seemed moreso.

Did you have one of your famous kebabs pre-pass out?
No, I had poutine. Lots of poutine.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We do pay more for just about everything here, and the weak CAD$ isn't helping much, but some items are just over inflated due to government price controls, or taxes.

Things like this inflate consumer pricing.

British Columbia Milk Marketing Board
Old Oct 7th 2016, 9:58 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Pound dropped below $1.19 for a brief period earlier. Now recovered to $1.24.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:07 am
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Pound dropped below $1.19 for a brief period earlier. Now recovered to $1.24.
news site are reporting it as a software glitch causing a mass sell.

Really annoying because it keeps taken a hit yet nothing has changed, we're still in the damn EU and May could be a typical politician and change her mind about the exit notice next year again.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you have been, but I heard that May announced that a hard exit was occurring in March next year. That creates a lot of uncertainty.

I think the dip from $1.18 to $1.14 was caused by automated trading once it went below $1.20

http://news.sky.com/story/flash-cras...stery-10608056
Old Oct 7th 2016, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

What's interesting is that even if it was just an automated trading error causing the drop, there don't seem to be any fundamentals supporting a recovery.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 6:27 pm
Sasstronaut

XE rate is sitting at $1.24 atm
Old Oct 12th 2016, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This graph gives a better picture showing that GBP is undervalued

How low can the pound go? - MoneyWeek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.