Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Old Jun 9th 2017, 3:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Originally Posted by mrken30
You know she called the election just before holiday season so they could get a better deal on buying their holiday money
I hadn't realized that by "they", you meant residents of the US.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 4:01 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We're only marginally better off. It'll still cost about $200.00 to buy £150.00. That's not bad, don't get me wrong, but it's not a hell of a lot different to how it was last year when the pound was at $1.30.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
We're only marginally better off. It'll still cost about $200.00 to buy £150.00. That's not bad, don't get me wrong, but it's not a hell of a lot different to how it was last year when the pound was at $1.30.
But you forget, a lot of things are still priced at when the dollar was $2 to £. Legoland was £32 a day, in CA it is $80 a day.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I was referring more to expats in general who TM had forgotten about.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 6:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's stable at $1.27 ish. I believe it will hang around this rate for the next few years. I don't see much changing with the current Government.
The 25-year average is $1.64. If I'm right and they have to go for a much softer version of Brexit similar to what Switzerland has got, then theoretically that could happen fairly quickly and Sterling would go up sharply most likely.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_
The 25-year average is $1.64. If I'm right and they have to go for a much softer version of Brexit similar to what Switzerland has got, then theoretically that could happen fairly quickly and Sterling would go up sharply most likely.
Averages can sometimes be misleading, for example , Warren Buffet walks into a room of pre-schoolers. Everyone in that room is a millionaire on average. The economic and political climate has changed a lot over the last 25 years. What was the 100 year average? What was the previous 25 year average? 10 year average?
Old Jun 11th 2017, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Averages can sometimes be misleading,
You're just being mean.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 4:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
You're just being mean.
That's his usual mode of operation.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 4:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand the conservative government could collapse, there be another election and Corbyn get into power. Then there would be a whole line of people throwing effluent into the fan. You might just as well go to Vegas and put it all on red (or black) better chance of predicting what might happen.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:07 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, my point was I think it's very unlikely indeed that Sterling will remain stable. I see on the news HM Treasury is thinking of "supporting" it, which basically means they're really scared now the bottom is going to fall out as business confidence has fallen off a cliff.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Personally I can't see how May can stay on promising a hard Brexit and she'll lose any credibility she's still got if she backs away from it.

I said a couple of days ago the logical thing to do is to hold a referendum on replacing Parliament with a roulette wheel.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Absolutely, my point was I think it's very unlikely indeed that Sterling will remain stable. I see on the news HM Treasury is thinking of "supporting" it, which basically means they're really scared now the bottom is going to fall out as business confidence has fallen off a cliff.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Personally I can't see how May can stay on promising a hard Brexit and she'll lose any credibility she's still got if she backs away from it.

I said a couple of days ago the logical thing to do is to hold a referendum on replacing Parliament with a roulette wheel.
Considering the mess the Government is in, the pound has hardly moved. Compare this with Brexit , where it fell over 10%.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

It's dropped more sharply against the CAD. Perhaps it's just a reached a point where it can't go down much further.

I think you'd have to be quite brave to say there aren't going to be any major shifts over the next couple of years with Trump in power and a hung Parliament in the UK.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's dropped more sharply against the CAD. Perhaps it's just a reached a point where it can't go down much further.

I think you'd have to be quite brave to say there aren't going to be any major shifts over the next couple of years with Trump in power and a hung Parliament in the UK.
Both the US and the UK are taking actions which are resulting in the devaluation of both currencies. Hence my theory on why the GBP/USD exchange rate probably won't change much over the next 2 years during Brexit and Trumpation.

Against other currencies, who knows.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 11:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Well yes, as both countries stand a good chance of going bankrupt, so zero = zero is pretty stable I guess.

And then Canada and Mexico can annex the US. Personally I think we ought to do it in a checkerboard pattern just to piss people off.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The dollar has had it's worst run for 6 years. Thank you Mr Trump.

The dollar is doing something it hasn't done in 6 years. Here's what it means, Business News - AsiaOne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.