Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Old Aug 15th 2016, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Originally Posted by Steve_
The purpose of the exercise is to increase the money supply, which stimulates the economy, it also has the effect of weakening the currency.

This whole argument has been completely overblown, at the end of the day trade comes and goes. People need to read the rest of the Lisbon Treaty, not just Article 50. The EU is bound to those principles by law, such as the freedom of movement of people. They can't just cave on the basis that they want to carry on trade.

And various countries have got axes to grind with the UK, for example Spain in relation to Gibraltar. The Germans would be quite happy to take financial business away from the city of London, etc.

This is another argument that is overblown, it implies that everything is sweetness and light in Switzerland. The Swiss had a currency crisis of their own recently because of trying to peg their currency to the Euro, then they abandoned it and that caused turmoil across Europe - if they were in the Euro, that couldn't have happened.

Also, they voted in a referendum a year or so ago to leave the Schengen Area, thereby abrogating their EEA-style agreements with the EU, and they will face all kinds of problems if the vote isn't overturned in the next few months.

The Swiss situation is one of the reasons the EU will take a hard line with the UK, because they can't say to the Swiss you must abide by your agreement on freedom of movement to have free access to European markets and then compromise with the UK. And Switzerland has never been in the EU, so they have more leverage because they might want to join eventually. The UK has zero leverage because it's leaving.

Anyway, as I said I will be completely unsurprised when Sterling drops to $1.20. Not sure if it will go lower than that, depends on how much of a hash job of it David Davis makes.
Steve, I meant exports not imports.

A good article on UK's trade agreements: Economists not as hot on trade deals as you might think
Old Oct 4th 2016, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

New low $1.27 to the pound great for us as tourists not so good for the UK or people here with pensions etc.

Brexit fears send British pound to new 31-year low - CNN
https://apple.news/ArelTFcWNSrmv_l3Dyxov4g
Old Oct 4th 2016, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

Like a Status Quo song... down, down, deeper and down...
Old Oct 4th 2016, 4:23 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

yep, shoot me now. just when i want to move money out of the UK to USA, hopefully it picks up again as the dollar sinks from Trump being Elected lol (i wish )
Old Oct 4th 2016, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This might be a good time to move money from the UK to the US, especially if the pound is likely to fall further.

It it the 40th anniversary of the IMF bailout this year.
http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=33617
Old Oct 4th 2016, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Will we never see it at £1 = $4.80 again ? Can we have the Empire back ?
Old Oct 4th 2016, 5:09 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
yep, shoot me now. just when i want to move money out of the UK to USA, hopefully it picks up again as the dollar sinks from Trump being Elected lol (i wish )
Yup, yup me too. During 'Brexit' when the pound was riding high, I decided to pay off some bills here (and buy a bag) using my UK cards 'just in-case'. In my naivety I expected the UK to vote remain though.

Originally Posted by scot47
Will we never see it at £1 = $4.80 again ? Can we have the Empire back ?
I did a semester of university in the U.S when the pound was riding at almost $2.00. It was glorious... I could afford the 'fancy' ramen noodles, and even an ipod (that I still use). Went out the window returning to the UK though (my 'lavish' lifestyle... not the ipod).

Last edited by livinginnyc; Oct 4th 2016 at 5:13 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 6:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
.. I could afford the 'fancy' ramen noodles.

Extravagant! I've seen those in the store, but I wouldn't think of buying them!!
Old Oct 4th 2016, 6:18 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

Extravagant! I've seen those in the store, but I wouldn't think of buying them!!
Some of them have "Flavor Packets"*, apparently.

*salt-in-a-bag
Old Oct 4th 2016, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Move to Canada and exchange for CAD$, still a decent rate if exchanging for Canadian....😉
Old Oct 4th 2016, 6:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Move to Canada and exchange for CAD$, still a decent rate if exchanging for Canadian....� ����
Yeah, I did all right last week.

Made it way too easy to go mental on my debit card though. Also, CAD$30+ for a 12 pack of beer - WTF is that all about???
Old Oct 4th 2016, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Booze is heavily taxed and a revenue generator for the provincial governments.

Some provinces like BC also control the distribution of booze so even if there are private liquor stores they have to buy the booze from the govt at inflated prices.

Canada us very backwards when it comes to alcohol and it's pricey for sure.

Home brewing is pretty popular because of the cost of buying beer in stores.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yeah, I did all right last week.

Made it way too easy to go mental on my debit card though. Also, CAD$30+ for a 12 pack of beer - WTF is that all about???

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 4th 2016 at 6:50 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 6:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Booze is heavily taxed and a revenue generator for the provincial governments.

Some provinces like BC also control the distribution of booze so even if there are private liquor stores they have to buy the booze from the govt at inflated prices.

Canada us very backwards when it comes to alcohol and it's pricey for sure.

Home brewing is pretty popular because of the cost of buying beer in stores.
I was in Alberta, but not far from the provincial border. I don't remember it being quite so expensive when I was there in '08 but maybe I just bought more beer this time.

It was only Molson as well, nothing fancy
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's a holdover from Prohibition. There is only one wholesaler licenced by the province in Alberta. It's even more expensive back east because it's still owned by the LCB in those provinces.

You can't even legally move alcohol interprovincially except in small quantities, some guy in New Brunswick is challenging it in court after he got busted bringing back a carload of booze from Québec.

Personally I quite like it because you don't have alcoholism like you do in Montana, not to the same extent anyway and you don't have teenagers puking all over the place on the weekend like you do in the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
New low $1.27 to the pound great for us as tourists not so good for the UK or people here with pensions etc.

Brexit fears send British pound to new 31-year low - CNN
https://apple.news/ArelTFcWNSrmv_l3Dyxov4g
And it's going to keep getting worse, because the Fed is going to increase interest rates and David Davis is going to make a pig's ear of the negotiations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.