Expat Package

Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Segush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat Package

Hi all,

I have been seconded to a sister company in Bangkok a couple of times and spent three weeks here in June and I am currently spending 6 more weeks here. They seemed to be happy with me and there are talks about me being offered an expat package here, based on the fact that the manager I am currently working for here is leaving the company so they would like me to fill the gap.

I do not have a clue what a good expat package is, I need to be much better off to come here from the UK and I would only come if I were able to save money for my future, as I currently do not own any property in the UK and only have savings.

I have been told they are not going to tell me what the package but I have to discuss with them what I would need to be offered to come here.

Talking to my manager he said they would accept something like the following:

Net salary after tax: 10 k US dollars per month
+
Accommodation allowance of 3 k US dollars per month (or 90 k baht)
+
1 return flight home / year

Some other small benefits would be the usual healthcare, pension scheme etc.

I work in oil and gas and will be working as a senior process engineer.

What should I be asking for? I can only afford to come if I can save whilst working here and have a better quality of life. In the UK I am on circa 13 k US dollars per month but before tax (self employee).

Any help?

THANKS!!

Last edited by Segush; Oct 16th 2012 at 1:25 am. Reason: Forgot some details
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:02 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Package

I lived in BKK for many years although I don't any more . With a package like that you're laughing all the way to the bank. So that's 300,000 a month salary with a 90,000 a month towards a place to live . Lets say that you use all the housing money and get somewhere nice in town and that just leaves your salary .

If you spend 100,000 of that a month , let's call it 3000 a day . Well you know the price of things in BKK and you won't be going out every night because you're working so pretty much everyone could live off that really . Even spending that you will still be saving about 200,000 a month or about 4K Sterling . Which works out at about 50K a year . I think if you asked most people in the UK right now if they wanted a job where they could save that amount of cash a year they would bite your hand off. I don't know what you saved in the UK each month , only you can compare but I would go for it.

Personally when I lived in BKK we spent about 50,000 a month on average and that was for a family of four . we didn't go out much though , but we still had a comfortable life.

Good luck.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:09 am
Just Joined

nonthaburi,

Thanks for your reply, that is what I thought. I have done the maths few times and it all seems very interesting indeed.

I save in the UK but not much as costs are high there, plus I am highly taxed.

I do not go out every night, only Fridays and or Saturdays. Yes I get food here and there for lunch/dinner but I am quite happy spending 500 baht in a food court, I do not need the spending 7000 baht in a bistro restaurant night.

It sounds interesting to me because it appears I would be able to save for retirement/own property if I keep things under control, which I am sure I can.

Waiting for the paper contract as we speak...
Old Oct 21st 2012, 1:49 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great deal. Have fun.

Nonthaburi mate, you need to get your location changed on here
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 1:15 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Sounds like a great deal. Have fun.

Nonthaburi mate, you need to get your location changed on here
I probably should do seeing how I'm in Riyadh now , but .....

Home is where the heart is !

On holiday in Thailand at the moment, it's so green.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks you two. Expecting the offer in paper, hopefully this week... Will probably take it.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Compare the offer with your UK T&C.

You should be looking for at least a 50% upgrade all round.

There are sites where you can check up on what salary is paid.

I never worked overseas without my package being at least double, before tax, what I'd be paid in the UK.
Times may have changed these days.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
Compare the offer with your UK T&C.

You should be looking for at least a 50% upgrade all round.

There are sites where you can check up on what salary is paid.

I never worked overseas without my package being at least double, before tax, what I'd be paid in the UK.
Times may have changed these days.
I do not think the offer equates to 50% higher after tax of what I get paid in the UK ... something to think about...
Old Oct 28th 2012, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Segush
I do not think the offer equates to 50% higher after tax of what I get paid in the UK ... something to think about...
Don't listen to the 50% nonsense. Just go to Thailand and enjoy living there. You're on a good deal, will be able to save plenty and get to live in a great country.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 6:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackwow
Don't listen to the 50% nonsense. Just go to Thailand and enjoy living there. You're on a good deal, will be able to save plenty and get to live in a great country.
+1
Old Oct 29th 2012, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackwow
That is a really poor reason to go overseas to work. The worst.
You either go for the cash or you go to enhance your CV and future career prospects.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 3:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

You either go for the cash or you go to enhance your CV and future career prospects.
Not sure what your problem is? I spent a few years in Thailand on an ex-pat deal. It wasn't 50% more than my regular salary, more like 5% - but on a western salary you can live like a king - which I did and I regret nothing. I have a lot of good memories from my time there.

Thailand is a fun country to live in - especially if you are reasonably well off which the OP will be. It's not like going to some nasty ass crap hole in the middle east.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not sure what your problem is? I spent a few years in Thailand on an ex-pat deal. It wasn't 50% more than my regular salary, more like 5% - but on a western salary you can live like a king - which I did and I regret nothing. I have a lot of good memories from my time there.

Thailand is a fun country to live in - especially if you are reasonably well off which the OP will be. It's not like going to some nasty ass crap hole in the middle east.
Thanks all of you for your advice. I have enjoyed so far Bangkok, but not sure in the long term. If I do not take the job I will have the option of coming here every couple of months to help out on projects. Still thinking about it, I like the idea of a bigger house with pool all year round and that sort of life too...
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:47 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I don't think that is true - certainly not 100 percent reason. It might have been some 20 years ago but the world has changed.

I moved abroad as life was getting so crappy and frustrating in UK and had the opportunity to move to Asia, a better life and more friends in the country I moved to (Singapore). Admittedly, low income tax had a bearing but certainly not the full picture.

If you want to do it, do it. Life is way too short. Enjoy while you can
Old Nov 1st 2012, 1:46 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

OP,

Peoples reason for moving out of the UK all differ.

Some won't move unless their are mega-bucks involved, some move for a decent wedge with a lower cost of living, some move for career advancement, some move for a better family life..

At the end of the day, you need to, firstly, look at the proposed location. If you can see yourself staying there for 3-5 years, then look at your proposed income and expenditure and do the math. Do not, under any circumstances, do it the other way around, no amount of cash will make up for miserable family life...

I am on my 3rd overseas posting, on a similar package to you. I came from Dubai, where the cost of living was far greater than it is here.

With a decent percentage increase, and lower costs, it was a no brainer..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.