Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Employer offering a move to Bangkok..

Employer offering a move to Bangkok..

Old Feb 5th 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer offering a move to Bangkok..

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Cheers for that MP.

Awaiting the offer letter, but now looks nearer 300k TBT, 11k TBT pm for housing / utilities and car and driver provided. Contract will be written in USD (using 30TBT - 1USD), paid in TBT, with allowances paid locally. This is, in fact, a pay rise in relation to DXB.

Office is based in Chatuchak, and now attempting to gauge the renatl market. Have dog, so preferably looking for 3BR villa, central for social life, golf course close but not 1 1/2hr drive to work.

Can you recommend any rental websites or agents? Also, are there 'Western Expat' areas, along the lines of DXB, or is everyone pretty much mixed together. Im easy either way..

Also, what tax?
Hi, sorry for the late reply.
Tax? Thai income tax, as one of our friends kindly mentioned earlier. You have the signs of being in the Middle East for a while!

At that level of pay, you'll be paying about 45%, or someone will. Hence my indication to clear whether the company will be covering the tax for you and you actually receive in your pocket the 300k or thereabouts. Otherwise you'll be paying the tax and end up with pretty much half. However, I 99.9% expect that your company will pay your income tax for you. In that case, you will be very comfortable with all your other expenses covered already!

The rental market is a bit of a mine field here as prices are often well over priced and certainly availability is excessive. This doesn't compute I know, but welcome to T.I.T. (Nontaburi you know what I'm referring to!)
I looked at 50+ condos when I came here. Agents often try to sell you what they want to get rid of rather than what you are really looking for. What you can get for your budget varies wildly, so just keep looking until you're satisfied. You can always rent another month in a serviced apartment until you're happy. One thing about the condos, and maybe some houses, often pets are not allowed, but leave that to the agent to find.
I was successful with Savills in the end and my landlord was not Thai, and has been rather accommodating.

As Nontaburi mentioned, the areas in Central BKK are rather mixed and you'll probably think everywhere looks the same at first
Sukhumvit has all the night-life and tourists, plus temptation. Depends if you have a family or not. I moved away from Sukhumvit to the banking area in Sathorn after becoming a family man

Good luck with your move. PM me if you wish.
regards
MP
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:40 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Hi, sorry for the late reply.
Tax? Thai income tax, as one of our friends kindly mentioned earlier. You have the signs of being in the Middle East for a while!

At that level of pay, you'll be paying about 45%, or someone will. Hence my indication to clear whether the company will be covering the tax for you and you actually receive in your pocket the 300k or thereabouts. Otherwise you'll be paying the tax and end up with pretty much half. However, I 99.9% expect that your company will pay your income tax for you. In that case, you will be very comfortable with all your other expenses covered already!

The rental market is a bit of a mine field here as prices are often well over priced and certainly availability is excessive. This doesn't compute I know, but welcome to T.I.T. (Nontaburi you know what I'm referring to!)
I looked at 50+ condos when I came here. Agents often try to sell you what they want to get rid of rather than what you are really looking for. What you can get for your budget varies wildly, so just keep looking until you're satisfied. You can always rent another month in a serviced apartment until you're happy. One thing about the condos, and maybe some houses, often pets are not allowed, but leave that to the agent to find.
I was successful with Savills in the end and my landlord was not Thai, and has been rather accommodating.

As Nontaburi mentioned, the areas in Central BKK are rather mixed and you'll probably think everywhere looks the same at first
Sukhumvit has all the night-life and tourists, plus temptation. Depends if you have a family or not. I moved away from Sukhumvit to the banking area in Sathorn after becoming a family man

Good luck with your move. PM me if you wish.
regards
MP
Thanks for the heads up re Thai tax. Yep, work pays it and issues a tax cert I have been told.

Although I have been trawling through any site I can find for an idea of villas, I have decided to wait till I get on the ground. Will be over there sometime in the next few weeks for customer meetings, before returning to Dubai and packing, so will try and visit a few places to give me a feel for whats out there.

Thanks for all the assistance, MP.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:33 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Well, moved into a serviced apartment in SKMV Soi 16 and house hunting.

It looks like I have taken some advice fom here and decided against SKMV area for a house. Been to see a few and the quality is nowhere close to what I would expect for the money.

As a result, I am about to sign a lease on a place in Nichada Thani.

Anyone here know about the place? Must admit, haven't been there myself, I am currently in South Korea for a few weeks and have left the other half to do the hunting...