Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Employer offering a move to Bangkok..

Employer offering a move to Bangkok..

Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:53 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Employer offering a move to Bangkok..

Hello, Thailand Bored...

Having been marooned in Dubai for the last 5 years, my employer has finally seen sense and is offering a couple of moves out of the SandPit.

One that is really interesting me is Bangkok. Been on holiday a few times, and I know the type of work Ill be doing. It will be a full "feather-bed" package, housing, utilities etc paid, so my salary is basically for spending and saving.

I was looking for an idea of what you guys feel is the minimum per month required. As I said, I plan on saving, as well as enjoying myself (I am partial to the odd sundowner!!) so looking for a ballpark that would be at the upper end of comfortable...

TIA for any help..

Forgot to say, industry is Oil & Gas, I work for one of the Big 3 service companies....

Last edited by TGFKASE; Jan 17th 2012 at 3:54 am. Reason: Additional info
Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:56 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer offering a move to Bangkok..

BKK is like anywhere in that you can do things cheaply or not depending on ...........

Some people will tell you they have a good life on 30,000 a month, others will tell you they couldn't live on less than 100,000.

It really depends on you.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 4:03 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
BKK is like anywhere in that you can do things cheaply or not depending on ...........

Some people will tell you they have a good life on 30,000 a month, others will tell you they couldn't live on less than 100,000.

It really depends on you.
Thx for the post, non. As concierge, do you happen to know of any posts indicating cost of living etc? Had a search but couldn't find anything.

Also, I just converted my current salary (paid in sterling) into baht ( I will probably be paid in either GBP or USD, depending on contract type) and it appears that it translates to approx 250,000 TBT per month. Hmmm, seems high, related to your post....

Last edited by TGFKASE; Jan 17th 2012 at 4:06 am.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

You jammy bugger.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:08 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Thx for the post, non. As concierge, do you happen to know of any posts indicating cost of living etc? Had a search but couldn't find anything.

Also, I just converted my current salary (paid in sterling) into baht ( I will probably be paid in either GBP or USD, depending on contract type) and it appears that it translates to approx 250,000 TBT per month. Hmmm, seems high, related to your post....
well if all that is for spending or saving you are in a very good position. Have a good life on 70-100 ish a month and save the rest. You'll be working so you can't go out on the town that much. How much would you spend on a night out in London say 100-200 pounds ? But you wouldn't do that every night and it's the same here.

What are your vices ? they might cost money here. Let us know how you get on.

There have been a few posts concerning cost of living but every one is different, that's the problem. Until you get here and see what works for you you can't really say.

Also , it's different living here than being on holiday. That;s worth thinking about too.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

250k plus housing, depending upon your circumstances, family, age, experience etc, sounds about right, particularly if you are in O&G. However, if you've been living in Dubai, surely you've been earning more and should not drop your salary just because you're coming here??

I get paid in USD, but I never see it, and I receive it in Baht. Then what I save I gamble with the rate of exchange and buy sterling and send it offshore, which is in our favour in recent 3 years or so.

My Wife cooks most of the time, and maybe we'll eat out about three times a week, and I'm certainly not tempted to visit cowboy on a weekly basis these days! haha! We spend probably around 30-40,000/month just on eating, groceries, etc.

Electricity is expensive here I think, but if you've got utilities covered with your housing, then you won't have anything to worry about.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Rgds, MP
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh, PS - Who's paying your tax? You or the company? As that could take well over 100k off your salary if you're paying it.
MP
Old Feb 1st 2012, 6:46 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by MonsterP
250k plus housing, depending upon your circumstances, family, age, experience etc, sounds about right, particularly if you are in O&G. However, if you've been living in Dubai, surely you've been earning more and should not drop your salary just because you're coming here??

I get paid in USD, but I never see it, and I receive it in Baht. Then what I save I gamble with the rate of exchange and buy sterling and send it offshore, which is in our favour in recent 3 years or so.

My Wife cooks most of the time, and maybe we'll eat out about three times a week, and I'm certainly not tempted to visit cowboy on a weekly basis these days! haha! We spend probably around 30-40,000/month just on eating, groceries, etc.

Electricity is expensive here I think, but if you've got utilities covered with your housing, then you won't have anything to worry about.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Rgds, MP
Originally Posted by MonsterP
Ohhh, PS - Who's paying your tax? You or the company? As that could take well over 100k off your salary if you're paying it.
MP
Cheers for that MP.

Awaiting the offer letter, but now looks nearer 300k TBT, 11k TBT pm for housing / utilities and car and driver provided. Contract will be written in USD (using 30TBT - 1USD), paid in TBT, with allowances paid locally. This is, in fact, a pay rise in relation to DXB.

Office is based in Chatuchak, and now attempting to gauge the renatl market. Have dog, so preferably looking for 3BR villa, central for social life, golf course close but not 1 1/2hr drive to work.

Can you recommend any rental websites or agents? Also, are there 'Western Expat' areas, along the lines of DXB, or is everyone pretty much mixed together. Im easy either way..

Also, what tax?
Old Feb 1st 2012, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

hmunker is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you recommend any rental websites or agents? Also, are there 'Western Expat' areas, along the lines of DXB, or is everyone pretty much mixed together. Im easy either way..
One of the most popular sites for Thailand..for rentals/purchase housing

http://www.bahtsold.com/en/home
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:56 am

Cheers for that MP.

Awaiting the offer letter, but now looks nearer 300k TBT, 11k TBT pm for housing / utilities and car and driver provided. Contract will be written in USD (using 30TBT - 1USD), paid in TBT, with allowances paid locally. This is, in fact, a pay rise in relation to DXB.

Office is based in Chatuchak, and now attempting to gauge the renatl market. Have dog, so preferably looking for 3BR villa, central for social life, golf course close but not 1 1/2hr drive to work.

Also, what tax?
Chatuchak is a good area to be. Good transport connections to go into the city either on the skytrain or Viphivadi Rangsit road towards Din Daeng. If I were you I would consider living in the Northern suburbs somewhere, maybe around Chaeng Wattana or Rattana Thibet somewhere. You could get a 3b/r detatched house from 15-20 upwards depending on location and quality. Best thing might be to stay in a hotel for a month until you have a look around. I can recommend the Richmond Hotel on Rattana Thibet which isn't too far away.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:57 am

forgot to say but Queen Sirikit park by JJ Mall is lovely too.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 6:14 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by hmunker
One of the most popular sites for Thailand..for rentals/purchase housing

http://www.bahtsold.com/en/home
Thanks for that....
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 6:17 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Chatuchak is a good area to be. Good transport connections to go into the city either on the skytrain or Viphivadi Rangsit road towards Din Daeng. If I were you I would consider living in the Northern suburbs somewhere, maybe around Chaeng Wattana or Rattana Thibet somewhere. You could get a 3b/r detatched house from 15-20 upwards depending on location and quality. Best thing might be to stay in a hotel for a month until you have a look around. I can recommend the Richmond Hotel on Rattana Thibet which isn't too far away.
Work is going to arrange the hotel for the inital month or so. Having talked with a few of the guys in the office there, it appears that they are all living down around the higher Soi #'s on Sukhumvit. Will check out the areas you mentioned, but may aim for Sukhumvit, to be in the same area as work colleagues..
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:09 am

Work is going to arrange the hotel for the inital month or so. Having talked with a few of the guys in the office there, it appears that they are all living down around the higher Soi #'s on Sukhumvit. Will check out the areas you mentioned, but may aim for Sukhumvit, to be in the same area as work colleagues..
SKMV is where all the nightlife is and it's downtown. Depends what you are into really. If you're on your own it's probably good but if you are with family it's probably not so good.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

...Also, what tax?
Thai income tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.