Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

WA 457 When are we due an update

WA 457 When are we due an update

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA 457 When are we due an update

Originally Posted by derekgoforth
there should be a comma - more, suitable teachers

as in more teachers to follow who are suitable for the job in Aus, do i really need to explain the word 'suitable'?? i think its fairly clear, people who are suited to the job, the country the life etc etc.

perhaps people should worry more about how their comments come across rather than analysing each others.

this thread has got very silly and i would say a couple of people are using it to vent their frustration, maybe its gone on long enough and we should let the thread die?
Not sure if others comments are raising issues derek. Perhaps if you stay off the thread then there will be no ambiguity? Not having a go just stating a fact. Thread is a long one so there is interest, I know you don't need any updates as you have all your stuff sorted and you've not given any information to update the thread. Hoepfully you can accept this the way it is mean't and no take offence when none is offered
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez folks, take a chill pill

Gems
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:26 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Jeez folks, take a chill pill

Gems
Hmm, we're teachers Gems, need no class A on the record

Cooler
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really nice

Originally Posted by lekkilizard
I haven't been on the forum for ages and am absolutely shocked by what I have been reading.

In response I just want to add my own degree of financial reality to all of this if I may.

Please read carefully before adding any comments.

Like Hello WA we arrived in Perth in Jan 09. My OH has also had an awful time trying to gain employment. Today I have dropped him off to do some stock taking on a casual basis at a local camping store. He will do this for the next 2 days and then go onto an auto parts store and stock take for them. This weekend we have had friends visiting from other parts of WA. 3 of them are teachers so all employed. We sat at the table and folded leaflets for supermarkets and DIY stores and put them into bags. My OH got up at 6am to put them into letter boxes. He will do this again this coming weekend. This will net him AU$120 ( just under 60 quid ).

Back home (we both worked in education but I am the Teacher) we had a joint annual income of just under 100,000K before tax. OH left a well paid secure job to come chase the dream with me. Our income at present is AU$78,280 before tax. When converted to pounds sterling that is 38,000K. I am guessing you have done the maths so you appreciate that there is a 62,000K shortfall (AU$ 127,000)

Yes the weather here is better etc.. but the cost of living even with a subsided rent fro DET is very comparible to UK.

Yes we are here and before anyone shoots me down Yes we made those choices and Yes we would do it all over again however, all I am saying is that emigrating is not always as simple as we would want it to be despite whatever visa route we take.

I am saddened and compassionate for those who were interviewed and offered sponsorship and are on hold indefinately however, the reality is that this has not been easy. Far from it. We have been blessed and placed coastal 4hrs from Perth. However, if I am honest at the minute I am jealous of those of you still in the UK. Like Hello WA I have my OH wanting to work but not getting the opportunities because of the economic down turn. Despite being a well educated professional man who 6 months ago would have been snapped up by many employers here he is struggling to get basic employment. Seriously he will be applying for McDonalds and will be grateful if he gets the job !

The grass is not necessarily greener.

I hope those of you who are still patiently or not so patiently waiting hear something soon. Do not let your dreams die just appreciate they may come with a price tag !

Regards

N
Hiya Nicky
Can't believe M's been down the leaflet delivery route as well, lol. B's just done a batch and earned.....wait for it, $100!!! He's got another batch to do next week, for another $100. He got this "lucky break" cos someone's on holiday for 2 weeks - can't complain though, that's enough money for 1 week's groceries.
Sorry guys, forgive me if I sound wingey, I still love to see my kids splashing around in the ocean every weekend and the amazingly friendly folks we've come to call our good friends in such a small space of time! The people here have been nothing but amazing to me and my family, and I absolutely love working at the school I am in - don't know about anyone else, but I've found the behaviour of students here a lot easier to deal with than I ever did in the UK, but as you put it Nic, there's a lot of sacrifice involved and I can't believ just how much I miss my parents! Those of you coming out soon, spend as much time as you can with family, give loads of hugs and kisses, especially if you've got little nephews and nieces -it's sooooo not he same seein them on skype!!!
Enough already - do I miss the UK? Absolutely!!!! But Oz is beautiful so I'm going to give it a really good go, but it's soooo tempting for me to get back right now.....stop me Nic!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point

your right about the family we have tried to see ours a lot more regually since we found out we were going, just glad they are already talking about coming out and booking tickets now we know more about where we are being placed.

all the best to those out there and missing home
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I agree about kids being better behaved here, Ive got a child who is nearly
17. Compared to what his cousins are getting up to back in the UK his friends are shockingly well behaved. Hubby has also had no problems in the classroom.

Also you have to see the big picture, especially those with kids. Yes we are managing on one wage. However I can see that my kids are less likely to get into trouble here and will have far more opportunities here than in the UK.
Long term I believe it will be worth it and we are loving the lifestyle and health benefits.

Im also probably going to retrain as you can do anything from Engineering to Nursing distance learning here. So for bored partners this is something to consider. Im going to do something distance learning and it will be in a occupation with shortage of workers.

Gems
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

blackjack041 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gems
Hi,
I agree about kids being better behaved here, Ive got a child who is nearly
17. Compared to what his cousins are getting up to back in the UK his friends are shockingly well behaved. Hubby has also had no problems in the classroom.
Absolutely! being able to teach without the issues of employing behaviour management strategies. I have found that students want to learn and actively participate in lessons - it is fantastic; plus know what the consequences are if they step out of line. I also prefer the smaller class sizes, even though they are the highest they have been for a long while (apparently) but nothing compared to the UK!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Just heard from a friend who was part of the January 2010 group going out to WA that was on hold, that he has been advised today that his sponsorship is going ahead under a different visa - RSMS 119/857 or something. Apparently it gives him permanent residency, but he is tied to the employer for 3 years to keep the PR.

Hope all of you who were originally offered a January 2010 start date in WA have had this email.

The rest of us "wait" for the world economy to resettle!

Briar
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:07 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Just spoken to someone else who got the same email - they are primary!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:02 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Just spoken to someone else who got the same email - they are primary!
Excellent!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point

cool, does that mean all the primary guys due to go out in jan 10 are now all still going, does anyone know?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:12 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I've only spoken to one person and she doesn't want to put it on facebook incase that others haven't been told they are going!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hello WA
Hiya Nicky
Can't believe M's been down the leaflet delivery route as well, lol. B's just done a batch and earned.....wait for it, $100!!! He's got another batch to do next week, for another $100. He got this "lucky break" cos someone's on holiday for 2 weeks - can't complain though, that's enough money for 1 week's groceries.
Sorry guys, forgive me if I sound wingey, I still love to see my kids splashing around in the ocean every weekend and the amazingly friendly folks we've come to call our good friends in such a small space of time! The people here have been nothing but amazing to me and my family, and I absolutely love working at the school I am in - don't know about anyone else, but I've found the behaviour of students here a lot easier to deal with than I ever did in the UK, but as you put it Nic, there's a lot of sacrifice involved and I can't believ just how much I miss my parents! Those of you coming out soon, spend as much time as you can with family, give loads of hugs and kisses, especially if you've got little nephews and nieces -it's sooooo not he same seein them on skype!!!
Enough already - do I miss the UK? Absolutely!!!! But Oz is beautiful so I'm going to give it a really good go, but it's soooo tempting for me to get back right now.....stop me Nic!
Hey you. Will email you and sort out a skype chat !!!

Love to you all

Nxx
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Alk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: WA 457 When are we due an update

This is good news but don't want to get too excited yet (as I have not yet received email!). When did people start to get emails? Has it only been today or a few days ago?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I've only spoken to one person and she doesn't want to put it on facebook incase that others haven't been told they are going!
There are at least 4 on facebook who are confirmed as going now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.