Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Western Australia

Teaching in Western Australia

Old May 4th 2009, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

cale1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Western Australia

My wife is a teacher in the Uk but a few years ago was told that she needed a four year degree to teach in WA. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

She has a 3 year teaching degree and has been teaching in the Uk for nine years. I am an Australian so no visa problems for her.

All help and advise gratefully received

Cale Sinfield
Old May 4th 2009, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Herds2Oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Western Australia

Originally Posted by cale1977
My wife is a teacher in the Uk but a few years ago was told that she needed a four year degree to teach in WA. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

She has a 3 year teaching degree and has been teaching in the Uk for nine years. I am an Australian so no visa problems for her.

All help and advise gratefully received

Cale Sinfield
Hi Cale1977

See my reply to your thread on Immigration etc Forum.

britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607105

Good luck
Hs2Oz
Old May 8th 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

You are right as the West Austrailan College of Teaching (WACOT) will not accept a teacher for registrtion who has less than a four year university qualification. Although I understand that this is now a subject of discussion with the governing board of WAOT. My colleague who applied for registration with them was denied as he had a three year degree - despite the 10 year experience he had in UK schools. So weird!
Old May 8th 2009, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

cale1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im an Aussie stuck in the Uk because of this.....

It seem so odd she has a three year degree in teaching! not just your average degree in say art and then a 1 year teacher status!
Old May 9th 2009, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cale1977
Im an Aussie stuck in the Uk because of this.....

It seem so odd she has a three year degree in teaching! not just your average degree in say art and then a 1 year teacher status!
It's Australia wide too so no chance of getting accepted elsewhere in the country either.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Cale - it is a minefield out there with visas, residency and citizenship at the moment. Hope it works out for you and your family.
Briar
Old May 30th 2009, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Evee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cale

If you are an Aussie, can't your wife get into Australia as a permanent resident? She could then do a Graduate Diploma in Education to make up the 4th year - as a permanent resident she wouldnt have to pay international fees, and then would be able to teach in Australia. I know of 2 people who had been teaching in UK on 3 year degrees but who wanted to move to Australia, and both sold up everything to fund studying in Australia. They applied for and were successful in gaining student visas/university places in Victoria for Graduate Diplomas, and they are both now teaching in Australia. Not sure what visa route they took after the student visa though. Can find out if you are interested.